Mahindra Roxor news

Building technology into the car, guarantees you'll have out of date tech within a couple years.

That's my issue with a lot of the newer vehicles and the forced technology. By building these infotainment centers into the vehicles, it ensures you'll have outdated technology in a couple of years. Wait 10-15 years and it will essentially be a brick. Yet most of these new vehicles won't even run or operate without that center-dash tablet in place.

• Love
Reactions: Zorba
That's my issue with a lot of the newer vehicles and the forced technology. By building these infotainment centers into the vehicles, it ensures you'll have outdated technology in a couple of years. Wait 10-15 years and it will essentially be a brick. Yet most of these new vehicles won't even run or operate without that center-dash tablet in place.
Define forced technology?

Define forced technology?

In my mind it means that if I went out to buy a new JL, I couldn't buy one without that touch screen in the middle of the dash. So in a way they are forcing it on you and not giving you a choice between perhaps a barebones model.

On a friends Audi, when that infotainment center failed, the entire vehicle wouldn't even start. It had to be replaced before he could drive the vehicle again.

• Love
Reactions: Tob and Zorba
On a friends Audi, when that infotainment center failed, the entire vehicle wouldn't even start. It had to be replaced before he could drive the vehicle again.
Was the ECU in there or something? I can understand the infotainment center being on the CAN bus (or whatever Audi uses), but wow that's pretty bad. I'm pretty sure our Hondas don't need it to start and run, but maybe I should double check.

Yeah it's not forced. As these options become standard, you just don't get to buy anything new and are forced to fix up something old if you don't want it. Or suck it up and pay for it then spend time or money to take it out.

Eventually there are no other alternatives except custom building.

Sort of like On-Star. If you don't pay for the subscription you still bought the device and you have to physically disable it to keep it from tracking you. I have no problem with this sort of tech if it's an option.

Reactions: Zorba
In my mind it means that if I went out to buy a new JL, I couldn't buy one without that touch screen in the middle of the dash. So in a way they are forcing it on you and not giving you a choice between perhaps a barebones model.

That's exactly right, a bunch of electronic crap that is unneeded, expensive and unreliable. That's why FCA is running scared of an upstart Indian company - they're building vehicles without all that junk.

Its partially the CarCos being greedy and their "package mentality", but its also promulgated by our OverLords decreeing this crap.

Reactions: Chris
Was the ECU in there or something? I can understand the infotainment center being on the CAN bus (or whatever Audi uses), but wow that's pretty bad. I'm pretty sure our Hondas don't need it to start and run, but maybe I should double check.

Admittedly, I don't actually know.

But given how a lot of new vehicles are built around that touch screen dash unit being the centerpiece, I know that without it functioning, the vehicle in most cases will not drive. Some of them are more basic and just control the stereo, but on my Hellcat for instance, you could adjust the suspension, engine power levels, HVAC, and so many other things just from the touch screen. That of course tells me it's very tied into the system.

That's exactly right, a bunch of electronic crap that is unneeded, expensive and unreliable. That's why FCA is running scared of an upstart Indian company - they're building vehicles without all that junk.

Its partially the CarCos being greedy and their "package mentality", but its also promulgated by our OverLords decreeing this crap.

I'll admit that I've driven some of these new cars with all the tech, and it's pretty cool. If I was leasing a vehicle or trading it in every few years, then no big deal. But I still think it would be nice if one was able to buy a stripped down version of a new vehicle without all the tech.

I mean the ESS on the new JLs for instance. Obviously it was put there to meet EPA regulations (at least I assume that's why it was put there), but how friggin' annoying would that be to go out and buy a new JL, only to have it turning off-and-on at every stop light.

Pretty sure that's one of the very first things people bypass. Again, it would just be nice if you could order it without options like that. I get why you can't, I just don't like it, that's all.

Reactions: Tob and Zorba
With all the experience on this forum, I wonder...

What would it take to manufacture and sell a road-legal 4x4? How much money would it take to make one better than a Jeep?

Why don't we pool our money and do it?

What would it take to manufacture and sell a road-legal 4x4? How much money would it take to make one better than a Jeep?

Why not just petition FCA to bring back the TJ? Wishful thinking of course, but for enough money, anything is possible.

Of course that right there is the issue. Jaguar has been reproducing modern day versions of it's classic cars from the 50s and such. They use all the original molds, tooling, etc., and they look damn good (I saw this on an episode of The Grand Tour). The issue of course becomes the price.

Sure, you can get them to make a brand new version of an old classic, but it's going to cost you hundreds of thousands, if not a million.

Not enough money

I think it was all about the grille design.
https://gaadiwaadi.com/v/s/gaadiwaa...s-why/amp/?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=Now that Mahindra has changed their front fascia it sounds like FCA (and more importantly, the court) is more okay with it?

I think I need to find the court's ruling and read it for myself.

that link is dead, but the only grill I've ever seen was this one (which TBH I think looks kinda stupid).

1592321366414.png

Is that the one they have a problem with, or is it the redesigned one? If it was me I'd just put some grid on there like a molle panel and call it good.

Why not just petition FCA to bring back the TJ? Wishful thinking of course, but for enough money, anything is possible.

Of course that right there is the issue. Jaguar has been reproducing modern day versions of it's classic cars from the 50s and such. They use all the original molds, tooling, etc., and they look damn good (I saw this on an episode of The Grand Tour). The issue of course becomes the price.

Sure, you can get them to make a brand new version of an old classic, but it's going to cost you hundreds of thousands, if not a million.
A new TJ, I think would still have the info center since a BU camera is required. Cant see them using a mirror mounted one.

I'll admit that I've driven some of these new cars with all the tech, and it's pretty cool. If I was leasing a vehicle or trading it in every few years, then no big deal. But I still think it would be nice if one was able to buy a stripped down version of a new vehicle without all the tech.

I mean the ESS on the new JLs for instance. Obviously it was put there to meet EPA regulations (at least I assume that's why it was put there), but how friggin' annoying would that be to go out and buy a new JL, only to have it turning off-and-on at every stop light.

Pretty sure that's one of the very first things people bypass. Again, it would just be nice if you could order it without options like that. I get why you can't, I just don't like it, that's all.
I grew up driving basic vehicles. Only luxury cars had "power-power", thus I feel anything with power windows and all the rest - never mind the electronics - is a luxury vehicle and my money is best spent elsewhere. Being forced to buy this crap grinds my gears as well. I gave fairly serious consideration to buying a new JL "Willys Edition" in "Sarge Green", and was investigating the "do dah" that bypasses the stupid ESS - which is, BTW, very poorly designed - an entire career in electronics and battery systems taught me that you avoid paralleling batteries whenever possible and NEVER, EVER parallel batteries that are different in any way!

But back to point, I couldn't justify the expense, and that horrid touch screen is just unacceptable. The one thing I will say is that at least Jeep doesn't force many of the luxury items on people; you can buy one without most, thank Goddess. The screen and much of the other electronics are there because of our wondrous OverLords, but "keyless start" is the answer to a question nobody was asking.

That isn't being forced. No one says you have to buy a JL or any other new vehicle. Forced is the removal of older vehicles off the highway at a year determined as being obsolete and only allowing the sale and use of newer stuff as deemed appropriate.

You own a bare bones model now, quit bitching.

Can I have your CPS for awhile, you don't need it to run the vehicle, right?

Reactions: Chris
Reactions: thomat65