Mickey Thompson Tire Comparison

Bud125

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Looking for input on a comparison of Mickey Thompson BaJa Legend MTZ and Baja Boss MT.
Any input appreciated!

Reactions: Eleanor
Looking for input on a comparison of Mickey Thompson BaJa Legend MTZ and Baja Boss MT.
Any input appreciated!

I switched from Mickey Deegan 38 tires to BFG KM3 this last go due to price and sorta regret it. The MT are taller and wider despite the same sizing. They also look much more aggressive than the KM3

Reactions: Irun and Bud125
I switched from Mickey Deegan 38 tires to BFG KM3 this last go due to price and sorta regret it. The MT are taller and wider despite the same sizing. They also look much more aggressive than the KM3

I have the PRO XS. Never ran MTZ or Boss but I know guys who have both. They seem to do pretty well.

Reactions: Wildman and Bud125
Went with the Boss and glad I did after I see them. 5% military discount and $100 rebate, works for me.
Get them mounted next Wednesday, whoohoo!

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

I've run a couple of generations of Mickey Thompson MTZs and was always impressed. A little heavier than the competition, but a tough tire.

Reactions: Bud125
My bosses have a few thousand miles on them, been to Moab twice and ran the Rubicon. Been very satisfied with them.

But, I wanted to rotate the spare on and i’m surprised at how much they’ve worn down, way shorter than the spare.

EE5490D7-5196-4071-99CF-4EFC0D916E40.jpeg

Last edited:
My bosses have a few thousand miles on them, been to Moab twice and ran the Rubicon. Been very satisfied with them.

But, I wanted to rotate the spare an and am surprised at how much they’ve worn down, way shorter than the spare.

View attachment 418560

That's horrible. They wore a good 5" there. :unsure:

I ran the MTZ's for a while. My biggest complaint with MT/Cooper tires is trying to get a set that will balance out without taking a ton of weight.

Mine took a lot less than I thought they would. This is about all I have on mine. It must be my perfectly balanced 10" wide steel wheels. ;)
Tire balance weights.jpg

Mine took a lot less than I thought they would. This is about all I have on mine. It must be my perfectly balanced 10" wide steel wheels. ;)
View attachment 418564

My wheels balance out almost perfect. If I remember correctly the wheels alone wanted between .50 and 1.5 ounces each. It was all tires on mine.

No, I avoid snow more than mud because snow here comes with salt.

I’d love to be able to one day but as a daily i just have to do a lot of cleaning and painting every spring. I avoid both as much as I can but I’m idaho the winters are long. Looking into going to 35s one day and have looked at these and hopefully they won’t be doing snow by then.