Midnight LJR's Affair

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So there’s another Jeep in my life. It was just picked up about an hour from my parents house yesterday.

I blame most of this on @Irun I saw his Jeep for sale and it kept nagging at me. “Ya know that would be great for my parents” I kept thinking. We have been looking for another vehicle to keep at their second house near us in Utah. They want something they can drive around when they fly in, and something they can hit some trails with us and explore with. Also the wife and I have been wanting another Jeep so we can have two vehicles to go out with when nobody else wants to. We tried to find a way to buy @Irun jeep but the shipping was just way too expensive for that to make since.

So I did the dangerous thing and text @Alex01 and me and him started searching for a Jeep, he found what seemed to be a nice 2006 LJR Automatic in Black near my parents house in California.

It was the ladies first car she has had it for 17 years. It has never been in 4WD or in the snow. What is crazy is the factory soft top is still in the back and has been back there the WHOLE TIME! She has never even removed the hard top and been stacking her groceries around the soft top all these years. Garage kept about 16 years of life and never been on a dirt road.

She had it listed for $22,500 + $1000 for the soft top. They were able to get it with the soft top for $20,000.

It’s an automatic with 142,000 miles and has a hard 1-2 shift before it’s warmed up and a few cosmetic problems. Little
Rust on one of the door handles, cracked fog lights and footman loop, dad said couple of cracks in the door panels as well from sun damage.

Overall we are happy with the price we got it for in the current market. The lady has done some regular maintenance like oil changes etc. But we are a bit concerned about everything else. She kept it very clean, and always got oil changes done etc “and whatever else” the dealer told her but didn’t know much about it. So it could have been really well maintained or maybe the diff and transfer case fluid is all original. We don’t really know, very sweet lady but not very mechanically inclined. I will say it’s probably better than the other kind of owner that thinks they are an expert. She said she had the transmission service about 10k miles ago and the guy stripped one of the skid plate bolts. I am sure he was an impact gun monkey.

My dad drove it home 80mph on the freeway said it drove great, straight no shimmy etc.

It pretty much feels like an old barn find you hear about with all the pros and cons of that.

Photos below, still has all the factory manuals etc. my mom is not the best photographer around so many are a little crooked lol.

FF47BE14-9F10-4CFD-ACC8-A3351B9F7A37.jpeg
0816339C-0236-4E26-83D4-4F8D56CB3D27.jpeg
8C90AA9F-50BC-4A20-A583-4D260D8D6C37.jpeg
35AFD74A-FE30-4C26-BBEB-7C916AAE9BE3.jpeg
1E90AB72-EF10-4707-B24D-E5726D8A5631.jpeg
59A2636A-628D-46F0-9E56-387B02EE09BC.jpeg
61E21E91-1591-45B8-ADF0-5942E6F4A4FB.jpeg
E34410DF-70DB-4B7F-A701-622947B61290.jpeg
BCE12838-451C-4DB0-AF8E-B9284562BEA4.jpeg
6B529A71-AA3B-433A-8761-A78DCA41A999.jpeg
FF1C851C-4004-4F7F-BCB0-2A6606B03DFA.jpeg
A22925D2-1169-4FE2-829C-AF28D88C85E9.jpeg
5D8E0784-4D2A-4CF4-8976-26039F6C35D6.jpeg
9B6D56D0-C949-41EF-96C8-82EB8F88D94D.jpeg
9C3EEC96-EA1D-4B26-9F93-9CB5693897CC.jpeg
80CC1FC5-5983-4A89-8C34-716FB96A8D28.jpeg
4F02B689-5188-4145-884E-89A29D659F8A.jpeg
48F7917A-E12A-4495-8156-E898B12D9B29.jpeg
90E827C5-86EC-4BB4-9370-805647685DFE.jpeg

So what’s the plan?
Currently it sits at my parents house in Ca. From there it is going to go to @Alex01 house. Where I will be shipping the parts to. Once there is a huge pile in his garage I am gonna fly in and we will get the lift etc installed and a bunch of maintenance done then I will drive it home from there.

Build Plan:
A few things are important on this it will have a few compromises vs mine but still needs to be very capable. It needs to be quite a bit lower my parents are older and have a hard time getting in mine, and I want it to enjoyable for them to run around in. The other is I want to keep NVH down for them.

