Mounting rear shocks body up/shaft down

freedom_in_4low

I'm a rooster illusion
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
so I'm in the middle of getting my rear suspension set up for my SYE and took the shocks off to invert them, which I read about on this forum. However, the context of that post was referring to the Rancho RS5000x. I unfortunately inherited a set of RS5000 (without the x) when I bought my TJ. I Googled to see if it was ok to mount the RS5000 shaft down and came across a couple of old threads (like 2003), including one on Pirate, that included a few people saying it works just fine and a few swearing up and down that they lose all their damping if mounted that way. There seem to be some RS5000 applications that appear to mount them that way, but I'm unsure whether they're different internally somehow to allow that.

Can anybody attest to whether an RS5000 can be mounted down, or just share some wisdom/experience on what types or configurations of shock do and don't work when mounted upside down? If these won't work that way for whatever reason I'll just get out the grinder and call it a day.

The RS5000 is a twin-tube hydraulic shock and it wasn't designed to be mounted upside-down. Monotube shocks can be mounted in either position without problem. There are exceptions but I'm pretty confident the RS5000 would not do well mounted upside down.

perfect, you've probably saved me the trouble of having to flip them back later after everything was back together. Thanks!!!