Matt's Off-Road Recovery Charged With Fraud, Filing False AAA Claims

This accusation has been active for awhile now. I watch his and the other guys stuff fairly regular now for a bit. Love his corvair. Doesn’t seem logical to me. Isn’t he like third generation? And like one of the other guys said. He’s making a killing between YouTube and his endorsements. 15,000$ is chump change. Dudes loaded.

This accusation has been active for awhile now. I watch his and the other guys stuff fairly regular now for a bit. Love his corvair. Doesn’t seem logical to me. Isn’t he like third generation? And like one of the other guys said. He’s making a killing between YouTube and his endorsements. 15,000$ is chump change. Dudes loaded.
He plead guilty so it's more than an accusation at this point. I thought an episode said they bought the winder towing business from someone.

Not these days. Getting any kind of sanctions for Probation or Parole offenders these days is next to impossible. All part of the ‘criminal justice reform”.
Maybe but insurance companies can come down pretty hard on fraud convictions.

Reactions: CptnMurica
He plead guilty so it's more than an accusation at this point. I thought an episode said they bought the winder towing business from someone.

Maybe but insurance companies can come down pretty hard on fraud convictions.
Interesting. Thanks for the update. Didn’t know that. I watch his vids maybe 1 a week and fast forward straight to the recoveries.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Kind does not always mean dumb. The risk was probably because he knew these people where never going to get the vehicles out without that.
Let's just call what he did what it really is. He encouraged people to commit fraud then he profited from the fraud.

Let's just call what he did what it really is. He encouraged people to commit fraud then he profited from the fraud.

You're not wrong, but it's hard to feel sorry for insurance companies that are constantly trying to screw people over...seems like it's only illegal when they're the ones getting screwed, and not when they're doing the screwing.

And it wasn't like he's sitting back raking in cash doing nothing. He was compensated for services he rendered. It's the people he towed that received reimbursement for being a dumbass. As has been discussed in this thread, the money he got by doing this wasn't even enough to be that big of a deal for him.

For those that haven't been sucked into the Utah YouTube vortex Matt's channel is good, I also enjoy Fab Rats and Trail Mater (the recovery using plenty'O front dig was posted recently here). They all really post entertaining content and seem like good guys.
I would add Robby Layton to this list. Hard not to find all of them as they appear on each other’s channels often, especially with the ongoing Golden Nugget rebuild.

Interesting. Thanks for the update. Didn’t know that. I watch his vids maybe 1 a week and fast forward straight to the recoveries.
Yeah I like the channel too. I didn't know any of this was going down until I saw the update article on jalopnik. It seems like it was mostly AAA that had the issue or was the main complainant in the situation. It said he lost his AAA affiliation.

You're not wrong, but it's hard to feel sorry for insurance companies that are constantly trying to screw people over...seems like it's only illegal when they're the ones getting screwed, and not when they're doing the screwing.
My ass is still throbbing from being screwed over the Mercedes repair. InsCos and BANKS both have cost me THOUSANDS of dollars over the years, and I'm not talking premium payments!

I'm far from perfect but as an adult never being part of a fraud or theft has been exceptionally easy. Its a very low bar for being a decent human and member of society.
Agreed. Does not take much effort to refrain from theft, stealing, fraud, etc.

I just don't like being the one calling it, never fails, I stumble on that rock. I would much rather you call it what it is. LOL.

I've never been involved in theft or fraud, and I'm not saying I would have done the same thing, but what seems less wrong:

1. scam a few bucks out of a faceless megacorporation (with an annual revenue of half a billion) to get paid for doing his job
2. leave somebody stranded and helpless in the Utah wilderness because they had the misfortune of being dumb and poor at the same time.

I guess there's a third option, which would be rescue them for free, but you won't be running a business for long by running it that way.

It's a shit sandwich, but I feel less bad about AAA taking the bite than Matt or his client.

I've never been involved in theft or fraud, and I'm not saying I would have done the same thing, but what seems less wrong:

1. scam a few bucks out of a faceless megacorporation (with an annual revenue of half a billion) to get paid for doing his job
2. leave somebody stranded and helpless in the Utah wilderness because they had the misfortune of being dumb and poor at the same time.

I guess there's a third option, which would be rescue them for free, but you won't be running a business for long by running it that way.

It's a shit sandwich, but I feel less bad about AAA taking the bite than Matt or his client.

If you read through all the charges some of the cases involved non-emergency services that were then paid for with a fake AAA claim.

If it happened once in a somewhat understandable situation I could have sympathy for that. But this was straight up fraud, on numerous occasions.