Most used / favorite tool?

I do a lot of fabrication work and could not get by without my combination squares. I have about 15 of them ranging in size from 6" to 24".

Combination Square.jpg

I just picked this up the other day and am shocked I’ve gone this long without. My favorite by far is the socket set you can just see the corner of in the photo. My father bought that for me when I was 12 (I think) and I’ve never received a more useful gift.
IMG_6558.jpeg

Last edited:
I do a lot of fabrication work and could not get by without my combination squares. I have about 15 of them ranging in size from 6" to 24".

View attachment 522984

I'm a fan of good combination squares. They work great when they do. What they don't do very well at all is help you lay out anything when the tube radius is greater than the distance from the blade to the edge of the square, then they suck.

The universal square is just stellar for frame work.
And you can use it on round tube to lay-out a mount or tab and hold it square to the tube.
1714482604806.png

It has long and short legs to set it on the frame and not be too long and run into the tub.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-5-in-Aluminum-Universal-Square-HUS125/305058635

And while I have not had an issue, I'd like one in extruded aluminum instead of die cast.

I'm a fan of good combination squares. They work great when they do. What they don't do very well at all is help you lay out anything when the tube radius is greater than the distance from the blade to the edge of the square, then they suck.

And you can use it on round tube to lay-out a mount or tab and hold it square to the tube.
View attachment 523013
It has long and short legs to set it on the frame and not be too long and run into the tub.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-5-in-Aluminum-Universal-Square-HUS125/305058635

And while I have not had an issue, I'd like one in extruded aluminum instead of die cast.

What's going on with the threaded rod in that pic? Are you using it for positioning the tab off the brake?

I've had to ponder this a bit. My favorite tool(s) that I use daily that I can not ever do without because there is no substitute, nothing that works as well, and nothing that delivers the results I need and have to have every single time I use it.
1714483145809.png

What's going on with the threaded rod in that pic? Are you using it for positioning the tab off the brake?
Yes, I combined the Anti Rock tab with the parking brake cable mount and needed to set the hole exactly in line with eyelet and the same distance away for both sides.
1714483481979.png

View attachment 523013

I have the same one (Husky) and use it too. (y)

Reactions: mrblaine
I just picked this up the other day and am shocked I’ve gone this long without. My favorite by far is the socket set you can just see the corner of in the photo. My father bought that for me when I was 12 (I think) and I’ve never received a more useful gift.View attachment 523012

I've had one of these in my toolbox for 20 years and only used it for the very first time this year. I've NEEDED it tons of times, but always in a situation where the nut was buried or near something that made it impossible to get the tool onto it.

Reactions: RFAASRMA

View attachment 523013

There's this LaSquare machinist combo square or you can pay for this ridiculously overpriced fireball tool combo square

Edit: Nevermind, I just saw how inexpensive the Huskey square is :oops:

Last edited:
Here's my favorite, most-used tool:

1714484730842.png

Sadly, too many people have unrealized potential using it...

(this post is only partially intended to be humorous)

View attachment 523013

I've used V-blocks for similar fixturing, but I don't think a V-block would allow the threaded rod in your example. I wasn't aware of the Universal Square, so thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Zorba and mrblaine

View attachment 523013

Ok so now I need one of these.....Funny how you don't need something until you know they exist!

As do I but they have the same problem. The flat doesn't reach past the rounded corner on the frame. If they made an affordable version with 2" flanges, that would great.

I bought a Sherwrap that has a fold over 1" edge. It works ok for a frame but not for something like an axle tube. It has a few draw backs but it was like $20.

1714499616708.png

Reactions: mrblaine and Rickyd