Metalcloak 6-Pak shocks: A viable alternative to outboarding?

Alex01

Ready to hit the Rocks
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Let me start by saying I do not intend to change out my shocks I just want to gain some knowledge.

Would something like the 6pak shocks by MC be a viable alternative to something as extreme as outboarding? They would provide 2 inches of both upwards and downwards travel over conventional stocks.

For example rancho rs5000x (RS55255)
Compressed height: 15.69
Extended Length: 26.42
Travel Length: 10.73

6Pack
Compressed height: 13.25
Extended Length: 28.25
Travel Length: 15

While not cheap around $1,600 for a set it is still considerably cheaper then outboarding.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Man oh man... I had a good conversation with Dave at Jeep West about the 6-pak shocks and he had nothing good to say about them whatsoever. I wish for the life of me I could remember what he was telling me.

@pcoplin of anyone would probably have some good input on this, since he knows his suspension inside and out.

@mrblaine had made a comment in another thread (which made a lot of sense to me as well) when I asked him about the Tereflex Falcon shocks. He had said something along the lines of he can't comment on them as he hasn't wasted any of his time trying to set them up. He has tons of experience with the Fox shocks and setting them up, so why bother trying to figure out the Falcon shocks when we already have a shock that is very widely used, very widely supported, and works well.

That's not word for word, but it's what I remember.

$1600 for a set seems steep. I got my Fox shocks from @pcoplin setup and everything for around $1140. Add in the cost of the Poly Performance towers which can be had for about $360 for a set of 4, and you're close to $1600.

That doesn't include the labor I realize, but at that point I would spend the extra money on the labor and have an outboard conversion done.

I have looked at them. Never seen anyone use them. I would like to see real knowledge from someone that has or had them installed.

In theory they would only be good for extended travel. ( at least that is my thinking )

But how comfortable are they driving?

Reactions: Alex01
They look like they are so big that they would cause clearance issues of some sort. Maybe I'm wrong, but they look like the body is big as hell.

Reactions: tworley
Is Metalcloak a good alternative to anything? :shakehead:
From looking at Chris's experience finding someone who can properly outboard shocks a product that gives gains while staying in the stock location seems like a good compromise to cutting into the frame.

@Jerry you run a ton of trails far more advanced then the typical member on non-outboarded shocks. At what point would you say outboarding is worth it? From a offroad point of view. (assuming you run / see people using them on the same trails)

They look like they are so big that they would cause clearance issues of some sort. Maybe I'm wrong, but they look like the body is big as hell.

I agree they are not the prettiest looking shocks.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
I agree they are not the prettiest looking shocks.

After looking at them installed i agree

I think clearance wise they would be ok. But yeah big and ugly.

2014-02-28 12.21.30.jpg

From looking at Chris's experience finding someone who can properly outboard shocks a product that gives gains while staying in the stock location seems like a good compromise to cutting into the frame.

You're in the prime spot! You've got Blaine, GenRight (not sure if they do installs?), Poly Performance, and probably a host of others who could do it correctly! Up here in Oregon all I've got is Dave and @pcoplin.

There may be some others that I don't know of I'm sure.

For the amount of money those shocks cost, I would want to do it right the first time.

You're in the prime spot! You've got Blaine, GenRight (not sure if they do installs?), Poly Performance, and probably a host of others who could do it correctly! Up here in Oregon all I've got is Dave and @pcoplin.

There may be some others that I don't know of I'm sure.

For the amount of money those shocks cost, I would want to do it right the first time.
I'm not looking to do anything myself as mentioned earlier and if I was going to dump that much money I honestly would go for the outboard. I just saw them on MC's site and got curious. I couldn't find any thing online so I figured I would gain some knowledge here.

I'm not looking to do anything myself as mentioned earlier and if I was going to dump that much money I honestly would go for the outboard. I just saw them on MC's site and got curious. I couldn't find any thing online so I figured I would gain some knowledge here.

Trust me, I'd like to know more as well. I've never seen a single person running those 6-pak shocks... ever.

I don't know how they work, I don't know what the supposed "advantage" is, etc.

Even though I'd never run them, I would still like to hear real world opinions from people who have more experience with this sort of thing.

Putting them in the stock location still leaves you with a geometry that is not beneficial to a TJ. I have a friend who has them on his JK. They constantly need charged, are stupid expensive, and just don't see the advantage.

Reactions: Chris
I have looked at them. Never seen anyone use them. I would like to see real knowledge from someone that has or had them installed. . . .

I encountered a guy at a gas station in Mendocino County last July who was running them on his JKU. He said that he loved how they performed, but if he gave the reasons why I can't remember the specifics.

What I do remember most about the conversation was how thrilled he was about the Metalcloak products on his jeep. He was just as thrilled with what he had as the Savvy aficionados seem to be thrilled with what they have. He did not appear to be under the influence of drugs or to have consumed kool-aid either.

Still, I don't think 6pak shocks are for me.

Are these shocks supposed to be bolt-in replacements for stock, or do they require cutting and welding?

I can't even imagine what kind of tomfoolery has to take place to get them to fit in the rear. It's tight back their even with a standard shock, especially if you have to rotate the pinion up.

I can't even imagine what kind of tomfoolery has to take place to get them to fit in the rear. It's tight back their even with a standard shock, especially if you have to rotate the pinion up.

That was my thought... with as large as those shocks are in the stock rear location it seems like you’d be ramming into the fuel tank as well as the rear track bar?

Reactions: bobthetj03