Metal Clunking Noise When Turning

Tigger09

TJ Enthusiast
It never seems to be "just upgrade/repair one thing" with a TJ. That first project always seems to expose other issues that need to be addressed.

I have a metal "clunking" noise when my wheels are turned and I hit a bump. It's occasionally there when I turn aggressively with some speed but mostly lower speed turns with bumps. Think going over speed bumps or pulling in to a drive way. Bumps while going straight while driving normally don't seem to be an issue. I've had the TJ for 15k miles & 2+ years and the issue started this summer. The shocks and 2" BB was added around last Christmas. where should I start my search, the ball joints? Below is some info, hopefully it helps.

2002 I6 Auto
Rancho 5000x
2" BB (soon to be EMU springs)
Original springs (91k on the rig)
New u-joints (issue was there before the u-joints)
New breaks (issue was there before the breaks)
Ecco rims
31" BFG M/T Tires

Sounds like the ujoints in your front axle have unfriended you. 🤔

I thought so too so I replaced them. One was on it's way out and one was very bad. One u-joint went in with no problem the other was a pain. Almost like the forks on the passenger side axle were a bit too close together to get the c-clips in easily. Eventually I got all the clips in, I'm wondering if there was a previous accident/issue I don't know about.

Ended up being a bad sway bar link. The sound was the ball slamming in and out of the socket every time the body rolled. I figured the excessive body roll was from bad (original) springs. Easy, quick & cheap fix.

It sounds like those Ujoints needed to be replaced anyway🧐. Better now than to find one letting go out on a trail or cruising the interstate at 80 mph. Glad you got it fixed!👍