Tentative plan as of now is 33x10.50’s build. My dad loves skinny tires “he don’t want none of those big wide ones the kids all have”.

Seems we have two ways we could go about that while keeping it lower.

Option 1: 1” body life and 2” springs

Option 2: skip the body lift and go with a 3” spring.

Currently planning option 2 using the Savvy 3” springs. Mostly because it seems like 2” lift route is much more challenging in regards to shock selection. We will get the belly and tank up as high as we can without the body lift while keeping a stock transmission mount to keep NVH lower.

That’s about the extent of “the plan”
For now. Other than treating it as if no maintenance has been done and replacing and/or checking everything we can think of.

Just don’t tell my Jeep I am thinking of another.

Last edited:
Wow, that's awesome! Don't know what else can be said. Looking forward to seeing what you do.
Hope my kids turn out like you did. 😂🍻

So there’s another Jeep in my life. It was just picked up about an hour from my parents house yesterday.

I blame most of this on @Irun I saw his Jeep for sale and it kept nagging at me. “Ya know that would be great for my parents” I kept thinking. We have been looking for another vehicle to keep at their second house near us in Utah. They want something they can drive around when they fly in, and something they can hit some trails with us and explore with. Also the wife and I have been wanting another Jeep so we can have two vehicles to go out with when nobody else wants to. We tried to find a way to buy @Irun jeep but the shipping was just way too expensive for that to make since.

So I did the dangerous thing and text @Alex01 and me and him started searching for a Jeep, he found what seemed to be a nice 2006 LJR Automatic in Black near my parents house in California.

It was the ladies first car she has had it for 17 years. It has never been in 4WD or in the snow. What is crazy is the factory soft top is still in the back and has been back there the WHOLE TIME! She has never even removed the hard top and been stacking her groceries around the soft top all these years. Garage kept about 16 years of life and never been on a dirt road.

She had it listed for $22,500 + $1000 for the soft top. We were able to get it with the soft top for $20,000.

It’s an automatic with 142,000 miles and has a hard 1-2 shift before it’s warmed up and a few cosmetic problems. Little
Rust on one of the door handles, cracked fog lights and footman loop, dad said couple of cracks in the door panels as well from sun damage.

Overall we are happy with the price we got it for in the current market. The lady has done some regular maintenance like oil changes etc. But we are a bit concerned about everything else. She kept it very clean, and always got oil changes done etc “and whatever else” the dealer told her but didn’t know much about it. So it could have been really well maintained or maybe the diff and transfer case fluid is all original. We don’t really know, very sweet lady but not very mechanically inclined. I will say it’s probably better than the other kind of owner that thinks they are an expert. She said she had the transmission service about 10k miles ago and the guy stripped one of the skid plate bolts. I am sure he was an impact gun monkey.

My dad drove it home 80mph on the freeway said it drove great, straight no shimmy etc.

It pretty much feels like an old barn find you hear about with all the pros and cons of that.

Photos below, still has all the factory manuals etc. my mom is not the best photographer around so many are a little crooked lol.

View attachment 325278View attachment 325279View attachment 325280View attachment 325281View attachment 325282View attachment 325283View attachment 325284View attachment 325285View attachment 325286View attachment 325287View attachment 325288View attachment 325289View attachment 325290View attachment 325291View attachment 325292View attachment 325293View attachment 325294View attachment 325295View attachment 325296

So what’s the plan?
Currently it sits at my parents house in Ca. From there it is going to go to @Alex01 house. Where I will be shipping the parts to. Once there is a huge pile in his garage I am gonna fly in and we will get the lift etc installed and a bunch of maintenance done then I will drive it home from there.

Build Plan:
A few things are important on this it will have a few compromises vs mine but still needs to be very capable. It needs to be quite a bit lower my parents are older and have a hard time getting in mine, and I want it to enjoyable for them to run around in. The other is I want to keep NVH down for them.

Tentative plan as of now is 33x10.50’s build. My dad loves skinny tires “he don’t want none of those big wide ones the kids all have”.

Currently planning option 2 using the Savvy 3” springs. Mostly because it seems like 2” lift route is much more challenging in regards to shock selection. We will get the belly and tank up as high as we can without the body lift while keeping a stock transmission mount to keep NVH lower.

For now. Other than treating it as if no maintenance has been done and replacing and/or checking everything we can think of.

