Lowering a lifted jeep

Hey all, so I'm looking at buying a friends jeep, it's an 06 rubicon that needs a little TLC but has a solid powertrain. Its lifted a bit too high for my taste (about 4 inches I think) I wanna drop that down to about 2-2.5, would it be as simple as new springs and shocks or are there going to be unforeseen issues?

Smart choice. Can you post some pics of the front steering and track bars, as well as the pitman arm at the steering gear box?

Reactions: MaloStapalo
List of issues:
Heater core needs replacing
Ambiant air sensor
The climate control is stuck on defrost
And theres a wiring issue with the blinkers.

All that considered, he only wants what he owes on the loan, which is something like 8 or 9 k for it

Also it has in the ballpark 115k miles

Heres the photos yall asked for

20181201_110548.jpg

20181201_110533.jpg

20181201_110552.jpg

20181201_110551.jpg

20181201_110610.jpg

20181201_110503.jpg

20181201_110605.jpg

20181201_110506.jpg

20181201_110611.jpg

20181201_110505.jpg

20181201_110516.jpg

20181201_110526.jpg

20181201_110524.jpg

Springs yes. Shocks yes. Looks like the front adjustable track bar adjusted to its shortest setting. You might need a shorter one. Adjustable control arms? May need to re-set angles. Doesn't look like he did any bumpstop work, so you are good there. JKS swaybar links will need to be shortened, looks like you have plenty of adjustment there. Everything else looks stock from what I can tell.

Reactions: Robert Gessler
Looks like it would a straightforward job. You will need to adjust the control arms; the disconnects look like they may end up too long; the heim joint on the trackbar looks dry and pitted; no bumpstop extensions.

If dropping to 2-2.5" I would pull the entire lift and sell it on Craigslist or similar. Then buy some Moog factory style control arms, BDS or Pro Comp coils, Rancho 5000X shocks, JKS trackbar, relocation bracket for the rear, and set up bumpstops correctly.

Ask him where the tires and wheels are that go with the lift. Hard to believe someone would lift it like that and keep the stock tires...what would be the point??

I am doing the same thing. I have the Rubicon 4.5" lift and just ordered 3" springs. If my 33s wont work, I will buy 32 11.5 15 or do the 1.25" body lift and keep the tires. I need this to be a "jump in and drive 500 miles to Moab, wheel and drive back home and it be somewhat not tedious. My off road to on road is 10% off 90% on mostly.... In hindsight, the JK may have been the Jeep I should have purchased for the comfort, but my Rubi is quite nice!!

I am doing the same thing. I have the Rubicon 4.5" lift and just ordered 3" springs. If my 33s wont work, I will buy 32 11.5 15 or do the 1.25" body lift and keep the tires. I need this to be a "jump in and drive 500 miles to Moab, wheel and drive back home and it be somewhat not tedious. My off road to on road is 10% off 90% on mostly.... In hindsight, the JK may have been the Jeep I should have purchased for the comfort, but my Rubi is quite nice!!

My Jeep has 33's and 3 inch springs. I've done the exact same home -> moab -> home trip with my Jeep two times and it has worked fine. I think the recommended lift heights for 33's are a little too high and make the tires look too small. My 3" lift has left me with adequate uptravel on road and more than enough flex off-road.

I bought mine with a 4 inch lift and lowered it. I sold the old lift and put on a set of 2.5" OME springs with Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and stock control arms. It rides better than stock now.
As other said I would sell the lift and buy some quality parts. If the upper control arms are adjustable I would keep them. The Rubicon Express front track bar on the Jeep will not work with a lower lift. It will hit the differential when the suspension flexes. You will need a different track bar. I used Metalcloacks and it works perfectly. I have also heard JKS makes one that will fit. Unless you are a good welder it will be more difficult to go back to stock since the upper track bar mount has been drilled out.
The heater stuck on defrost is usually a sign of a vacuum leak and is an easy fix. Try reverse flushing the heater core before buying a new one. They are notorious for getting clogged.