Midland Ghost antenna

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Midland "Ghost" antenna showing a dead short on an ohmmeter, and its NOT the coax before anyone asks.

I don't know if there's active components inside this thing and this is normal for this antenna or not...

Could someone who has one unscrew it from its NMO connector and check?

I can check, just not sure exactly what you want done. I assume you are looking for continuity so when connected the ohmmeter would be “0”? Not an expert at this stuff, but I have a meter and the same ghost antenna. If so what two parts did you put the probes on at the antenna? It will be a little bit before I can get to it.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I can check, just not sure exactly what you want done. I assume you are looking for continuity so when connected the ohmmeter would be “0”? Not an expert at this stuff, but I have a meter and the same ghost antenna. If so what two parts did you put the probes on at the antenna? It will be a little bit before I can get to it.

Just the spring loaded pin in the center to the threads that screw onto the NMO connector...

Thanx!

Probably is a balun or something inside the thing that would cause a DC short - normal antennae read open, but this thing is a different critter.

So here is what I tested, I hope this is what you are looking for. The leads are touched at the center and where the antenna screws onto the base.

IMG_5474.jpeg

Reactions: Zorba
That is EXACTLY right, and shows that all's normal.

THANK YOU *VERY* MUCH!! I can install the thing without worry. Didn't particularly want to blow my radio up if this were a problem.

Just glad I could help. Not my expertise but I try and mess around to troubleshoot and get better at it. I guess mechanics is my expertise, I just jump and try to fix and work on what I can. Just a shade-tree mechanic 😂.

Reactions: Zorba