More issues 😕

k0m0d067

TJ Enthusiast
Not sure if they're all related to my other issues...but here's the most recent developments

In order to see if the CAT is plugged, and causing my power loss/engine dying, I pulled the O2 sensor, and drove it all weekend...no problems, other than it sounded, as expected, like it had a big hole in the exhaust...drove to work this morning, same...drove ok...

Then, on the way home, it started running rough, and idling low (to the point I was worried it would die again)...so in order to keep from dying in peak hour traffic, I kept taking it out of gear and feathering the gas...then it started running hot, so I pulled off and stopped, and turned it off before it set the temp light off...

As before when it would get hot, I could hear it blowing bubbles into the overflow tank, and the upped radiator hose was very hot to the touch...but the strange thing was, the bottom hose was cold?? Was cold weather in the morning, so I put the defroster on, but it seemed to take a bit longer than I would have thought (gauge was showing middle of the range, and still wasn't blowing warm...got there eventually)

Thoughts on the upper hose hot, while the lower hose cold? Thermostat sticking and not allowing the coolant to flow? I still would have thought ambient heat would have at least warmed it? Blocked radiator?

The lower hose should be cool. That is the coolant going from the radiator to your engine after it has been cooled off through the radiator. Likewise, the upper should be hot, as it is returning the hot coolant from the engine to the radiator to expel the heat.

Reactions: k0m0d067
The lower hose should be cool. That is the coolant going from the radiator to your engine after it has been cooled off through the radiator. Likewise, the upper should be hot, as it is returning the hot coolant from the engine to the radiator to expel the heat.

Yes, I understand how it works, thanks...but the engine is at the point of overheating, and the radiator boiling over, and the hose is cold...this is not normal return hose temperature...

Definitely a possibility

You are going to have to start somewhere and water pump is as good a place as any. The vehicle dying isn't related to this and I'd suggest it's a separate issue.

I'd change plugs, air cleaner and then work your way through the sensors, clean out the throttle body. FWIW My vehicle wasn't missing but would just die sporadically and then go again - was spark plugs.

You are going to have to start somewhere and water pump is as good a place as any. The vehicle dying isn't related to this and I'd suggest it's a separate issue.

I'd change plugs, air cleaner and then work your way through the sensors, clean out the throttle body. FWIW My vehicle wasn't missing but would just die sporadically and then go again - was spark plugs.

I'm trying to avoid just throwing parts at it, but I will look into the water pump tomorrow 👍🏻

Air cleaner is clean...will check plugs as well...

Work the overheat issue first. Then go after idle power loss issue. An engine that is running hot can and will cause other symptoms. If everything is original in the cooling system, bite the bullet and replace. No on item might be failing, but all have lost enough efficiency that the system is limping along. The beauty of owning an old vehicle.

Reactions: k0m0d067
Trust me on the o2 sensor post before throwing money at it. Replace the clogged exhaust. Put in the o2 sensor. You know for sure that's bad. Fix that and if you still have over heating look elsewhere. With out the o2 sensor it can run rich, extra fuel, causing over heating. The o2 sensor reads how much gas/air exhuast is coming out and adjusts to that. With the sensor out it's all air and your computer is dumping way to much gas in the engine

Reactions: Ericict
Trust me on the o2 sensor post before throwing money at it. Replace the clogged exhaust. Put in the o2 sensor. You know for sure that's bad. Fix that and if you still have over heating look elsewhere. With out the o2 sensor it can run rich, extra fuel, causing over heating. The o2 sensor reads how much gas/air exhuast is coming out and adjusts to that. With the sensor out it's all air and your computer is dumping way to much gas in the engine

You are right, it will cause it to run rich and can cause it to run hotter but not sure it would be enough to cause an OH. I do think he has a couple of issues going on.