Stop lying you're pulling off the flares and sending the rest to the crusher.

Wow, that's awesome! Don't know what else can be said. Looking forward to seeing what you do.
Hope my kids turn out like you did. 😂🍻

Easy now, this is my parents. We will just be building for them and borrowing it from time to time.

Last edited:

She had it listed for $22,500 + $1000 for the soft top. They were able to get it with the soft top for $20,000.

View attachment 325278View attachment 325279View attachment 325280View attachment 325281View attachment 325282View attachment 325283View attachment 325284View attachment 325285View attachment 325286View attachment 325287View attachment 325288View attachment 325289View attachment 325290View attachment 325291View attachment 325292View attachment 325293View attachment 325294View attachment 325295View attachment 325296

So what’s the plan?

Build Plan:

Nice Score!

I'd go 1" Body lift and 2" springs. I think the shock selection is better for 2" of spring lift than for 3". Plus...you want it to be capable, and the biggest bang for the buck on that LJ is going to be getting that transfer case up and out of the way. With an auto NVH shouldn't be that bad, even with a full tuck. @Irun would be able to answer that a bit better.

Awesome find Mike. That was much faster than I expected! In terms of the build, I'd definitely go with the 3" springs. This will allow you a better shock choice and should put you in the 9" rear shock travel and 10" front travel area.

I like your idea of getting the belly up a little higher, without introducing NVH. Something like the UCF "no body lift" skid is a good option here. I've run two of their skids and had zero problems with them. The only thing I would have done differently there would have been to go with the 3/8" aluminum. Reason being, unlike the Savvy skid, the cross member support is built into the skid. The plus side of this route is you maintain the stock transmission mount, which means no vibrations at idle or at speed. This would also be the time to install a cable shifter for the 241.

With the LJ, the above combination will mean you can keep costs down by running the stock control arms. Given the mileage, I'd consider replacing them. A stock replacement set is a little north of $200. You should be able to keep the stock drive shafts as well. I'd get the springs in, then see where you are with them. If it drives vibe free, a simple rebuild of both the front and rear shafts will suffice.

The last big thing will be your tire wheel choice. Unfortunately, every tire I've seen in the 33x10.50 area (285/75R16) are "E" rated. You already know 16" tires choices suck, and 15" choices are getting slimmer. I'm a fan of 17" wheels and tires, once you get to a 33" or larger tire. I have a set of Falken WildPeak A/T3Ws on my Shale Green LJ and really like them. If I were building something for my folks, I'd go with a WildPeak 285/70R17 . They come in at just under 33", have a tread width of 9.6", and are "C" rated.

Specs for Selected Tire​

SIZE
UTQG
TIRE WEIGHT​
LT285/70R17
116/113Q C
None​
2,755 lbs​
50 psi​
18/32"​
63 lbs​
7.5-9"​
8.5"​
11.1"​
9.6"​
32.8"​
634​
TH

All the rambling aside, I'm looking forward to see where you go with this one! (y)

Nice Score!

With an auto NVH shouldn't be that bad, even with a full tuck. @Irun would be able to answer that a bit better.
I don't know if I've done something wrong. I've done two Savvy tucks with the 42RLE and both were vibe free at speeds. However, both had significant vibes at idle. I'm attributing this to the fact that you have to eliminate the stock transmission mount. The replacement for the Savvy skid has substantially less rubber to isolate the vibration. To be honest, the vibration at idle is annoying, but I'm willing to accept it for the benefits gained. Sadly my folks are no longer with me, but if I were putting them in an LJ, it would be using a TT that maintains the stock trans mount. They wouldn't wheel it hard enough to need the difference.

Awesome find Mike. That was much faster than I expected! In terms of the build, I'd definitely go with the 3" springs. This will allow you a better shock choice and should put you in the 9" rear shock travel and 10" front travel area.

I like your idea of getting the belly up a little higher, without introducing NVH. Something like the UCF "no body lift" skid is a good option here. I've run two of their skids and had zero problems with them. The only thing I would have done differently there would have been to go with the 3/8" aluminum. Reason being, unlike the Savvy skid, the cross member support is built into the skid. The plus side of this route is you maintain the stock transmission mount, which means no vibrations at idle or at speed. This would also be the time to install a cable shifter for the 241.

