Metal goop particles in my cooling system

1.5 years later and the head gasket repair was done a while ago and I had a hunch that goop still exists, so I put a magnet under the radiator cap so see what I could skim from the coolant.

IMG_4137.JPEG

🤯

Also my water pump is making a racket after only 3k miles, I think the contamination may be related to replacing water pumps frequently.

• Wow
Reactions: MountaineerTom
1.5 years later and the head gasket repair was done a while ago and I had a hunch that goop still exists, so I put a magnet under the radiator cap so see what I could skim from the coolant.

View attachment 529467

🤯

Also my water pump is making a racket after only 3k miles, I think the contamination may be related to replacing water pumps frequently.

did you drain and flush the block properly? The engine has drain plugs (between the cats, under the manifold on the driver side) , through which you can drain it completely. You would be surprised how much junk can come out of it.
If never drained the block, you will have junk in the bottom of the block, and it can mess things up

Not sure about the metal, but I would suspect someone poured a lot of stop leak.

A lot of people, without experience, always try the cheap fix, like using stop leak in the engine or cooling system. I learned a long time ago that the cheap fixes only lead to bigger problems in the long run.

Reactions: tr21triton
did you drain and flush the block properly? The engine has drain plugs (between the cats, under the manifold on the driver side) , through which you can drain it completely. You would be surprised how much junk can come out of it.
If never drained the block, you will have junk in the bottom of the block, and it can mess things up

I did plenty of flushing, including using the engine block drain, replacing most of the cooling system in the process.

View attachment 529467

🤯

I had a similar problem in an old GTA Mustang. I got a pre cooling system filter at a performance shop and put it in. Within a week, it was full of metal crude. I cleaned it and reinstalled it, and two months later, it was full again. The filter has clear walls. By the third cleaning of the filter, my cooling system was clean, and I stopped losing radiators. This filter stopped crude from the iron engine going into my radiator and heater core. It is about a $50 investment compared to $300 dollars plus installation cost for a new radiator or heater core. When the filter fills up, it is easy to see.

Last edited: