Moog ZJ Steering Parts (Update)

01TJ-Blues

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Chris feel free to move this where it needs to be, there are a few threads regarding this.

I ordered all of the Moog ZJ conversion parts off Amazon despite some of the other members saying the later Moog stuff isn’t up to par as the old. They were right, I got all of the order, pulled it out of the box and the first thing I checked was if the grease zerk passages were drilled...NOPE...they weren’t. I could have drilled them out but was irritated and sent the entire pack of parts back went for the Currie Currectlync. For anyone deciding between the two, after seeing and holding both as well as stock the quality and severe duty of the Currie is hands down the best. I have ZERO buyer’s remorse with the Currie and of you are considering the upgrade between ZJ and the Currie...ITS WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY.

I definitely agree that the Currie is worth the extra money for sure. It's more expensive, but it is indeed a beefy SOB.

Reactions: 01TJ-Blues
Ordered all my Moog ZJ upgrade parts from Amazon and all had grease holes drilled and taped. And included zero fittings in a small cellophane bag.
I had first ordered for stock TJ and the drag link (Moog also) had the threading so light it wouldn't even hold a rod end.

Check the write up or ask if that particular part number has the grease fitting or not.

Ordered all my Moog ZJ upgrade parts from Amazon and all had grease holes drilled and taped. And included zero fittings in a small cellophane bag.
I had first ordered for stock TJ and the drag link (Moog also) had the threading so light it wouldn't even hold a rod end.

Check the write up or ask if that particular part number has the grease fitting or not.

I ordered all the parts individually based off Chris's ZJ Steering how-to, everything was already threaded & came with new fittings. 🤷‍♂️

Ordered all my Moog ZJ upgrade parts from Amazon and all had grease holes drilled and taped. And included zerk fittings in a small cellophane bag.

I used the part number listed from the thread, it all matched when it came in and they did have the zerks and boots in the baggie BUT the holes zerk were only cast part way, but not drilled all the way through on the ones I received.

ZJ steering works great for me. I got the parts from rockauto and didn't have any issues. I upgraded after I bent the stock setup a few times and got tired of bending it back. I think some people forget that the ZJ steering upgrade has nothing to do with Moog, any of the various manufacturers make stuff that are fine. It is the ZJ part that makes the difference. You could probably do the whole upgrade for $50 if you picked wisely.

Reactions: DuncLJ
I’ve given up on moog lately and use mevotech now. They have worked great for all my daily drivers. I cannot attest for off reading.

for my purposes, works great = lasts more than 100K miles.

Reactions: Zorba
Once I fix my p0344 circuit issue, I plan to go correct lync - however the ZJ setup I did as of last year wasn’t too bad.

I’ve got all the parts in my cart on Rockauto for less than $200 shipped. That includes a new drag link which isn’t necessary, but will be done at the same time. If you have a newer drag link the parts are only around $100.

Their shipping costs have gone through the roof as Blaine has said recently. For better or worse they just pass the costs on to you. I've had good luck with their overstock Ultra-power stuff. If you look closely at the pictures sometimes you can tell the brand you'll get.

Did you bust it or bend it? I'd be curious how it fails, what to watch for.

I’m still running it, but yeah I bent it in with a bad line over a boulder. We yanked it out a little with a winch on the trail and I’ve only done an alignment and kept running it.