Magnum Swap no Oil Pressure Gauge

Notime2d8

So i'm out of ideas on this, I've searched and tried everything i can think of and need some help. I can't get the oil pressure gauge to work. I have no check engine lights just "check gauges" and "0" oil pressure. What I've done so far:

• Checked with mechanical gauge - got 70-80psi on startup
  • new oil pan, pump, pickup tube
  • 3 advance auto sensors, 1 Napa, 1 eBay - yeah i know i wasted money and i'm getting a OEM Mopar one on Friday.
  • Grounded the sensor signal wire - nothing on gauge thought it was supposed to peg out?
  • with a multi-meter i have ground on 2 wires and 5v on one - from the harness i checked resistance and got 0 ohms
  • i'm using a 1999 Dodge Dakota 5.2L ECU 56040064AD in a 2000 TJ
I'm out of ideas, and i don't even know which sensor to use. I've been trying the TJ 3 wire and Dodge 2 wire ones. Trying to avoid buying another ECU to try. Does anyone know if the oil gauge was different between the Ram and Dakota?

Thanks

Have you run an instrument cluster self test to make sure the gauge itself works? And another place to look is the two connectors that connect to the instrument cluster, a lot of folks including me have solved the oil pressure gauge issue by cleaning and/or slightly bending the pins on the connectors and reassembling them.

Have you run an instrument cluster self test to make sure the gauge itself works? And another place to look is the two connectors that connect to the instrument cluster, a lot of folks including me have solved the oil pressure gauge issue by cleaning and/or slightly bending the pins on the connectors and reassembling them.

Hey, thanks. I did run the cluster test and it went through the 3 steps from 0-40-80. And just now I pulled the cluster off and cleaned those terminals still no dice.

Since the pcm controls the gauge and everything else works but the oil, and grounding the wire doesn't make the gauge move....I think my pcm may be bad....hate to drop $150 to test it though. It runs fine....but that check gauge light and not seeing my oil pressure is bugging me.

Reactions: John Scoggins
I'm sure he had figured it out by now, but on the magnum swaps, there is only a 2 plug connector on the oil pressure sensor on the magnum engine and 3 sensor wires from the TJ harness. MANY people were confused on this, and way overthought it. The magnum oil pressure sensor only had 2 wires coming off of it - the sensor ground, and the oil pressure sensor signal. The TJ harness had those, PLUS a 5v supply wire. People thought you had to somehow tie in the 5v supply wire, when the answer to the problem was simpy just to not connect the 5v wire to anything. You wire in the oil pressure sensor ground wire to the oil pressure sensor ground wire, and the oil pressure signal wire to the oil pressure signal wire. The 5v supply wire in that case does not get used. It could be taped off. SO I am unsure if this will help you @Longhorn84 on your LS swap, but it is 100% the correct answer for the magnum swaps. :)

All my factory gauges work perfectly. :) This was also for the CCD system, not the later TJ PCI. I assume it was the same, but not 100% certain. The CCD was a MUCH simpler system.

My tj oil switch has only one wire, and I tapped into the block so the GM computer and cluster both has their own sensors, but any problem solving skills are helpful!

Reactions: Whitetrash