More pics of an old barn find

It kind of looks like the windshield is a single part with that panel that comes down. So could have swapped that out for the fold down windshield it currently has.
8413a8e17fb5b702e94abbe9376f5fd5.jpg

I’ve been examining my pics a little closer & I realized that the fuel tank isn’t under the driver’s seat. Look at the pic of the rear passenger side that shows the spare tire. Is that the fuel fill just above the passenger side tail light?
Also, there are only 2 levers for the transmission/transfer case instead of 3. Could it be that there was no low range? The more I look the more questions I have.

Reactions: BillW
Here are two paragraphs out of the book "The Story of Jeep" by Patrick R. Foster. printed by Krause Publications in 1998.

The model year is 1955....

"With passenger cars fading out of the picture, Willys concentrated on Jeep vehicles once again. A new low-priced commercial model was introduced. Called the DJ-3A, it utilized the body of the retired CJ-3A, as well as its flat head four-cylinder engine, but was offered only as a two-wheel-drive vehicle. The DJ-3A came with either left or right hand drive, since one of Willys' intentions was to offer it as a postal delivery car here in the U.S. Of course, it could also be sold in right-hand drive markets overseas. Available as an open roadster or with optional hardtop or soft-top, the DJ-3A offered rugged construction and dependability in a less expensive package.
Priced at just $1205 for the basic roadster, and marketed as a low cost delivery car or runabout, it enjoyed only modest sales. It did however, allow Willys to sell in a market niche it would otherwise have missed out on."

Later on there was a DJ-6. but it mostly was sold overseas....

No production numbers were mentioned...

The DJ-3A remained in production until the 1965 model year, as did the CJ-3B....

So, in answer to the original poster, the DJ-3A was offered only in the 2 wheel drive version.

And my question, there were both left and right hand drive DJ-3As.....

I posted a couple of pics of this old Jeep sometime last Fall. I’m back in the area so I took some more pics. It’s in a pole barn next to Suds Monkey Brewing on Texas Highway 290 west of Austin.
There was much discussion about my previous post & I’ve got some better pics now. Some of us thought it might be a DJ (mail truck) because of the shape of the cut-outs at the entry. These pics show early CJ headlights & 7 slot grill. It’s also definitely a 4X4.
‘Any thoughts?

View attachment 317388

View attachment 317389

View attachment 317390

View attachment 317391
I like the spare tire. My friend Steve has the full set on his CJ-3B.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudflat
I’ve been examining my pics a little closer & I realized that the fuel tank isn’t under the driver’s seat. Look at the pic of the rear passenger side that shows the spare tire. Is that the fuel fill just above the passenger side tail light?
Also, there are only 2 levers for the transmission/transfer case instead of 3. Could it be that there was no low range? The more I look the more questions I have.
Since that Jeep did not come with 4 wheel drive, the transfer case and front axle had to have been added by someone in the past. I have no idea what the drive-train is in this Jeep.

That fuel fill on the right rear fender above the taillight is the same as the CJ-5. The DJ-3A was in production long into the CJ-5 era.....

A quick look at the dash and you can determine this is indeed a DJ3A with the round gauge cluster which included the speedometer, fuel level and temperature. The traditional cj2a and cj3a dash had five separate gauges.

Also I would say this originally was a column shift as you can see a decent size hole in the floor above the steering column. This is where the linkage would have gone through.

Reactions: BillW and Mudflat
Also, there are only 2 levers for the transmission/transfer case instead of 3.
Looks like the normal twin stick transfer case setup to me with the white ball on the front axle lever and none on the outer low range. The only time there would be a fourth lever is if overdrive was installed. I don't think that's a normal thing. So many parts could have been swapped and messed with, CJ2s were dime a dozen for years.

Since that Jeep did not come with 4 wheel drive, the transfer case and front axle had to have been added by someone in the past. I have no idea what the drive-train is in this Jeep.
Me either, but it does have locking front hubs so it’s 4X4 whether it’s factory or not.
A quick look at the dash and you can determine this is indeed a DJ3A with the round gauge cluster which included the speedometer, fuel level and temperature. The traditional cj2a and cj3a dash had five separate gauges.

Also I would say this originally was a column shift as you can see a decent size hole in the floor above the steering column. This is where the linkage would have gone through.
Yes! I can see what you mean about the gauge cluster. I think that big hole in the floor was for access to the master cylinder or something. ‘Not sure. But I can see a cut out in the dash above the steering column indicating that you are correct about it once being a column shift (3 on the tree). I also see some kind of partition behind the seats which makes me wonder if there was once a bench seat which would explain why it would have a column shift.
This is really getting to be fun & I’m getting more & more curious. I may have to go back for a closer look & more pics & since I’m right there I will drink some more good beer at Suds Monkey. 🍻

Reactions: BillW
Me either, but it does have locking front hubs so it’s 4X4 whether it’s factory or not.

Yes! I can see what you mean about the gauge cluster. I think that big hole in the floor was for access to the master cylinder or something. ‘Not sure. But I can see a cut out in the dash above the steering column indicating that you are correct about it once being a column shift (3 on the tree). I also see some kind of partition behind the seats which makes me wonder if there was once a bench seat which would explain why it would have a column shift.
This is really getting to be fun & I’m getting more & more curious. I may have to go back for a closer look & more pics & since I’m right there I will drink some more good beer at Suds Monkey. 🍻

The cut out in the dash your talking about was standard with or without the column shift. The hole is in the floor that I’m talking about above the steering column, maybe looks like a rectangle if you zoom in the first picture, a little hard to see but visible.

Your are correct, that inspection hole below the column is for servicing the master cylinder though.

According to the articles that I've read, no DJs came from the factory with 4 wheel drive. That is not saying that it could not have been converted afterwards.

Not all DJ’s are mail jeeps or right hand drive, there 2wd jeeps. My dad has a 1964 willys DJ 3a surrey edition

He first pic is not his but it’s what it looked like when he bought it. The 2nd pic is before we stretched it and the last pic is what it looks like now.

C78E63DD-BE39-4AAB-932B-526D8FD14E36.jpeg

E1F50172-D8E0-4322-8D38-D17B79748D14.jpeg

08844214-EC5D-421B-B444-754FF177C24B.jpeg