With the LJ, the above combination will mean you can keep costs down by running the stock control arms. Given the mileage, I'd consider replacing them. A stock replacement set is a little north of $200. You should be able to keep the stock drive shafts as well. I'd get the springs in, then see where you are with them. If it drives vibe free, a simple rebuild of both the front and rear shafts will suffice.

The last big thing will be your tire wheel choice. Unfortunately, every tire I've seen in the 33x10.50 area (285/75R16) are "E" rated. You already know 16" tires choices suck, and 15" choices are getting slimmer. I'm a fan of 17" wheels and tires, once you get to a 33" or larger tire. I have a set of Falken WildPeak A/T3Ws on my Shale Green LJ and really like them. If I were building something for my folks, I'd go with a WildPeak 285/70R17 . They come in at just under 33", have a tread width of 9.6", and are "C" rated.

Specs for Selected Tire​

SIZE
UTQG
TIRE WEIGHT​
LT285/70R17
116/113Q C
None​
2,755 lbs​
50 psi​
18/32"​
63 lbs​
7.5-9"​
8.5"​
11.1"​
9.6"​
32.8"​
634​
TH

All the rambling aside, I'm looking forward to see where you go with this one! (y)

Thanks! I didn’t know about this tire size I will look into it.

Reactions: Wildman
I don't know if I've done something wrong. I've done two Savvy tucks with the 42RLE and both were vibe free at speeds. However, both had significant vibes at idle. I'm attributing this to the fact that you have to eliminate the stock transmission mount. The replacement for the Savvy skid has substantially less rubber to isolate the vibration. To be honest, the vibration at idle is annoying, but I'm willing to accept it for the benefits gained. Sadly my folks are no longer with me, but if I were putting them in an LJ, it would be using a TT that maintains the stock trans mount. They wouldn't wheel it hard enough to need the difference.

Same thought path for me. The vibration at idle is fine for me is fine. But would bother my mom for sure.

Reactions: Irun
@Irun with tires that skinny I wonder what offset I would be looking for in wheels. I will be putting a swayloc on it so need to account for that. I am thinking something in the 4.5-5” range might work being that skinny. While keeping the tires under the Jeep.

Reactions: Irun
@Irun with tires that skinny I wonder what offset I would be looking for in wheels. I will be putting a swayloc on it so need to account for that. I am thinking something in the 4.5-5” range might work being that skinny. While keeping the tires under the Jeep.
You're keeping the stock hub bearings correct?

Yeah, I’ll skip the hub conversion unless it ends up being required.
I was thinking it's not going to be needed for their use. That said, the 4.5" BS will be your number, provided you stick with the narrow tire build. There are many 17" rim options at 4.5" BS. I haven't seen hardly any, in a 17" size, above that. (y)

4.5" BS will get you where you want. With the Swayloc, you shouldn't have any rub issues vs. the stock sway bar. Add one washer on each of the stops to keep the tires out of the lower control arms. I like the 17" wheel idea. UCF for the skid, or the Barnes one I have are both good options. The Barnes skid is 1/4" steel, so it's a pig.
Congrats on the find. I pulled my hair out trying to find my Unicorn Rubi and gave up. That LJR will look sweet on 33" pizza cutters!

4.5" BS will get you where you want. With the Swayloc, you shouldn't have any rub issues vs. the stock sway bar. Add one washer on each of the stops to keep the tires out of the lower control arms. I like the 17" wheel idea. UCF for the skid, or the Barnes one I have are both good options. The Barnes skid is 1/4" steel, so it's a pig.
Congrats on the find. I pulled my hair out trying to find my Unicorn Rubi and gave up. That LJR will look sweet on 33" pizza cutters!

Yeah it’s gonna be a fun build. We are planning to over build it quite a bit because my parents are thinking they want to do Moab next year and hit some of the trails in Moab too.

So planning upgraded steering, axle shafts, etc.

Last edited:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mamba-o...p-wangler-yj-tj-cherokee-xj-grand-cherokee-zj
These with a BFG 33x10.50 with Blaine's 15” BBK and a tie rod flip would work to.

Then if it ever gets where they stop making that tire size in a 15 we could switch to a 17 and move up to the bigger rotor turning the 15” BBK into a 16”.

17’s are cool too just don’t want black wheels on a black Jeep and so many of the wheel options are black.

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03