Lowering my TJ

rjinaz86323

Grasslands of Arizona
Supporting Member
As we (wife and I) have gotten older it is getting harder to get in our TJ. It currently have a 4 inch lift and 33's. What would all need to be changed, parts wise, as I can do the work myself, if I wanted to go to a 2 1/2 or 3 inch lift. I would go to 31's or 32's at the same time. We don't do any real rough off-roading, just old fire roads, or something on the order of Smiley Rock up by Jerome, AZ. Thx

I would just go back to stock and add a 1 inch body lift with 31's. This would give you the ability to use all stock components and avoid chasing issues that come with suspension lifts. Plus all of the parts are cheap.

Reactions: Vtx531
I would just go back to stock and add a 1 inch body lift with 31's. This would give you the ability to use all stock components and avoid chasing issues that come with suspension lifts. Plus all of the parts are cheap.

if possible, I would agree with this.

The one possible hiccup is if there has been an aftermarket track bar installed that requires drilling out the frame end track bar mount, such as JKS or Currie/Rockjock. It's not a simple bolt-on mod to go back to stock since the rod end taper won't go back into a drilled out hole. I've been down this road before and ended up staying with a 2" suspension lift because that's the lowest I could go with the aftermarket track bar and not have massive loss of uptravel due to diff cover interference.

if possible, I would agree with this.

The one possible hiccup is if there has been an aftermarket track bar installed that requires drilling out the frame end track bar mount, such as JKS or Currie/Rockjock. It's not a simple bolt-on mod to go back to stock since the rod end taper won't go back into a drilled out hole. I've been down this road before and ended up staying with a 2" suspension lift because that's the lowest I could go with the aftermarket track bar and not have massive loss of uptravel due to diff cover interference.
I could be way off but isn't it possible to use a tappered tie rod flip insert? I had the impression that they were the same size and tapper.
I had to have an insert welded into my bracket as the PO drilled it out to 3/4. I'm running an aftermarket bar so didn't need the tapper.

Problem solved

Boxer-650x900.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Jamison C
I could be way off but isn't it possible to use a tappered tie rod flip insert? I had the impression that they were the same size and tapper.
I had to have an insert welded into my bracket as the PO drilled it out to 3/4. I'm running an aftermarket bar so didn't need the tapper.

As I understand it the commercially available taper inserts require a counterbore to be used on the track bar mount, which required a rather expensive tool I didn't have and would be unlikely to use again.

Here's the thread where i asked about it.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/options-for-returning-to-stock-after-currie-track-bar.44998/

Reactions: 06lj
If you are talking about going down only one inch, does anything really need to be changed besides the coils? An inch isn't that big of a difference.