Marlin 1895 SBL

I've got a Marlin 30-30 that's been handed down over several generations. It's either a 36 or a 336, last or first year, can't remember, I don't shoot it much due to its age. But it's a great brush or jeep gun and shoots straight.
Personally, I'd look for a pre '64 Winchester M94 ...... .30-30
Simple, sturdy, foolproof, and ammo is available anywhere.
Plus, if you decide to sell it, you'll get every penny back+ .......
And, you'll feel like John Wayne or Walt Longmire ..... :cool1:

Pedersoli 86/71. John Moses Browning design. Locks up like a bank vault closing. Smooth, strong, fine fit and finish. Very accurate and a very good trigger. Did I mention how smooth it is? Available in 444 Marlin and 45-70. If I had $2500 and six months to wait, it's the one I would of gotten.

Pedersoli 86/71. John Moses Browning design. Locks up like a bank vault closing. Smooth, strong, fine fit and finish. Very accurate and a very good trigger. Did I mention how smooth it is? Available in 444 Marlin and 45-70. If I had $2500 and six months to wait, it's the one I would of gotten.
Cabela's has em for $1300. Sounds to me like you need two 45-70 levers. You've got me pondering, and I need another gun right now like I need a whole in the head. Last one I ordered won't be here for a year yet...

Cabela's has em for $1300. Sounds to me like you need two 45-70 levers. You've got me pondering, and I need another gun right now like I need a whole in the head. Last one I ordered won't be here for a year yet...
That Pedersoli at Cabelas was the single smoothset, best fit and finish lever gun I looked at. They had a Winchester / Miroku in 38-55 on the rack right next to it that was nice, but not in the same ball park.

The Pedersoli I like, is the 19" short rifle in stainless steel. American Walnut stocks. Wonderful piece of work, and it meets all the criteria. S744-457 is the model number.

Last edited:
That Pedersoli at Cabelas was the single smoothset, best fit and finish lever gun I looked at. They had a Winchester / Moruku in 38-55 on the rack right next to it that was nice, but not in the same ball park.

The Pedersoli I like, is the 19" short rifle in stainless steel. American Walnut stocks. Wonderful piece of work, and it meets all the criteria. S744-457 is the model number.
Very purty gun. I love the stainless/walnut look, why I don't have one yet is beyond me...

Reactions: StG58
I think you're on to something there! Although if that were always the case I wouldn't have ordered a hand made Shiloh Sharps 1874 in 45-70 that I won't see for another year..
Mmmm-mmm! A Shilo! The lead time is up to a year now? I've heard that those shoot extremely well. Are you going to load that with black powder or smokeless? Paper patched? I do that with my 458 win mag. And we have to see pictures, of course, when it gets here.

Reactions: Northwood
Mmmm-mmm! A Shilo! The lead time is up to a year now? I've heard that those shoot extremely well. Are you going to load that with black powder or smokeless? Paper patched? I do that with my 458 win mag. And we have to see pictures, of course, when it gets here.
It's actually 18-19 months from date of order! Craziness, but I can't wait. Black powder of course, I feel it would be an injustice to put smokeless in a gun like that. I'm going to start with grease grooves and maybe try some paper patched down the road after I've got a load or two figured out that shoot well. You paper patch for your 458? How tedious really is it?

It's actually 18-19 months from date of order! Craziness, but I can't wait. Black powder of course, I feel it would be an injustice to put smokeless in a gun like that. I'm going to start with grease grooves and maybe try some paper patched down the road after I've got a load or two figured out that shoot well. You paper patch for your 458? How tedious really is it?
It goes pretty quick, once you get all the details worked out. And there's a lot of them to fiddle with. The results are simply outstanding though. I'm shooting soft cast at +150 - 200 fps over jacketed velocities with lower chamber pressure . And the groups shrank by half or more from the factory target. Look for a book called "The Paper Jacket" to get started. It's cool to play with.

It goes pretty quick, once you get all the details worked out. And there's a lot of them to fiddle with. The results are simply outstanding though. I'm shooting soft cast at +150 - 200 fps over jacketed velocities with lower chamber pressure . And the groups shrank by half or more from the factory target. Look for a book called "The Paper Jacket" to get started. It's cool to play with.
I'd heard of people getting some good results paper patching but that is outstanding, I'll have to look into it. I've done some reading on it, but may have to reevaluate my laziness and just bite the bullet. Would really be bringing it back to the olden days.

45-110 and 38-55 are exceptional with paper patch. And don't underestimate smokeless for the PP game. Run an alloy about 12 BHN, powders fom the slow end of jacketed data and the right paper and lube. When you figure out bullet diameter and bullet / throat seating depth everything just seems to fall in line. It's fun to shoot.

IMG_0094.JPG

I've got a Marlin and a Henry, not sure that I need a Winchester.

View attachment 30955
I've got a Marlin and a Henry, not sure that I need a Winchester.
That Marlin has seen some love! I was having a hard time getting into a Marlin lever gun. I wasn't convinced that the mechanism locked up as strongly as it could / should. Then there's the way the lever is hung off the bottom of the action. That bothered me.

Got over all that though, and I'm picking up a new 1895SBL tomorrow. The shop had three of them in stock. I looked all three over and selected the one with the best action, and reasonably good fit and finish. Loaded up 130 rounds of 45-70 the first of the week to break it in with. Pick it up Friday, spend Saturday cleaning it and mounting the scope, then take it out Sunday to see how it shoots. If it's a POS, it'll go back Monday. My expectations are that it should be just fine for a Jeep gun though. Marlin's current reputation notwithstanding.

The SBL is a keeper. I need to adjust the sights for my loads, but it does exactly what a Jeep gun is supposed to do. I don't even think that the scope is going to stay, as the ghost ring sight that comes with the rifle works fine at woods ranges.

Thanks for the input everyone!