Lower Steering Shaft Replacement Options

I haven't seen 03-06 Mopar shafts available in quite some time. I seem to recall maybe Crown or somebody making one but I can't find it either.

I imagine your options are either Borgeson or junkyard shafts. (The only other solution I see is to convert to a Saginaw steering box (like the PSC) and use the 97-02 shaft.)

You can collapse an 03-06 shaft to fit on a 97-02 box, but you cannot extend the 97-02 shaft far enough to fit on an 03-06 OEM-style box.

So, I've replaced everything steering related in my 06 except the shafts, and still have a bit of a wobble problem (significantly better than it was though). The input shaft on the old gearbox was chewed to absolute hell when I took it out, so I can only assume the shaft was as well. (my dumb ass didn't check as I had to get to work after installing the box).
I wanted to throw a Mopar shaft in to replace it but I can't seem to find one anywhere, are they even available anymore? Or am I gonna have to dump my wallet for the Borgeson?
My borgersen would not fit , may want to get a clear understanding with the seller on return policy.

We did something similar to my buddy when we did a front stretch and steering box move last winter. Going to use similar on mine this winter.

That is more or less what I have now with the Skinny Steering kit from Red Rock 4WD. Honestly I like it a LOT better than the stock steering setup and I don't have the plastic to melt anymore.

Reactions: Rescue6
I haven't seen 03-06 Mopar shafts available in quite some time. I seem to recall maybe Crown or somebody making one but I can't find it either.

I imagine your options are either Borgeson or junkyard shafts. (The only other solution I see is to convert to a Saginaw steering box (like the PSC) and use the 97-02 shaft.)
Crown was making them at one point, but must have discontinued them. It seems like a lot of parts for 05-06 are becoming scarce.

As for the Borgeson shaft..... if you live anywhere that there is rain or snow. I would strongly suggest having it powder coated.
I don't know what type of steel they use but mine rusted real bad and one of the joints seized after about 8 months. I painted mine with rustoleum prior to installing it.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Old thread but I need to replace mine on an ‘01 TJ. The only one I’m seeing from crown says 97-99. Is there anything for the ‘01 or is this a website typo?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/crown-automotive/lower-steering-shaft-wrangler-tj
https://www.crownautomotive.net/Steering-Shaft-Lower/52078705.html
97-01 will all use the same shaft, slightly shorter than the 02-06 one, due to the longer steering box.
If you're not in need of a bearng I have a shaft that I literally only bought to take the bearing from, and the shaft itself is too short for my 06.

97-01 will all use the same shaft, slightly shorter than the 02-06 one, due to the longer steering box.
If you're not in need of a bearng I have a shaft that I literally only bought to take the bearing from, and the shaft itself is too short for my 06.

Much appreciated. I do need the entire thing though. Good to know that the site is just a typo. Thanks!

97-02 use one style lower shaft. 03-06 with the Mercedes box (ZF) use a different style lower shaft.
The Crown unit you are looking at is garbage, if you are running larger tires. I went thru two of them.
I eventually ended up getting a used lower shaft, which is still functioning fine.

97-02 use one style lower shaft. 03-06 with the Mercedes box (ZF) use a different style lower shaft.
The Crown unit you are looking at is garbage, if you are running larger tires. I went thru two of them.
I eventually ended up getting a used lower shaft, which is still functioning fine.

That sucks to hear. I’ll look for oem in that case. I’d prefer new but the new price for a mopar shaft is obscene.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Apologies for slight thread drift, but .... Anyone know the bolt size for the firewall end of the intermediate steering shaft connection?
Thanks!