Lower shift boot glued on?

DWR

TJ Addict
I can’t for the life of me seem to get the lower shift boot or plate off my jeep (to repair/replace my sloppy shifter). Are they glued down from the factory? Or is there something I’m missing, pretty sure I removed all the bolts (tried shifter boot first, then plate neither will budge)

@DWR

Pop off the trim on the shifter console. It is probably black.

There are 4 metal tabs on each corner... a flat head screwdriver should suffice.

The boot is held in place by the shifter trim console.

I am assuming you have a manual, when you say shifter.

If its the first time it has been removed, try prying it with a screw driver. Its rigid enough to take the abuse.

If you are replacing the shifter with another OEM unit, don't forget to install a new oil gasket if needed. Mine had completely disintegrated and the shifter rides on the oil seal.

Reactions: DWR
Once you get the inner shifter boot removed and prior to installing the new boot; check the tightness of the (4) shifter bolts. When I replaced the boot on my '01; I found the (4) bolts quite loose. After tightening the bolts; I found the shifter slop was gone....

Reactions: DWR
Once you get the inner shifter boot removed and prior to installing the new boot; check the tightness of the (4) shifter bolts. When I replaced the boot on my '01; I found the (4) bolts quite loose. After tightening the bolts; I found the shifter slop was gone....
THIS, I had a similar sloppyness issue, and this fixed it as well.

If the shifter bolts are tight, the spring is fresh, the oil seal is new, the bushing on top is not notched/worn and finally the ball is smooth and the slots are straight like the photo below; then you should have a very firm shifter.

1643232616629.png

1643232663306.png

THIS, I had a similar sloppyness issue, and this fixed it as well.

If the shifter bolts are tight, the spring is fresh, the oil seal is new, the bushing on top is not notched/worn and finally the ball is smooth and the slots are straight like the photo below; then you should have a very firm shifter.

View attachment 305134

View attachment 305135

I was actually planning on buying this kit https://www.allstategear.com/Jeep-AX15-Shift-Lever-Kit-5252042-p/5252042.htm which looks like is the same as your first picture, I just wanted to inspect everything prior to ordering to make sure it’s what wrong/needed.

Problem is I can get the lower boot or plate off to access the shifter.
@DWR

Pop off the trim on the shifter console. It is probably black.

There are 4 metal tabs on each corner... a flat head screwdriver should suffice.

The boot is held in place by the shifter trim console.

I am assuming you have a manual, when you say shifter.
Not talking about the console part… the console is already out, I’m talking about the floor plate and/or lower shifter boot so I can actually see/access the shifter

Reactions: Sancho
I was actually planning on buying this kit https://www.allstategear.com/Jeep-AX15-Shift-Lever-Kit-5252042-p/5252042.htm which looks like is the same as your first picture, I just wanted to inspect everything prior to ordering to make sure it’s what wrong/needed.

Not talking about the console part… the console is already out, I’m talking about the floor plate and/or lower shifter boot so I can actually see/access the shifter
Don't order the Allstate Gear part. I looked into them and saw too many bad reviews. Summit has the same kit, but it is a Mopar original kit. It may be more expensive, but it is good insurance that you have the best for your Jeep. Before you order it though, you may not need the whole kit. You can get by with just the bushings and oil seal as long as your other parts are in good shape.

The link says Crown, but a Mopar kit came in: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-5252042

Last edited:

4 screws hold the inner boot to the floor pan cover which is held in by 9 screws. the transfer case shifter bracket covers a portion of the floor pan cover so you need to remove a few of those screws too. the pan cover is "glued in" with double sided tape and foamy shit that is most likely deteriorated. pull that sucker right off.

i cleaned the gunk off the bottom of the floor pan cover and the matching area on the tunnel then applied some foamy type double sided tape to re-create the seal and applied a thin strip of sound mat on the seam from the cover to the tunnel when i swapped out my shifter and it's a sealed as it was before.

*edit* nevermind, that's for the nv3550. looks like you have the aisin.. after further inspection, it looks like that one is not user serviceable.. the b&m shifter instructions make no mention of removing the floor pan cover for the aisin but require it for the nv3550. remove the 4 7mm screws that hold the inner boot then stick a flat blade between the boot and the pan, it'll be stuck on there from being there for 20+ years.. i'd recommend ordering a new inner boot as well.

Last edited:
Problem is I can't get the lower boot or plate off to access the shifter.

Not sure IF the shifter/boot setup for the 1997 AX-15 is the same as the 2001 NVG-3550, but when I replaced the inner boot; the 4 screws holding the plate/boot were difficult to access and turn. I used a stubby screw driver and a small vice grip to initially loosen the screws.

Not sure IF the shifter/boot setup for the 1997 AX-15 is the same as the 2001 NVG-3550, but when I replaced the inner boot; the 4 screws holding the plate/boot were difficult to access and turn. I used a stubby screw driver and a small vice grip to initially loosen the screws.
My four screws holding the shifter boot had a hex on top with a slot. I just used the hex.

Ok I got the plate off finally with the help of a small screwdriver to pry it away from the double sided tape

Pretty sure I found the issue(s)… Debaiting on replacing the shaft bit as the slots do look a bit worn. Opinions?

CD5C52F4-5FC1-4DC1-92DE-A95A02D1875F.jpeg
DED4F62D-A6FA-49DB-807C-5CFD78C1FDAB.jpeg
1EE15995-C20B-4F1F-8951-5DECEFE3E91B.jpeg
1B13675D-2CDF-4860-B6EE-773A40889640.jpeg

Don't order the Allstate Gear part. I looked into them and saw too many bad reviews. Summit has the same kit, but it is a Mopar original kit. It may be more expensive, but it is good insurance that you have the best for your Jeep. Before you order it though, you may not need the whole kit. You can get by with just the bushings and oil seal as long as your other parts are in good shape.

The link says Crown, but a Mopar kit came in: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cwa-5252042

Normally I’d totally agree with you about sticking with mopar but I only see good reviews out there for it? Where did you see bad ones? Quite a price difference when not talking about a sensor or something that it’s KNOWN that our jeeps are picky about