Mopar manual transmission fluid equivalent

rol1964

What's the standard (Mopar Man Trans fluid) MS-9224 equivalent / replacement in Canada?
I tried to order the Mopar stuff on-line but it's supposedly no longer available / produced? And it's likely just another product relabelled and sold as "Mopar special" at inflated prices anyways...blah blah blah.
Pennzoil synchromesh is not available at my local Crappy Tire.
Thx. Rol1964

Don't even consider using the crappy Pennzoil (or its GM counterpart) Synchromesh, it has less than stellar reviews.

The very best alternative that is known for your transmission is Redline MTL which more than meets the Mopar spec. This is what you want... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NTEWQ1U/?tag=tjforum-20

Plus the Redline MTL is a full synthetic which is what you want for your cold Canadian winters. Pennzoil Synchromesh is a conventional which doesn't do well in cold weather.

Reactions: AaronPaul and Tob
I just drained the redline mtl and went back to royal purple.

when it’s cold royal purple > redline

Don't even consider using the crappy Pennzoil (or its GM counterpart) Synchromesh, it has less than stellar reviews.

The very best alternative that is known for your transmission is Redline MTL which more than meets the Mopar spec. This is what you want... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NTEWQ1U/?tag=tjforum-20

Plus the Redline MTL is a full synthetic which is what you want for your cold Canadian winters. Pennzoil Synchromesh is a conventional which doesn't do well in cold weather.
$27.00 / quart...? That's a bit pricey. I read that Mopar now recommends 10w30...is that correct?

$27.00 / quart...? That's a bit pricey. I read that Mopar now recommends 10w30...is that correct?
Pricey or not your transmission is worth $54 which is not going to break you.

No Mopar does not recommend 10W-30 for newer transmissions like yours, that synthetic 10W-30 recommendation you read about was for the older AX-5 and AX-15 transmissions.

Ok, let me put this into perspective from a Canadian standpoint.

I put MTL in my tranny. Was one of the folks who put the Mopar stuff back in because it didn't shift well...which by the way you can just walk up to the counter at the dealer and buy.

The eye opener for you is if you think MTL is pricey, 2 quarts of the Mopar stuff will run you $100. But then again, can probably just run any old stuff as the NSG370s are super easy and dirt cheap to rebuild :)

• Wow
Reactions: Tob
MTL cost me $48 a quart in Australia so thats about $94 CND for the 2 quarts :( All gears changed smoother except 1st -2nd which seems to have got a bit more notchy than before, the MTL felt a lot thinner to touch than the original I drained out.
I have to change 1st - 2nd at a much lower road speed now but 4th-2nd 3rd to 2nd and going in reverse are a lot smoother than before.
Its always hot here so not sure what its like for a cold climate.

Correct, that is what you will generally find from those who switched back to Mopar from MTL...1-2 became too notchy.
I have it under control mostly I just had to lower my 1st-2nd road speed change like you would with a road ranger lol, this does cause traffic behind me at lights to take off faster than me which could be a tail end bump waiting to happen.
Funny thing though some behind me illegally switch lanes as they want a faster take off but by the time I am in 3rd they are ducking back in behind me :)
Its only been in a month so I will give it a bit of time and if it stays the same I will change it out before looking at fixing the synchro's.

Had always used the Mopar in my NV3550 but it developed a sticky synchro and would grind when downshifting into 2nd gear. Replaced the fluid with Redline MTL, and within a few miles of driving, it was shifting smooth in all gears, in both directions. Definitely better than a transmission rebuild.

Ok Jerry, I see this is an OLD post. But in more recent posts I see you do recommend Pennzoil Synchro. So, now that is 2022, NV3550 manual trans....what do you recommend?