Might trade the 03 for an 05 Unlimited

S.McArthur

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Forst things first, I like my 03, but this 05 looks to be a good "upgrade". I wish I had bought an unlimited due to having a child, plus the extra storage room will keep me from having to remove the seat when I go wheeling.
What says the wise and mighty TJ experts. I think the price is a little steep, but finding an "LJ" in this condition seems to be rare. Plus it has the Dana 44 rear axle.
-—-Removed Link, Jeep Sold-—-

Last edited:
Reactions: Starrs
Can’t see the frame, but it looks clean, and the price is right (assuming it’s a clean frame)!

Reactions: Starrs
I wouldn't trade my '04 for an '05 or '06 even if it was a straight no-cost trade. '05-06 4.0L engines have a different OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) design that was later found to be prone to failure due to the design not allowing oil to get everywhere it needs to. That can result in failures up to & including the gear on the camshaft. Not all '05-06 4.0L engines develop the problem but there's enough that Dorman & Crown came out with kits to help with the issue but not even they are 100% fixes that completely fix the issue without the possibility of it returning.

Plus the 05-06 automatic transmission has programming issues in its computer that commonly cause various problems.

Not everyone experiences those two problems but enough do that I sure wouldn't go for an 05-06 myself.

Reactions: DA RUNT
Make sure its been geared for those tires...also, ALL LJ's have a Dana 44 rear end. Looks pretty good. Don't buy it without a thorough inspection of the frame

Verify the OPDA has been changed out, or have it pulled and inspected. Also you could check and see it was regeared. Pics look good, but definitely get underneath it and look for rust.

I'm one of those guys Jerry mentioned - I have an '06 LJ and have had no problems with it. No OPDA issues - yet (I pulled and inspected it when I bought the vehicle, no unusual wear, but it still bears watching) and my 6-speed manual transmission continues to not suck (can't help you with the auto tranny issues, no experience there). I have been very happy with it, and I think that if you ran a statistical analysis you would likely find that the number of people who have had problems is much lower than those who have not. That being said, there is no substitute for due diligence. Have a good look at the vehicle's maintenance history, if available, and definitely have the OPDA and transmission checked and make sure of the gearing. Hope it works out for you, LJ's are awesome!

Reactions: Starrs and derekmac
If it isn't rusted it looks like a nice LJ. I have an 05 and 06 LJ. The OPDA failed in the 05 at 118k. I replaced the 06 OPDA at 120k just to avoid failure. The original was still in good shape and is sitting in my spare parts collection. I did have to have the PCM in the 06 replaced as the auto developed issues with the 1st to 2nd shift. It cost $1100 from Chrysler but resolved the issue. I have heard rumors that price has gone up significantly and that they are not even filling orders for them right now. It might be worth checking into. I prefer the manual but the auto is nice off road. Despite these issues I don't think I would go back to a TJ. The LJ's extra room and longer wheelbase are just to nice.

Thanks for the tips, I am going to try and get out there this evening and give it a look. I have a feeling I am not going to like the trade numbers they give me for my 03, to me, it's worth a lot, to a business, not so much. Honestly, if it is not regeared or have anything worth the trade, it's pointless to give up what I've put into my 03 and start over. We shall see what kind of numbers they give me when I show up in person.
I am all for manual transmissions, but the wife does not know how to drive one, maybe it's time to teach her.