Davesabola

Hi i’ve looked all over the web and forums but can’t find any information on how to replace the 5 colored vacuum lines that go from the heater selector switch to the heater box door actuators. Take dash out??? Also can’t find a source for the complete harness. While in storage mice ate a large portion of all 5 hoses.! They disappear up under dash over the heater box and 4 of them end at the actuators. I assume one of them ends up in the engine compartment to pick up the vacuum line.!Thanks

I don’t think you can get a new vacuum harness, but you could check @Goreshnik, dead Jeep, eBay, and other market places.

If you download your year’s jeep factory service manual from the resources section, it shows a lot of what you need to know to fix your Jeep.

YouTube has videos on lots of Jeep repairs, and might have something on the vacuum harness routing.

It does seem to me like you’re going to need to take at least some of the dash out to run new lines.

Hopefully someone with direct experience with this situation will comment and share some tips.

Reactions: Blondie70
I'll loan you my 18lb kitten to prevent it from happening again. 👍
Jasper wild (2).jpg

I think it only shows the short piece of the harness to the switch not the long piece to the actuators, but regardless shows it as unavailable but thanks for trying i appreciate it.
At least you have a part number to try and track it down elsewhere if you need it.

The cover comes off in pieces leaving a skeleton of metal & plastic that's a little easier to work around

So as a follow up for others i was able to fish a string behind the defrost duct where the hoses run then pull through new hoses. Also to reconnect the main vacuum feed line i spliced it with heat shrink tubing which seems to work great. Still not out of the woods need to replace the vacuum actuator for the defrost door. Trying to figure out how to remove it from its plastic mount without breaking the plastic?

So as a follow up for others i was able to fish a string behind the defrost duct where the hoses run then pull through new hoses. Also to reconnect the main vacuum feed line i spliced it with heat shrink tubing which seems to work great. Still not out of the woods need to replace the vacuum actuator for the defrost door. Trying to figure out how to remove it from its plastic mount without breaking the plastic?
Have you checked the FSM to see if they explain how to remove and replace that actuator?

I’ve looked at that section and thought they covered how to do it. Go to the resources section and download your year manual if you haven’t already.

So as a follow up the two single hose vacuum actuators are moving but not the main double hose one. I have replaced it but no improvement. Wondering if a small leak somewhere is limiting vacuum pressure. I guess next step is to buy a hand vacuum pump and work through the system one component at a time. Arrh this are never simple

So finally solved this bear of a problem. Borrowed a hand vacuum pump. Highly recommended for anyone trying to troubleshoot this problem. Easily worked through each section of the system to see what held vacuum pressure. Culprit turned out to be a leaking vacuum reservoir that’s under the battery. Took it out fixed it and remounted in a accessible spot. Controls now work perfectly. P.S to splice the hoses are by the mice i used heat shrink tubing which worked great. Finally warm feet up here in Canadian winter.!

Reactions: macleanflood
Do you recall what size or source you used to replace the colored vacuum lines to the actuators? I had one of them break and need to pull a new one from the control panel. Thanks

Do you recall what size or source you used to replace the colored vacuum lines to the actuators? I had one of them break and need to pull a new one from the control panel. Thanks

Old post.
It might help if you reply to someone specifically so they get notified.