Manual Locking Hub Conversion with RCV Axle Shafts?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
If I'm ultimately unable to fix my vibration, I plan to do a manual hub conversion (I won't be doing this unless I exhaust all possibilities trying to fix the vibration).

However, I'm a bit confused when looking at hub conversions. It looks like Alloy and Yukon are the only ones who make them, but I'm not sure if my RCV Axle Shafts will work with them. They are 30 spline inners and 27 spline outers (Rubicon), but most of these hub conversions include new outer axle shafts, which are longer I believe.

Does this mean I'd need new RCV axles with longer outer shafts? I couldn't seem to find anything about this when searching.

I would imagine that since they include the new outter stub-shaft it's probably going to have some dimensional differences. Perhaps try giving RCV a call? Surely they've encountered something like this before.

Reactions: Chris
I would imagine that since they include the new outter stub-shaft it's probably going to have some dimensional differences. Perhaps try giving RCV a call? Surely they've encountered something like this before.

I'll likely end up doing that. I'm just hoping someone here has RCV axles and manual locking hubs so they might be able to give me first hand info.

Otherwise yes, I will just call RCV.

The Yukon manual hub kits require new outer axle shafts due dimensional changes required by the elimination of the unit bearings and changeover to tapered bearings and races. I'm certain that you will need new outer axles from RCV because you are not using conventional u-joints. I'm just as certain that RCV will have experience supplying the correct outer axle for the Yukon hub conversion and can tell you exactly what you need.

FYI - As far as which manual hub kit, I am being strongly advised to limit my consideration to only the Yukon kit that converts to the 5" x 5 1/2" lug pattern (Part # YA WU-08, $1,319.06). Apparently, based upon breakage reports, the Yukon manual hubs that utilize the Explorer design and retain the 5" x 4 1/2" factory TJ lug pattern (Part # YA WU-07, $1,235.86) are not strong enough to stand up to 35" tires.

Last edited:
CFB50719-7E59-41E6-8361-DC553EBD73E5.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Chris
If you want better hubs than warn, get the Yukon chromoly hubs 30 spline.
Warn sold their entire hub business and their designs to Yukon. Including the 30 spline big hub kit which I'm running with Warn's name on it. To the best of my knowledge Yukon just removed Warn's name and put their name on it. It's essentially the same kit despite whose name is on it. Warn also designed the 27 spline small hub kit that Yukon now sells, or at least did the last time I looked.

Those are the part numbers I was provided when I called inquiring about the rcv axles for the 5x5.5 Yukon kit. It’s my understanding the stubs are the 9.94 GM stubs.

If anyone is looking for a set of spares of the Yukon locking hubs for the 5x5.5 kit I have a brand new set in the box, + complete sets of bearings for both sides, and two sets of seals for both sides. I had these as spares when I did the conversion on my Lj and I sold the Jeep. $300.00 plus shipping.

6F2A2B00-C958-4D56-A6EA-9E2963299E84.jpeg

86186D90-6989-4A04-8E6D-EB24516E2651.jpeg