Utah Moab 2024 JuneFest 9th-15th

You asked about flat towing prior to mentioning towing it behind your 5th... I never really was 100% comfortable flat towing it but I was resisting buying a trailer. After I smoked the t-case I didn't have a choice.

View attachment 493270

I pulled doubles & triples when I was a OTR driver so I honestly have no desire to with my RV. But for a lighter load like a SXS or ATV or golf cart type load I can see the logic. But for a heavier vehicle like your LJ or a TJ I'd have to pass on the idea.

Sorry for the confusion. I have a flatbed trailer to load the LJ on if I want to pull behind my truck. Flat towing behind the 5th wheel is what I'm considering. Doing some research on the hitch setup for the 5'er... there's a lot of folks on a "Double Tow" group who've beefed up hitches and put lots of miles on them that way (both flat and trailered). Not arguing the point, we all have our comfort zone, and I understand "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".
Unless I can train my wife to be comfortable towing the LJ while I tow the 5'er. She'd be fine, has towed ATVs and stuff but still might be nervous.

Thanks for putting up with my ponderings. :cool:

Reactions: Wildman
Unless I pull driveshafts I can't flat tow mine. It's how I burned up two STaK's t-cases.

That had to suck.
Does the Stak require a special configuration that requires a different method to flat tow?
Transfer case in N, trans in gear, key 'on'.

Sorry for the confusion. I have a flatbed trailer to load the LJ on if I want to pull behind my truck. Flat towing behind the 5th wheel is what I'm considering. Doing some research on the hitch setup for the 5'er... there's a lot of folks on a "Double Tow" group who've beefed up hitches and put lots of miles on them that way (both flat and trailered). Not arguing the point, we all have our comfort zone, and I understand "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".
Unless I can train my wife to be comfortable towing the LJ while I tow the 5'er. She'd be fine, has towed ATVs and stuff but still might be nervous.

Thanks for putting up with my ponderings. :cool:

I have read of people who do it and have also read the comments of people who ruined their 5th by I guess not strengthening their trails up enough. I didn't have the option of two rig since I was a single dad at the time. So I had to get everything there on my own. Plus that just adds a LOT to a trip running two rigs. But I guess if you're going and want all the comforts of home...

That had to suck.
Does the Stak require a special configuration that requires a different method to flat tow?
Transfer case in N, trans in gear, key 'on'.

STaK's as far as I know never figured out that issue. I had bought one of the t-cases when it first came out and was following their directions on how to set the shifters. The first case seized the output bearing to the shaft and they had to cut it apart to figure out why. Then the second one I ruined the front output bearing and at that point it they'd said no more flat towing it. I think it's like the Atlas where you have to stop every 200 miles or so and run the engine in gear with the t-case in neutral to lube the bearings. Since they are out of business it really doesn't matter. I went and bought a trailer after that.

Reactions: lBasket and NOTNSUV
I have read of people who do it and have also read the comments of people who ruined their 5th by I guess not strengthening their trails up enough. I didn't have the option of two rig since I was a single dad at the time. So I had to get everything there on my own. Plus that just adds a LOT to a trip running two rigs. But I guess if you're going and want all the comforts of home...

STaK's as far as I know never figured out that issue. I had bought one of the t-cases when it first came out and was following their directions on how to set the shifters. The first case seized the output bearing to the shaft and they had to cut it apart to figure out why. Then the second one I ruined the front output bearing and at that point it they'd said no more flat towing it. I think it's like the Atlas where you have to stop every 200 miles or so and run the engine in gear with the t-case in neutral to lube the bearings. Since they are out of business it really doesn't matter. I went and bought a trailer after that.

Pulling the driveshafts would solve the problem too. But that’s certainly a pain.

I have read of people who do it and have also read the comments of people who ruined their 5th by I guess not strengthening their trails up enough. I didn't have the option of two rig since I was a single dad at the time.
I'm researching locals (friends and shops) to build the hitch the right way. Regardless, there are some who will not attempt under any circumstances.
One of my 'shoulda' is welding/fabricating skills.
So I had to get everything there on my own. Plus that just adds a LOT to a trip running two rigs. But I guess if you're going and want all the comforts of home...
With Grandma & the girls it's either a hotel room at over $1k + overflow parking or the 5th wheel. My preference would be to dry camp/boondock on the cheap. I have tons of experience with that. Tent is not an option, Grandma turned 67 yesterday. And double the fuel..

.. so no stress flat with my 241 following owner's manual, at least as far as the Xfer case goes.

I sure can make a big production out of this stuff. And I'm travelling way less distance than most.

Reactions: lBasket and Wildman
Pulling the driveshafts would solve the problem too. But that’s certainly a pain.

Yes it would have been but as you say it's a royal PITA.... I've done it on other rigs but I wasn't interested in doing it on this rig. Laying in the mud/snow/wet to unhook or hook up the rear shaft just wasn't happening.

I certainly missed having the Warn full float kit at that point. Used to just unlock the hubs on all 4 wheels and go. But buying a trailer was the easy solution.

I'm researching locals (friends and shops) to build the hitch the right way. Regardless, there are some who will not attempt under any circumstances.
One of my 'shoulda' is welding/fabricating skills.

I would imagine some shops not even wanting to attempt it just for liability reasons.

With Grandma & the girls it's either a hotel room at over $1k + overflow parking or the 5th wheel. My preference would be to dry camp/boondock on the cheap. I have tons of experience with that. Tent is not an option, Grandma turned 67 yesterday. And double the fuel..

I'll agree with Grandma, I've spent many years sleeping on the ground with or without a tent and I'm not interested in it anymore.

.. so no stress flat with my 241 following owner's manual, at least as far as the Xfer case goes.

