More Power

Expectations are kind of key. I put over 100k miles on an 85hp Saturn. It was a good beater commuter. Honestly, it can even be fun - as long as you don't try to accelerate on an uphill. I have more than a couple of miles on my Gen 1 Tacoma - I think they claim 145hp, but I think they lie. OMG it has so little power. 15 second 0-60 (most of that being the 45-60). Yep, I put larger tires on it - sure it could use a regearing - but it is a 5 speed... The I6 has all the power it needs, get it geared right and accept it for what it is. I currently have 3.73. Turning off OD and it is fine. When I regear to 5.13 it will be better yet.

Sure, there are mistical majical means to give your TJ more power. But they are not cheep and not necessary. Stoker conversion, v8 swap, turbo or blower - hell a diesel conversion. But those will not really change the fact that unless you are doing uphill races, it can still be the Jeep that could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Sure, there are mistical majical means to give your TJ more power. But they are not cheep and not necessary. Stoker conversion, v8 swap, turbo or blower - hell a diesel conversion.
To my knowledge, this is the only "mistical majical" horsepower

7262-Rainbow-unicorn-1320x1320.jpg

Not all 4.0L engines are the same. When I bought mine it had 35s and 4.10 gears. I never had to worry about turning of the OD because vacuum was low enough that the ECM would not command it. Putting 5.38s in it made it worse. It could not decide between 3rd and OD.

The fix for me was tuning software. The factory timing table is horrible! Just making a small change at first really picked up the power. I have tweaked the tune several times and pretty happy with it. I bought stroker parts at about the same time I bought the tuning software and after tuning I have been happy with the power. I'm not saying the tune can replace a stroker, but it has allowed me to put it off for a while. I wish people would not parrot others unless they know it is true.

I don't doubt that. Mine would not hold OD and 3rd was more revs than I wanted on the interstate with the 5.38s. My engine was a dog from the day l bought it.

Last edited: