MORryde HD Tailgate Hinges

Breto31

TJ Enthusiast
I’m looking to finally run a 33x12.50 spare, and I’m curious if the MORryde HD tailgate hinges + stock tire carrier will be sufficient for the time being. I still have the stock carrier in my garage, and I want to go ahead and mount my spare for my upcoming off-road trip in a couple of weeks.

Would this setup be sufficient for short-term use until I get an HD carrier as well? I have the stock rear bumper as well.

I understand I may need to make some slight adjustments to the stock carrier via spacers.

Do you run any type of tailgate/hinge reinforcements with it?

I used the hinges AND the triangle shaped reinforcement bracket that ties the hinge to the C-Pillar with 33’s.

I think many of us run the stock tire carrier with 35’s with no issues, I know I do. As long as you got it snug against the snubbers you will be good to go
35's will eventually break/crack the OE carrier, mine cracked at the top just carrying a 33x12.50R15 spare tire. I had installed taller spare tire snubbers to prevent the spare tire from moving around from the first day I installed 33's.

Reactions: Jamesval035
I’m looking to finally run a 33x12.50 spare, and I’m curious if the MORryde HD tailgate hinges + stock tire carrier will be sufficient for the time being. I still have the stock carrier in my garage, and I want to go ahead and mount my spare for my upcoming off-road trip in a couple of weeks.

Would this setup be sufficient for short-term use until I get an HD carrier as well? I have the stock rear bumper as well.

I understand I may need to make some slight adjustments to the stock carrier via spacers.
I'd go for the entire Morryde or Exogate spare tire carrier which has an additional hidden bracket that transfers the weight of the tire to the rear rollcage mounting base so the tail gate isn't supporting the spare's weight. As said above I broke the factory spare tire carrier bracket within 4-5 months of carrying a 33" spare tire.

My new to me LJ had a 32in with no snubbers on a stock tailgate and hinges. It rattled. I got the full MoRyde kit. When mounting it all there was a noticeable bow in the tailgate itself. It straightened out as I snugged up the reinforcement bars. I can also tell that the latch post is bent a bit. I extended the snubbers and 90% rattle improvement.

Watch the price as it swings. I got mine on AMZ from $340 and it currently is listed for $415

I went ahead and bought the full reinforcement kit for $415 from Extreme Terrain. I’ll get it installed when it gets here, and then get the spare mounted.

Will report back!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My new to me LJ had a 32in with no snubbers on a stock tailgate and hinges. It rattled. I got the full MoRyde kit. When mounting it all there was a noticeable bow in the tailgate itself. It straightened out as I snugged up the reinforcement bars. I can also tell that the latch post is bent a bit. I extended the snubbers and 90% rattle improvement.

Watch the price as it swings. I got mine on AMZ from $340 and it currently is listed for $415

I week ago it was $365, now it's $415. I should have pulled the trigger last week for my son's Jeep. Dang.

I week ago it was $365, now it's $415. I should have pulled the trigger last week for my son's Jeep. Dang.

I just bought one off of Amazon for for $361.27. I just added it to my shopping cart and wait a few days and the dealer dropped the to $361.27 from $420.00. I just looked on Amazon and it's even lower! Be sure to us this web site like for whatever you buy from Amazon. It goes to to support this great forum.

Reactions: John Cooper