Mopar NGK vs NGK plugs

Bigmac

Rather be in 29 palms.
Supporting Member
Needed to replace my plugs as they are long overdue and was troubleshooting other ignition issues. Was on a time crunch so after ordering Mopar plugs from dealer (with a wait to get them) I also ordered NGK from Rock Auto in case the dealer plugs didnt show up in time. Ended up getting them the same day. Mopar plugs 5 bucks each, NGK 1.50 each...

NGK now makes the MOPAR plugs you get from the dealer.

Just for gaffs I had to see if there was any difference. There was, but very slight, some color difference, a different batch or lot number, and the mopar reads "made in USA from japanese parts" the NGK just says "japan"

I used the mopar plugs just to be sure, but I'm wondering if there really is any difference in these two.

see for yourselves.
IMG_20210112_185404989.jpg
IMG_20210112_185349774.jpg
IMG_20210112_185335401.jpg
IMG_20210112_185304908.jpg

It’s always a good idea to put the plugs in that it came with from the factory. Putting the wrong plugs in can cause misfire in some engines and you will pull you hair out trying to figure out that you caused a misfire by putting the wrong plugs in!

Reactions: Bigmac
Why didn't you go with the widely popular Autolite XP985? Seems silly to throw copper plugs in when iridiums or platinums will last over 100k miles.
I've tried them before during routine maintenance. Ran like shit, and yes I gapped them. Took them back out and put the factory ones back in for another 10k and ran fine.

The NGKs / mopar NGK are nickel not copper.

I figured this would turn into another autolite thread...

Fwiw, I know I'm not the only one here who's had problems with them...

I figured this would turn into another autolite thread...

Fwiw, I know I'm not the only one here who's had problems with them...
My mistake on them being nickel, not copper.

Don't take it the wrong way. No one is judging you. If you had a bad experience with them then it'd be good for the community to know. No one product is perfect, so when there's new information about why they do or do not work in a specific situation then others should be aware.

I'd be curious where you bought the Autolites. I've heard of counterfeits being produced. Is it possible you were duped?

My mistake on them being nickel, not copper.

Don't take it the wrong way. No one is judging you. If you had a bad experience with them then it'd be good for the community to know. No one product is perfect, so when there's new information about why they do or do not work in a specific situation then others should be aware.

I'd be curious where you bought the Autolites. I've heard of counterfeits being produced. Is it possible you were duped?
I believe I bought them from autozone but it's been a year or so. Believe me I wanted them to be the answer, I even removed them and held onto them thinking id give them another try but never did. They appear genuine.

APP985 was the recommendation on the forum for the 2000 IIRC. Remember researching it on the forums prior to the purchase so i was a bit miffed when it ran so poorly.

16108187486341236158646644994898.jpg

Not completely sure, but I didn't think you're supposed to gap iridium plugs, I believe they are usually preset when manufactured, and depending on how you gapped them you may have damaged the electrode

It’s always a good idea to put the plugs in that it came with from the factory. Putting the wrong plugs in can cause misfire in some engines and you will pull you hair out trying to figure out that you caused a misfire by putting the wrong plugs in!

I have a 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee 3.6 with auto light XP 5701 in mind and all of a sudden now I have a misfire in cylinder one I was told to get rid of those plugs and put in NGK Illenium or platinum He said those plugs gave him nothing but problems he want to rip his hair out is that what could be causing the problem with mine it ran good for a while now I have a misfire cylinder one I swapped everything still misfire