More power

Alittle29

I have a 2004 tj with a 4.0l 5 speed. I have 205xxx miles on it. A 2.5 inch lift on 33 inch tires. I'm looking to get more power out of my jeep what can I do? I'm interested in swapping in a v8 but that price tag isn't the best. Any help would be appreciated

I have an f150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. I think that engine would be amazing in my jeep. Good mileage and lots of power. No way I could attempt a swap like that.

I have a 2004 tj with a 4.0l 5 speed. I have 205xxx miles on it. A 2.5 inch lift on 33 inch tires. I'm looking to get more power out of my jeep what can I do? I'm interested in swapping in a v8 but that price tag isn't the best. Any help would be appreciated
how much are you willing to spend?
Best bang for your buck: new gears front and rear.

I have a 2004 tj with a 4.0l 5 speed. I have 205xxx miles on it. A 2.5 inch lift on 33 inch tires. I'm looking to get more power out of my jeep what can I do?
Its your 33" tire's larger diameter that is the reason for the loss of power. The larger diameter reduces the engine rpms which reduces how much power it puts out at any given speed.

The good news is it's an easy fix, you only need to regear your axles to 4.56 which will really wake up your Jeep again. I would only suggest 4.88 if you are likely to go with 35" tires later. 4.56 will give you optimal highway rpms, you'll really like what regearing will do for you. The only bad news is it's not cheap to do, it'll be somewhere around $1500 or so to have it done. If you have it done, insist the shop fill your axles with CONVENTIONAL gear lube, not a synthetic which causes the new gears to run hotter which is really bad for new gears during the break-in process. Really.

Gearing--definitely puts the 4.0L/5-spd back in useable power range with tire upsize--especially on the highway. I also like the benefit of better crawl ratio on rough trails and engine braking in mountainous terrain.