Texas Making CB Great Again

sdc

Do most of you that daily drive your Jeep run with your CB on or is it just used during a trail run?

I am not old-old, but I am kinda old. When I was a small town teenager in the 90's many of us (no matter what we drove) had CB's and we always had them on. We'd chat it up if someone drove by with an antenna sticking up regardless if we knew them or not. After school each day there was always a lot of interesting chatter while we were making our way out of the parking lot to head our separate ways and it was usually pretty enjoyable.

These days I have an hour commute each way in North Dallas on major highways and on days I drive my Jeep I keep my CB on, but there isn't much chatter even from the big trucks.

Any of you guys in the Dallas area keep your ears on while commuting back and forth?

Maybe we need an official North Texas CB channel to stay tuned to during our commutes for when we see each other on the road.

Any takers?

#makecbgreatagain

Reactions: Thunderhead
It was the same here in Florida in the late 80's. CB was the social networking of the time. Haven't done much of it since. Working on getting my amateur radio license instead, since most of the people who run trails have moved on to handhelds, though there are still a few CB holdouts.

CB's work great with LONG ASS antennas, on the jeep platform they kinda just suck unless your tight on a trail together. I can talk to ppl 10 miles away with the CB in our work Semi's.
We were on a trail recently and it was snowing and raining, couldn't hear squat more than 1/2 mile away

I have the cb radio on all the time. I live outside Austin and there isn't a lot of traffic, but enough to keep it on. It is very entertaining on long trips down I-35.

Reactions: mushdogs
I miss my old CB days. I have a feeling it is mostly dead air though. I probably could get mine going, but no antenna. Wonder if the old K40 is still a good one? lol Damn it has been a long time!

We used to "caravan" in MG's back in the '70/80s. We'd travel all day long, 5 or 6 cars for 500 or so miles, on the way to a weekend meet. A lot of us had CB's and they seemed to make sense at the time (there wasn't anything else). It's been a long time since I heard any one say … "bears in the air". I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same thing today.

Reactions: lowranger
I was in a cb radio shop just yesterday in San Antonio getting a 102" whip for the TJ. I asked the guy working there if cb radio was dead. He said no. They stay busy with truckers and Jeeps. Shelf was filled with broken radios waiting to be repaired.

I'm a member of a facebook group called cb radio communications. There are lots of members and new posts everyday. It is not dead yet.

I used to run one in my old ford ranger back in the late 90's and nobody was using them then.

Maybe CB will become great again when mullets come back into style.

I hope this is true because the mullet is making a comeback. I bet I see a few a week now here in the Dallas area. Someone famous must have started the trend again.

Even though it is mostly dead air, I keep it on for the occasional solid gold trucker one liner like this gem I heard sitting in traffic a few weeks ago...

"The DOT needs to pour some ex-lax on the damn road and get this shit a-movin'."

I laughed all the way home.

• Haha
Do most of you that daily drive your Jeep run with your CB on or is it just used during a trail run?

I am not old-old, but I am kinda old. When I was a small town teenager in the 90's many of us (no matter what we drove) had CB's and we always had them on. We'd chat it up if someone drove by with an antenna sticking up regardless if we knew them or not. After school each day there was always a lot of interesting chatter while we were making our way out of the parking lot to head our separate ways and it was usually pretty enjoyable.

These days I have an hour commute each way in North Dallas on major highways and on days I drive my Jeep I keep my CB on, but there isn't much chatter even from the big trucks.

Any of you guys in the Dallas area keep your ears on while commuting back and forth?

Maybe we need an official North Texas CB channel to stay tuned to during our commutes for when we see each other on the road.

Any takers?

#makecbgreatagain
the cell phone has killed the CB.... and today, no one even wants to talk... everyone texts so they can compose an answer. I've seen families out for dinner texting each other. Our culture has evolved into being terrified of spontaneous conversation.

The CB was a Lincoln option in Bandit days...
78DJ-38.JPG

Last edited:
I was driving around, I guess a guy was following me, my work truck is an advertising billboard, at a red light he knocked on my window sat=ying he was calling my phone number and why was I ignoring him.....

The number on my trailer is my home number to an old fashioned answering machine. Man I love technology. Customers say they will text me.... I say just phone. I never check for texts. I was born 50 years too late.

I haven’t checked my voice mail in 3 years . It says , to reach me , text me or call my assistant ar BR 549. My business has doubled and I can focus . I was up to 10,000 minutes a month on the phone .

You are right about texting being chosen over conversation...it is a phenomenon that both amazes and scares me. Text are great for information, but not emotion.

Reactions: Daryl and JMT
We used to "caravan" in MG's back in the '70/80s. We'd travel all day long, 5 or 6 cars for 500 or so miles, on the way to a weekend meet. A lot of us had CB's and they seemed to make sense at the time (there wasn't anything else). It's been a long time since I heard any one say … "bears in the air". I don't see any reason why you couldn't do the same thing today.
That you got 500 miles in an MG with Lucas ( short for lucifer) electronics is amazing in itself. I grew up wrenching on my moms midget and grew to despise Lucas . Her fiat wasn’t any better though :)