You have no issues flat towing with either the NP231/241. Just follow the owners manual. The STaK's is a gear driven case like the Atlas so it's a totally different animal.

I sure can make a big production out of this stuff. And I'm travelling way less distance than most.

We all have our wants and getting our things there is important. Some only want a tarp & sleeping pad while others want the whole house.
I'm traveling in style now. Or I should say will be once I get the head gaskets replaced.

20230831_195617.jpg

Yes it would have been but as you say it's a royal PITA.... I've done it on other rigs but I wasn't interested in doing it on this rig. Laying in the mud/snow/wet to unhook or hook up the rear shaft just wasn't happening.

I certainly missed having the Warn full float kit at that point. Used to just unlock the hubs on all 4 wheels and go. But buying a trailer was the easy solution.

I would imagine some shops not even wanting to attempt it just for liability reasons.
Already run into that. Guys barked at me.
I'll agree with Grandma, I've spent many years sleeping on the ground with or without a tent and I'm not interested in it anymore.

You have no issues flat towing with either the NP231/241. Just follow the owners manual. The STaK's is a gear driven case like the Atlas so it's a totally different animal.

We all have our wants and getting our things there is important. Some only want a tarp & sleeping pad while others want the whole house.
I'm traveling in style now. Or I should say will be once I get the head gaskets replaced.

View attachment 493298

Saweeet!

• Haha
Reactions: lBasket

View attachment 493298

A sleeping bag. A backpack full of chips. Living like a king. Fuck yeah.

Figured since we have several people making reservations that we should create a dedicated thread.

The week of June 9th, 2024. This is an unofficial fest and not the normal TJ Fest which is typically in April.

A few of us will be at the KOA but stay wherever and we'll meet up for trails sometimes food.

Post if you have reservations and I'll add you to the list. Also post what trails you'd like to run and I'll compile that info.

Currently Reserved Attendees:
@Apparition
@Mrs.Apparition
@Woodrow
@Wildman
@lBasket
@MagnumV8
@NOTNSUV
@genesmail2001

Trails:
Pritchett
Hells Revenge
Metal Masher

I have 2 local TJ'ers coming with me. One has joined and is last on the list above. The other has reserved 6/8 - 12 but is not a "member" here. Should I request that he join to be copacetic?
All 3 of us will be at Canyonlands Gateway 10 miles north of Moab.

I have 2 local TJ'ers coming with me. One has joined and is last on the list above. The other has reserved 6/8 - 12 but is not a "member" here. Should I request that he join to be copacetic?

I don't feel he needs to join just for the sake of joining. If he wants to join then OK.
Part of the fun IMO is the good natured banter prior to the trip.
Plus the discussion of desired trails you might want to do.

I can't speak for how this group has done things in the last few years but when I'd gone we always met at the Moab Market NLT 8AM each morning so people could meet up and decide what trails they wanted to do that day.

I don't think he needs an account but he might want one to share photos, previous years there is just a photo thread. not sure if you can see the pics without logging in.

I can't speak for how this group has done things in the last few years but when I'd gone we always met at the Moab Market NLT 8AM each morning so people could meet up and decide what trails they wanted to do that day.
We've had a tentative schedule after some discussion previous years.

and I know everyone that stays at the KOA typically will meet at that shell right next to it for gas, snacks, before heading to the trail. Coming from Canyonlands we'd probably end up meeting at the trailhead since that's the opposite end of town?

Trails:
Pritchett
Hells Revenge
Metal Masher

Checking out the trail list above in this book. They're making it sound a bit more difficult than this group does 😆.
I bought the book last year then had to back out of the trip with friends due to a very sick dog.

PXL_20240128_172315611.MP.jpg

Trails:
Pritchett
Hells Revenge
Metal Masher

Checking out the trail list above in this book. They're making it sound a bit more difficult than this group does 😆.
I bought the book last year then had to back out of the trip with friends due to a very sick dog.

View attachment 495128

Pritchett is a very difficult trail. The other two not so much but we've definitely seen people struggling or nervous on them.

Trails:
Pritchett
Hells Revenge
Metal Masher

View attachment 495128

Pritchett is my favorite trail of all them down there.
I've done it on 35's and then 38's but it's been 12 years. Some say it's gotten harder so I'm looking forward to seeing what the difference is.

Pritchett is my favorite trail of all them down there.
I've done it on 35's and then 38's but it's been 12 years. Some say it's gotten harder so I'm looking forward to seeing what the difference is.

I'm waiting til I have 35s and lockers to try it. Going in without a rear locker (like I don't have) would be dumb IMO. So not happening this year

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
I'm waiting til I have 35s and lockers to try it. Going in without a rear locker (like I don't have) would be dumb IMO. So not happening this year
Maybe I can trail along with you on something less than Pritchett.

I'm wishy-washing around about which trails I want to tackle. I have the setup (I'm told) but would have a 'never been on the rocks' wife and twin girls (and me to be honest) to distract and maintain calm..🤪. And I don't think Grandma is up to herding 6-year-olds up and down the rocks while I do crazy shit.

Is my paralysis by analysis driving ya'll nuts yet?

On the plus side: I'm booked for the April TJ Fest, alone this time, so can sniff around then for a better idea of what's up.

Reactions: Wildman
There's a reason I have the Wildman nickname...
So when I go places like Moab I want to try the hardest trails available. I'm trying not to do this as much anymore but the desire is there.

Do what you're comfortable with doing and what grandma isn't screaming in your ear.

• Haha
Reactions: PNW_LJ and Woodrow
Trails:
Pritchett
Hells Revenge
Metal Masher

View attachment 495128

Pritchett is the only hard trail in that list. The others have hard obstacles that are optional.