Mods that I liked more than I expected

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
I’m posting this both to share my experience, and hope you guys will join in.

Here are the ones that surprised me , and why -

Seat risers ...TJ s have some “you are down in a coupe” feel that earlier Jeeps never had .
Seat risers change that feel , and seem to also be a hit with lots of folks for leg room.

Hard wired back up camera...I really enjoy the instant on, the clarity and factory look of the one I got at Best Buy . Compares to my F 250 back up camera in the mirror.
Really great with a full size 33” spare blocking my view .

Spiderweb Shade ...didn’t like it at all at first . We were having a cool June and it was just so red over my head ...weird. Then it got hot. It stays on the Jeep now. You can easily fold it back for open sky , and it is unbeatable at a red light or drive thru mid day. As long as I have a Jeep , I will always have a spiderweb or similar shade.

Bartact seat covers - I love them . Hated the price , but if there any truth to “you get what you pay for” , it is with these. You only will buy them once , plus saving the original fabric is nice . Forget what you know about all seat covers, think custom, tight fitting , rugged new upholstery. That’s Bartact.

Heated Seat kit- the online kit I got was like 65-70 bucks. Seemed way too cheap . They work great, give good coverage of heat , and Bartacts make installation a breeze too.

New 540 watt 6.5 inch speakers ..Wal Mart . Yeah I know. In a TJ you need clarity at volume with the top off, and these were rated higher than my 400 watt amp. I spray foamed the pods and screwed em in . Cover your seats if you use spray foam, and mist with water ..it works. A hose can be used with can foam to go overhead . Easy does it . Non expanding window and door foam is a good choice . I’m too old to rock out , so have at it if you need more sound ...but free tip ...hearing can be damaged .

Sound deadening -money and time well spent.

Hard top- never had one , got a factory top used , love it all winter . It’s not a must have , but I like it a lot .

My latest is a dead pedal from Quadratec - jury is still out....why? Muscle memory for one ....waited so long I forget it’s there... I think with an auto it might be more natural also.

Please add your experiences.....

Still new to the Jeep world so not much experience.

Heated seats. Wasn’t sure we needed them, but have found we have gotten soft and enjoy the small things, like a warm bottom.

Two-piece hard top. Great when it’s really hot or winter.

Rancho 5000x shocks. No idea they would be so good.

LED lights all around the outside. Huge difference in lighting up the area. Was surprised at how bad the old lights were and to think that’s what we grew up with.

Bartact seat covers - I love them . Hated the price , but if there any truth to “you get what you pay for” , it is with these. You only will buy them once , plus saving the original fabric is nice . Forget what you know about all seat covers, think custom, tight fitting , rugged new upholstery. That’s Bartact.
I recall the recommendations. I needed something quick since the set of seats I was gonna toss in this one I sold were missing the bases and the originals needed some help. Looked them up, gave them a call, they had them in stock, I drove down, picked them up at lunch today and we've already installed a couple of them. I would have got both the fronts done but I had to pull the cover and rebuild the foam a bit.

They are good covers and they are at a price point that is higher than it should be but the next step down in quality is crap comparatively. I don't regret them, I would buy them again, but OEM replacement covers are in the same price range.

@AndyG, nice list. I’ve been interested in adding three of the creature comforts you listed; sound deadening, heated seat and Bartacts. I already have the seat risers, spidershade, speakers and hard top. Good to know the others are top notch!

1) Spidershade for sure. I see people riding around in convertible corvettes all the time. They look hot as HELL because they are as hot as HELL.

2) Rockford Fosgate PS-8. Makes the sound incredible, even with the top and doors off!

3) 33’s. I think I’m happy. That’s saying something. It made a big difference over 31’s.

4) Re-gear. You don’t know what you are missing until you take the plunge.

5) Lockers. Really? Look out, here I come.

I recall the recommendations. I needed something quick since the set of seats I was gonna toss in this one I sold were missing the bases and the originals needed some help. Looked them up, gave them a call, they had them in stock, I drove down, picked them up at lunch today and we've already installed a couple of them. I would have got both the fronts done but I had to pull the cover and rebuild the foam a bit.

They are good covers and they are at a price point that is higher than it should be but the next step down in quality is crap comparatively. I don't regret them, I would buy them again, but OEM replacement covers are in the same price range.

Where are you finding oem replacement upholstery for $300?

@AndyG, nice list. I’ve been interested in adding three of the creature comforts you listed; sound deadening, heated seat and Bartacts. I already have the seat risers, spidershade, speakers and hard top. Good to know the others are top notch!

1) Spidershade for sure. I see people riding around in convertible corvettes all the time. They look hot as HELL because they are as hot as HELL.

2) Rockford Fosgate PS-8. Makes the sound incredible, even with the top and doors off!

3) 33’s. I think I’m happy. That’s saying something. It made a big difference over 31’s.

4) Re-gear. You don’t know what you are missing until you take the plunge.

5) Lockers. Really? Look out, here I come.
Good post . I’m so sold on regearing I don’t even consider it a mod...I call it a necessary correction to oversize tires. Thanks and good job.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindsey97 and JMT
I know. He’s very well known in the Jeep world. I was just hoping he’d share the source of those 😂
I don't have a source for OEM at that price. I have bought lots of custom upholstery over the years and have a pretty clear idea of what I can get the OEM covers copied for at a good shop. That and there are lots of leather kits that replace the OEM for little more than the Bartact stuff. Of course, the labor to make it look good will be a lot higher, but it also won't look like you stuck some seat covers on some worn out seats.

The PO installed both and I appreciate both.
Hand throttle. It was free and easy to install. Nothing better than off-road cruise control.
MoRryde tire carrier. Less weight and the window is actually useable.
Have you got a thread on how that hand throttle is set up.? I want to do one and if rig it I ll probably launch it through my garage.

X2 on the Bartact seat covers and the Spiderwebshade. I recently did the seat covers and you truly get what you pay for.

DSCN3678.JPG

I was pretty pissed when I bent my factory sway bar on a rock but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise – while I wasn’t too thrilled forking over a few hundred to replace it with an anti-rock it has more than delivered on its promises.

In terms value I can’t think of anything better than the spiderweb shade, makes every minute of every hot & sunny day more enjoyable.

Re-gear wins the prize for most shocking & dramatic difference.

Good list of the under the radar type mods here. I will add a few.
-Genright 31 gallon tank- before the "you dont need that much gas" responses start ... some of us do. I live part time in So Utah, and its a looong way between fill ups on some runs.
-American Convoy soft top- very pricey, but well thought out and well made. The biggest selling feature for me is that I can just roll up the windows at a trailhead, and roll them down when I hit the pavement.
-Corbeau seats- makes long highway rides less brutal.