Mobile home internet for $50 a month?

I'm curious to see the implementation of 5G cellular networks will change the home-internet world.

This option isn't bad and for a household of 1-2 people, the 145Mbps/80Mbps speeds would be manageable.

I use it. id say my speeds fit right in around dsl and 100mb cable internet. some days its good others its glitchy. but I put up with it.

I dont get the best reception from the tower in town though. uploads are faster than cable was and I can stream 1080 fine 99.5 % of the time. on good days I can stream 4k.
internet speed test - Google Search.jpg

Reactions: mxz800
It's probably ok for the money, but not fast enough for multiple streaming devices, gaming, ect... 145Mbps would be fine, but as the article says you don't actually get that consistently. More like 30 something, and I would bet frequent drops in speed that will make online gaming not very fun.

I'm paying $65 a month for cable that's rock solid, always 100+Mbps.

I just preordered Starlink. I live in an area that is under served by internet. 2 companies both dsl both offer speeds of about 25mbps. I am lucky to get 16-18 mbps. Hopefully I can get Starlink by summer!

I dropped cable internet for tmobile internet, im saving about $10/m (based on the promotion charter spectrum offered after discussing pricing with retentions). Honestly im not a major data hog though 99% of my internet usage is browsing the web, YouTube & reading. the cellular internet will vary for everyone really, depends where the tower is and how congested the towers are.

my average best speed I see is around 60mbps but 90% of the time im in the 30 mbps range.

honestly im waiting to see if Verizon opens up the home wifi in my area, I already have Verizon cellular and if I can get a add-on that does what tmobile wireless does for even less.. sign me up.

all in all, if you dont have many options for internet, tmobile is perfectly acceptable imo. but if you use alot of streaming data and gaming on multiple items at the same time your not going to have a good time. but theres no data caps or limiting of your speed for any GB of data consumption you can come up with.

biggest complaint I have is that the tmobile modem does not have external antennas & even in a 800ft2 place the speed drops substantially when your even 10' from the modem oh and also, when browsing any webpage that wants to know your location based off IP address... I could be in 2-3 different states in the same day.. usually it places me in Denver Colorado area. and I have heard people that stream local broadcast over the internet have been cut off from access because their IP isnt considered local.

It's probably ok for the money, but not fast enough for multiple streaming devices, gaming, ect... 145Mbps would be fine, but as the article says you don't actually get that consistently. More like 30 something, and I would bet frequent drops in speed that will make online gaming not very fun.

I'm paying $65 a month for cable that's rock solid, always 100+Mbps.
With who? I am now paying Blue Ridge $100.mo for 150 mps in pike county in the Poconos.

With who? I am now paying Blue Ridge $100.mo for 150 mps in pike county in the Poconos.

Blue Ridge. But I'm in Lancaster, right down the street from one of their offices. Maybe pricing is different up there, but just looked at their website their 150Mbps plan should be $59.95+tax.

A bit pricey to my thought. I'm paying $40/mo for - I think - 60 megabaud. Which is really about 12X faster than I really need, but whatever. I should be able to get 20 for $20 I would think...

might be the first year rate? I just passes the first year and it went up...have to call and see

Might be, I've never had mine go up though. But I've been with them forever. The plan I'm on used to be slower, but a while back when they redid their plans and price structures I got put on the 150Mbps plan and my monthly payment actually dropped.

Reactions: cliffish
I have a 30 mbps Centurylink fiber connection & use 3 Rokus, 3 PCs & multiple phones & tablets with hardly any buffering at all.

The issue is not the speed, but the latency. Fiber has almost none. Whereas cable, cellular, microwave & satellite can have a ton.

I've used the Starlink service a bit & speed is great. The latency is definitely a LOT better than conventional satellite. Hopefully once they get the rest of the satellites up there, it will improve even more.

One other thing.... wifi latency is not typically very good. So I've cabled all my PCs & 2 of the Rokus. The only wifi devices are the phones, tablets & one of the Rokus out in the garage. This keeps internal network speeds way up.

Might be, I've never had mine go up though. But I've been with them forever. The plan I'm on used to be slower, but a while back when they redid their plans and price structures I got put on the 150Mbps plan and my monthly payment actually dropped.
I can't go to the bottom level as we do stream tv and need decent internet when we work there.

I just preordered Starlink. I live in an area that is under served by internet. 2 companies both dsl both offer speeds of about 25mbps. I am lucky to get 16-18 mbps. Hopefully I can get Starlink by summer!
I signed up a while back and received an e-mail last week from them telling me the Beta was now available in my area so I took a look around and right off they made a big deal about trees which counts me out and the equipment was a bit pricey.

Our local electric coop received a Federal grant last year and is picking up speed to provide fiber to every customer within the next 2 plus years. looking forward to real speed.

I'm less then 300 yards from the main fiber that handles the south coast of Oregon and cannot get it for now.

I’m either going with Starlink or Nomad. But we just got unlimited data with Verizon offered to us. I just don’t trust the throttle back and especially with 7 lines.

So might just get both, since my wife works from home and I’d actually like to find a work at home job too so it makes buying a place a little easier when I can go an hour out of town...