Memorial Day Weekend 2020

Daryl

2004 Rubicon
Supporting Member
Had to get out after all this Covid-19 BS. Half way into our trail ride we come across this Toyota Tundra with the left front wheel assembly torn off. 😲 Looked at it and the lower ball joint had come apart. Asked the driver how fast he was going and he said “I was going slow”. Okay, how slow, 2-3mph? No, about 20-25. 🤦‍♂️ Made the driver do all the work except the welding. The guy drove it home to Sacramento against our recommendation of parking it once he made it to the paved road and call a tow truck. Kind of pissed us off for not thinking of others if the trail repair failed. So, if you’ve ever wondered if you can weld a Toyota Tundra lower ball joint back together watch the video. Anyways, it was a beautiful day and had a great time.

• Wow
Reactions: Squatch and Chris
I'm on the trail often with a buddy that has a 1st gen Sequoia, same as the older Tundra. Those lower ball joints really seem to be a weak point. That's a cool welding setup, 24V wire feed?

Reactions: Daryl
I'm on the trail often with a buddy that has a 1st gen Sequoia, same as the older Tundra. Those lower ball joints really seem to be a weak point. That's a cool welding setup, 24V wire feed?
Yup, Ready Welder. This guy hit a tire-sized boulder at speed. Pinched the sidewall against the bead lip on the wheel. Drives claims he replaced the lower ball joints last year at 300K miles.

Reactions: pagrey
Had to get out after all this Covid-19 BS. Half way into our trail ride we come across this Toyota Tundra with the left front wheel assembly torn off. 😲 Looked at it and the lower ball joint had come apart. Asked the driver how fast he was going and he said “I was going slow”. Okay, how slow, 2-3mph? No, about 20-25. 🤦‍♂️ Made the driver do all the work except the welding. The guy drove it home to Sacramento against our recommendation of parking it once he made it to the paved road and call a tow truck. Kind of pissed us off for not thinking of others if the trail repair failed. So, if you’ve ever wondered if you can weld a Toyota Tundra lower ball joint back together watch the video. Anyways, it was a beautiful day and had a great time.
Where did you go wheeling D?