Manual Transmission Upgrade

Lj the TJ

Hello all,

I’m reaching the iconic 200k in my 02 Sahara so I believe the my transmission is starting to go as it’s starting to stick, wines, and at times engages gears prematurely. I typically look for upgrades whenever I need to replace a part so my question is what would you guys recommend on a stock height 4.0 that eventually I’ll love to take off-roading?

Hello all,

I’m reaching the iconic 200k in my 02 Sahara so I believe the my transmission is starting to go as it’s starting to stick, wines, and at times engages gears prematurely. I typically look for upgrades whenever I need to replace a part so my question is what would you guys recommend on a stock height 4.0 that eventually I’ll love to take off-roading?

Ax15 will do everything you need it to

Reactions: macleanflood
Another vote for ax-15. You can get them factory new from multiple vendors including Novak and Advance Adapters for a great price. And it will bolt right in to your tj with zero drama.

Reactions: P man
I'm still skeptical as to what is actually upgraded about the "upgraded" AX15s I've seen advertised (like the terminator). I want to believe, but I've never seen specified what they do to them. I'm stock form though they will handle anything a 4.0 can throw at them.

I'm still skeptical as to what is actually upgraded about the "upgraded" AX15s I've seen advertised (like the terminator). I want to believe, but I've never seen specified what they do to them. I'm stock form though they will handle anything a 4.0 can throw at them.

According to their websites; Novak references their AX-15 has stronger alloy gears, AllState Gear references stronger alloy 2nd, 3rd, 5th and reverse idler gears.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck

People do not understand the terminator. The “Terminator” is terminating the NV3550 and replacing it with a new AX15. There is absolutely nothing special about the AX15 other than it’s one of the new ones Aisin makes still. They made some improvements to the synchros and alloys in the gears/shafts according to what Novak told me many years ago. Can’t personally confirm it but the rumor is the latest version is capable of around 385 lb/ft vs stock being about 300. I will say my new one definitely shifts way better than my stocker ever did. I firmly believe it is an upgraded unit.

The terminator though means nothing. Somehow that marketing name got translated into some super beefy trans that just plain isn’t true. It’s the same thing you’ll get from QT, Novak, or AA: a brand new Aisin-built trans.

I have been oddly auto curious since installing an auto radiator when my OEM one burst a tank.

200.gif

If that’s the case than it will be hard to justify 2k in a clutch upgrade.

What about a more cost effective Center Force option?

We were wheeling last weekend with a guy that preferred the cheap auto part store clutches, because they actually let him slip it when wheeling. The nice clutches try to grip right away and you burn em up anyway. At least relevant for those that need that control.