Minor evap leak

Dcook65

TJ Enthusiast
Check engine light came on showing minor evap leak. Replaced gas cap and cleared code. A while later light came back on. Where should I go next? Visually check hoses? Smoke test? How long after clearing a code will the computer reset so I can try to pass emission test?

You can test for the ready status, turn the key on and wait. If the ready monitors aren't good the check engine light will flash after awhile, like 30 seconds or something. Sounds like you've got the steps you need to track down the problem covered.

(by the way, one sucessful cold start will reset the evap monitor, if you never do a cold start with the tank about 20-80% full it will never clear)

How long after clearing a code will the computer reset so I can try to pass emission test?

The EVAP test cycle is fairly long, usually it's the last thing to clear after a reset. Don't know about GA, but here on PA we can pass with one code not cleared, as long as the CEL is off. So the trick is to clear codes, drive it 30ish miles, and get it to the inspection station before the EVAP test finishes, lol.

To complete the EVAP test cycle you need 50+ miles, several cold starts, several hot starts, and at least a little bit of time cruising at 50+ mph. More or less, I don't remember the exact requirements, that's the general idea though.

I would get it smoke tested next.

The EVAP test cycle is fairly long, usually it's the last thing to clear after a reset. Don't know about GA, but here on PA we can pass with one code not cleared, as long as the CEL is off. So the trick is to clear codes, drive it 30ish miles, and get it to the inspection station before the EVAP test finishes, lol.

To complete the EVAP test cycle you need 50+ miles, several cold starts, several hot starts, and at least a little bit of time cruising at 50+ mph. More or less, I don't remember the exact requirements, that's the general idea though.
The evap test will reset after a single sucessful cold start. The driving tests are different. Reseting the computer will undo all the status monitors and start you over, not something you should do if you want to pass. There is a very detailed list of all the tests and what you need to do to pass them here, don't guess it's a waste of time:

http://www.obd2.com/support/reprog/downloads/chrysler/chry-imset_procedure.pdf

You can test for the ready status, turn the key on and wait. If the ready monitors aren't good the check engine light will flash after awhile, like 30 seconds or something. Sounds like you've got the steps you need to track down the problem covered.

(by the way, one sucessful cold start will reset the evap monitor, if you never do a cold start with the tank about 20-80% full it will never clear)
What do you mean by “cold start”

Forgot the photos!
61124185-7CEF-49E8-BCAB-B13F423C9099.jpeg
447A83C4-13CC-453B-8DE4-966E87E880BF.jpeg

The evap test will reset after a single sucessful cold start. The driving tests are different. Reseting the computer will undo all the status monitors and start you over, not something you should do if you want to pass. There is a very detailed list of all the tests and what you need to do to pass them here, don't guess it's a waste of time:

http://www.obd2.com/support/reprog/downloads/chrysler/chry-imset_procedure.pdf

Reset codes, drive a few days, then get it inspected is how I pass emissions in PA. On my 4Runner the next day the CEL comes back on. Been doing that for 4 years now.

It works in PA because you can pass with one of the readiness codes still pending, and EVAP is the last thing to finish after a full reset.

Reactions: pagrey