Metal scraping sound when starting

Blake Stamper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey y’all, I’ve been fighting a starting issue recently, it’s been intermittent where sometimes it fires up like nothing is wrong, sometimes it makes a loud metal scraping noise when starting and fires up and other times I got absolutely nothing, I turn the key and no crank, the radio turns off and after a while of trying to get it to start when it’s not cranking it will randomly start and make the metal scraping noise, I replaced the starter thinking that would solve it and I had no luck

Same here, can’t figure it out. It’s only intermittent too. Haven’t replaced the starter yet but thinking about it. Anybody have thoughts?

Hey y’all, I’ve been fighting a starting issue recently, it’s been intermittent where sometimes it fires up like nothing is wrong, sometimes it makes a loud metal scraping noise when starting and fires up and other times I got absolutely nothing, I turn the key and no crank, the radio turns off and after a while of trying to get it to start when it’s not cranking it will randomly start and make the metal scraping noise, I replaced the starter thinking that would solve it and I had no luck

So was it the starter