M100 Trailer - Tire suggestions.

jmbstudios

Guitar Slinger
Supporting Member
I have an M100 that my parents gave me.. it used to be my grandfather's and it's being passed down..
The tires on the M100 are done. Probably 20yrs old. And the last time a family member borrowed it they bent the edge of one of the wheels so the tire doesn't hold air. They were nice enough to not fix it.

So I picked up a couple of used American Racing wheels from a guy in town. They are a lot wider than the stock wheels which is fine with me. It's gonna be used in the Sand Dunes sometimes, so wider footprint is better.

The wheels are 15x10.
Looking for recommendations on some offroad tires. Somewhat affordable.

Any suggestions?

Here's a pic with the wheel.

20210607_180721.jpg

Lug pattern between the trailer and TJ don't match. The trailer is 5x5.5.
No big deal, as I said above I picked up some wheels. Now just gotta find the tire to put on those wheels.
I have BFG on the Jeep. Wanna go with something a bit more affordable yet offroad worthy.

Falken wildpeak. Maybe patagonia. Since its just a trailer.

Honestly id look online at walmart. Put in your dimensions and see what comes up. Doesnt have to be a name brand. Have them delivered to walmart. They'll mount and balance for 10 bucks a tire. Lifetime rotation. Its the cheapest way ive found. And i shop all the big tire places.

Reactions: JMT and jmbstudios
Falken wildpeak. Maybe patagonia. Since its just a trailer.

Honestly id look online at walmart. Put in your dimensions and see what comes up. Doesnt have to be a name brand. Have them delivered to walmart. They'll mount and balance for 10 bucks a tire. Lifetime rotation. Its the cheapest way ive found. And i shop all the big tire places.

Thanks. Great suggestions, I will check those out.

It sounds like you’re leaning that way, but I would stay away from ST (special trailer) tires that are meant for trailers only. These are almost exclusively manufactured in China & are known throughout the RV community as “China Bombs”. I’m sure you can figure out why they are called that. Any LT (light truck) tire would be fine. However, if you bring any trailer to Discount Tire they will only sell & mount ST tires (company policy). They told me that if you just carried the wheels to them that you could get any tires you want. It sounds like that’s what you’re doing anyway.
If you buy used tires, check the DOT date codes. You don’t want anything that’s 5 or 6 years old. Tires on a trailer will almost always fail due to age before the tread wears out. The exception to this might be buying some new vehicle “take-offs” from a tire store or 4X4 shop. These would be essentially new tires fit a good price.
Good luck!

As a long time owner of a 1946 Bantam T3-C trailer, here are my observations on wheels/tires for 1/4 ton military trailers:

1. 10" wide wheels will be too wide. The tires will rub against the tub unless you have a ridiculously shallow backspacing and then the tires will continually hit the finders. Use a wheel no wider than 8", and preferably no wider than 7". The wheels that originally came with the trailer or wheels of a similar width are actually the best option.

2. Make matching the wheels and/or tires to the tow rig a very low priority. It looks cool, and allows the trailer tires to be interchangeable with the tow rig tires in the even of a tire failure, but the number of times that you will be actually doing that are probably zero. Big tires on a trailer are unnecessary and open a can of worms best left closed.

3. Do use P rated or LT rated tires rather than trailer rated tires. While it may be true that some Discount/America's tire stores won't mount anything but an ST (trailer) tire on a trailer, that is not the case with every Discount/America's tire store. I have had P rated and LT rated tires mounted on the wheels for my Bantam trailer at America's tire stores, also my current military NDCC tube tires.

4. Don't bother with aggressive tires on the trailer. Its doesn't have a traction axle so it doesn't need traction tires. Any AT will do.

5. Don't pick a tire too wide or too large in diameter for the fenders. If the tires are too large in diameter for the arc of the fender you will have clearance issues that will force you to lift the trailer higher than you will like. If the tire is too wide it will hit the fender on every large bump, again forcing you to lift the trailer higher than you will like in order to prevent it.

Through experience, I have found that a 31" tire is the largest diameter that will cleanly fit the T3, MBT and M100 fenders, with 29-30" being better. As for width, keep the tire under your fenders. You don't need traction, and a relatively narrow radial tire will still give you plenty of flotation because the contact patch of radials gets longer as one airs down more than it gets wider.

BTW, this trailer has been the length of Baja California several times and was once regularly used to camp at Glamis and the Oceano dunes. I have used 11-15 Armstrong flotation tires, 11x15 Norseman Tru Tracs , 235/75R16 CJ-5 takeoffs, 245/75R16 CJ-7 takeoffs, 31x10.50R15 and tried 265/75R16. In the end I found that the factory Bantam wheels (4.5" wide x 16" Kelsey Hayes, same as all early CJ's) worked best, with military style 6.50x16 NDCC tires.

2005 Nissan Xterra Offroad with 1946 Bantam T3-C.jpg

Thx. I have no desire to put trailer tires on. AT tires is what I'll look for.

@Mr. Bills
The offset on the used 10" wheels is -49mm or about 2".

The distance from the edge of the wheel to the tub is about 2.5" which should be good. As far as the fenders are concerned the Axle will be flipped.

Last edited: