Measure Once, Cut Twice: A Story of Excitement and Impatience

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the picture. This explains why the front sway bar is 3x larger than the rear!

With one Jeep running a AntiRock and another the SwayLoc, I'm hoping I don't forget this myself. Maybe I just need to replace the AR on the LJ. Crap, this stuff is getting expensive!
Doing it right with as few compromises as possible is expensive.

Reactions: Wildman
Today was dialing in day. Performed an alignment and straightened up the steering wheel. Then started dialing out the slight vibe I had. I've dialed out vibes before, but have been reworking everything suspension, wheels, and steering lately. However, I took a slightly different approach today.

@mrblaine usually says things that make sense, but I read something the other day he said in a thread regarding vibes that.made perfect sense: "...it don't matter what the angle finder say, it only matter what the vibes do." After I thought about this statement with respect to all the get the angle finder advice. How the fuck does the pinion know whether it's 1deg lower than the DS? It doesn't; it does know when it is happy and when it isn't.

So, I left the angle finder on the bench and just started adjusting up and down and let the vibes or lack thereof tell me what angle I need to be at. I was able to get it vibe free up to 75 with a very slight vibe after that through 85. Didn't go any faster than that, cause I don't need to.

Where is the pinion at with respect to the DS? I have know idea and quite frankly don't care. I have in the past used the angle finder relentlessly adjusting by .5 deg all over the fucking place. I spent way more time using the angle finder as I was so focused on 0, .5, 1, 1.5 deg, etc.

I'm not saying you can't dial in your pinion with the angle finder, I'm only saying you don't need a fucking angle finder to do so. Use your head.

Rant and update over.
Rant notwithstanding, now is the perfect time to throw the angle finder on it. Since you have it dialed in, record your angles and keep them for future use. That way the next time you have to do any control arm work, you can throw it back together and set it the way it is now, and give yourself a good starting point without repeating all the trial and error.

Great work getting it dialed in. I bet it feels great.

Last edited:
Rant notwithstanding, now is the perfect time to throw the angle finder on it. Since you have it dialed in, record your angles and keep them for further use. That way the next time you have to do any control arm work, you can throw it back together and set it the way it is now, and give yourself a good starting point without repeating all the trial and error.

Great work getting it dialed in. I bet it feels great.
Thank you. It does feel good and it validates all my hard work. I was getting a little discouraged there for a while end of last year beginning of this year after all the work I've put into it over the last year and a half. My rig's always fun to drive because, it's my Jeep; however, it makes it that much better when it rides and handles nice.

You given me new inspiration to revisit mine and keep tweaking.
Every time I face a challenge I think about what Blaine told me on the phone one time when I asked him how many times I needed to install different size shims in my upper control arm Johnny joints when I was battling death wobble: "as many times as it takes, that is what we do."

His persistence and commitment to completing a job properly is inspiring to me. Trust me, there's been a few times along my build that I thought about just throwing in the towel and saying it's good enough. I'm glad that I have not yet done so.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
Prepped my tub area for the Savvy slider install. Wire wheeled and applied self etching primer. I did find a dent in my torque box on the passenger side when doing that prep work. The PO must have come down pretty hard on the side with just those s***** ass fake rocks guards that Rubicons come with. Look at the last photo.
20210322_142315.jpg
20210322_142324.jpg
20210322_142348.jpg

Went Wheeling today at windrock Tennessee. The rig performed extremely well. I went everywhere on my 35s that JK's on 37th went, even performed better than they did.

However, developed a vibration on the way home. Pulled over to a truck stop, removed my rear shaft, and have lateral movement in my yoke. Apparently my pinion bearing is smoked. I believe this is what has been killing my pinion seals. I'm driving home in four wheel drive with the front shaft in and the rear shaft out. Still have 250 miles to go.

Wish me luck.

20210327_232834.jpg

Went Wheeling today at windrock Tennessee. The rig performed extremely well. I went everywhere on my 35s that JK's on 37th went, even performed better than they did.

However, developed a vibration on the way home. Pulled over to a truck stop, removed my rear shaft, and have lateral movement in my yoke. Apparently my pinion bearing is smoked. I believe this is what has been killing my pinion seals. I'm driving home in four wheel drive with the front shaft in and the rear shaft out. Still have 250 miles to go.

Wish me luck.

View attachment 238225
You weren’t riding with the Wheat off-road folks by chance were you? I know them and some members from the old club I rode with were down there this weekend. Windrocks an awesome area

sorry to hear about the pinion bearing. Those long drive homes after a wheeling trip are the worst.

Reactions: Wildman
You weren’t riding with the Wheat off-road folks by chance were you? I know them and some members from the old club I rode with were down there this weekend. Windrocks an awesome area

sorry to hear about the pinion bearing. Those long drive homes after a wheeling trip are the worst.
No but I saw them. I was with Muddy Buddys. Especially at 1:30 in the morning

Last edited:
Hope you made it home. I know that feeling when stuff breaks or fails on you as you're headed home. Wish you the best of luck.
Any idea why that pinion bearing failed?

Hope you made it home. I know that feeling when stuff breaks or fails on you as you're headed home. Wish you the best of luck.
Any idea why that pinion bearing failed?
Still have 1.5hrs drive left. No. If you recall, I've replaced the pinion seal twice. The original one failed after 5k miles. Might not have been set up correctly. Plus, my retorquing the pinion nut to the same place it was when removed is less than exact. A combination of both I suppose.

Still have 1.5hrs drive left. No. If you recall, I've replaced the pinion seal twice. The original one failed after 5k miles. Might not have been set up correctly. Plus, my retorquing the pinion nut to the same place it was when removed is less than exact. A combination of both I suppose.

Sounds like you need to pull it down and start over. Get the pinion set in properly with the correct amount of preload. Then set the ring gear and setup the backlash & pattern.

But THAT sucks since you shouldn't be having these issues.

Sounds like you need to pull it down and start over. Get the pinion set in properly with the correct amount of preload. Then set the ring gear and setup the backlash & pattern.

But THAT sucks since you shouldn't be having these issues.
Will be breaking it down this weekend. It was set up by G2 for what it's worth. Glad I caught it before it fucked up my pinion and ring gears.

As a consolation, my rig was an absolute beast today. All the JKs on 37's took several attempts while mine walked right up every obstacle all day long. Glad I went back to my 35's instead of half-assing those 37's I bought last week. I've got it dialed in pretty good (except the pinion lol).

So, Currie tells me there is a national shortage on Timken bearings and it would take 3 weeks for their rebuild kit. I called 4wp and they have 3 Dana 60 rebuild kits and a Currie pinion seal. So I ordered that and should be here by Wednesday. Since Currie uses same size inner and outer pinion bearing, I ordered a Timken HM803146 from Motion Industries right down the street from me and should be here tomorrow (4WP didn't have single bearings in stock).

Pulling axle out tonight and will pop the cover to check the carnage. Hopefully, gears are fine and I can just replace bearings and seals and then reset pinion preload. Wish me luck. Flipping countdown to Moab has me in edge now with a broken rig. At least it happened close and not in Moab. Gotta love shakedown runs.

Reactions: Irun