Many Thanks to Mike and the BFH Garage @HoseJockey61

Grant Lasson

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My niece bought a 2000 TJ that has been nothing but work so far. Many interesting threads would be possible based on the PO's poor choices. She's committed to her TJ and off-roading though.

This holiday my brother and I tackled the rear ring and pinion on its Dana 44. I was surprised to find the pinion with so many outright broken teeth. With the step-by-step guidance of the BFH Garage videos, we were able to do a good job with a repair that is easily the most exacting I've ever tackled. Many thanks to the Mike and the BFH garage for his videos.

The only area that I would highlight is that of setting the final pinion pre-load. He kind of glosses over that process but that was easily the most difficult step for us in the process. The shimming process seemed to jump from no pre-load to too much pre-load with only a thou difference in shim stack. Credit to my brother for figuring out the right combination of shims to get it done.

I'm super happy to have gained that experience. I'll tackle my own soon to finally get past all the damage resulting from a poor professional ARB installation.

@hosejockey61

PXL_20221230_185430115.jpg

Attachments

• Lila's Pinion.mp4
    5 MB