Moving across the USA

Rick Flair

Domari Nolo
Supporting Member
So my whole life I’ve kicked around pretty much the same state and jobs took me less than 200 miles to move. And since I’ve had kids, I have moved once in 13 years and it was 8 blocks away.

So I have questions for those who have moved long distances and the logistics of it all. I won’t have a job paying for it (my in-laws moved 5 years back and the company paid for it, $23k....yeah, I’m not rich).

So I need to move a family of five, some animals and if my truck sells two vehicles.

I figured on renting some trucks. Those will run about $3k each for rental and fuel, not including food and hotels.

My wife asked me about the PODS and I haven’t looked into those yet.

Hell if I could PODS and have them delivered to my home and either drive or ship my vehicles out for the same money, I’d do that and just fly in.

Give me some advice and insight on this. I have 3-4 months to get it figured out.

My wife and I moved from Ohio to CA. Corporate relocation so, movers. I couldn’t imagine doing it without movers. I had enough on my plate prior to the move, new job, just married, and not a clue what I was in for. The week of the move is insane. I’m sorry I don’t have anything constructive to add but, I Have to think movers in some capacity would help. Maybe just have them drive it across the country after you load the trailer?

Reactions: Rick Flair
When we moved from Oregon to Arizona I arranged shipping for both vehicles via UShip. I got a POD and filled it with everything we wanted to keep, then sold all of our big furniture with the intention of buying new stuff.

I coordinated everything to arrive a few days before we would arrive.

We then flew out of PDX, arrived at PHX, got a rental, and drove it to the new house where all our stuff was.

Worked out perfect, but believe me when I say it was a ton of logistics planning. I don’t think I want to do it again for a LONG time 😆

When we moved from Oregon to Arizona I arranged shipping for both vehicles via UShip. I got a POD and filled it with everything we wanted to keep, then sold all of our big furniture with the intention of buying new stuff.

I coordinated everything to arrive a few days before we would arrive.

We then flew out of PDX, arrived at PHX, got a rental, and drove it to the new house where all our stuff was.

Worked out perfect, but believe me when I say it was a ton of logistics planning. I don’t think I want to do it again for a LONG time 😆

I was counting on a smooth and positive idea of the PODS and shipping vehicles as I knew you did something like that. 😂

We are selling most of our furniture like you did and only moving some stuff that has meaning to us, my tools, some furniture her brother built for us and electronics. Going to property I’m going sell my lawn equipment and my off-road trailer and kayaks.

Chris you need another miscellaneous for sale forum. I have some cool non Jeep stuff that needs to go!!!!

Thanks so far. I don’t look forward to it but is my last move. Maybe the movers are where it’s at.

I was counting on a smooth and positive idea of the PODS and shipping vehicles as I knew you did something like that. 😂

We are selling most of our furniture like you did and only moving some stuff that has meaning to us, my tools, some furniture her brother built for us and electronics. Going to property I’m going sell my lawn equipment and my off-road trailer and kayaks.

Chris you need another miscellaneous for sale forum. I have some cool non Jeep stuff that needs to go!!!!

Thanks so far. I don’t look forward to it but is my last move. Maybe the movers are where it’s at.
Yep, I’ll add that forum tonight since I agree, it is needed.

We thought about getting a moving truck and driving, but with the kids, the long drive, the cars, etc, it just made more sense to do it this way and start over.

I will say that it went smoothly and made the move so much more hassle free.

Back in 1984 we lived in Nebraska and was hired by a Phoenix based company. They arranged everything. The movers packed everything (including waste baskets and ashtrays without emptying them
😞). When the truck arrived in Phoenix they unloaded and placed all furniture in appropriate rooms. Couldn’t have been easier. When I retired and we moved to Chino Valley we did all but the real heavy stuff. Wouldn’t want to do that again.

Something I’ve seen that has worked out decently is you purchase/lease/rent? so many linear feet of a semi truck. They park in in your yard and then a few days later come and get it and drop it off at your destination.

did you pick a new state yet?

I've done this twice; once from west to east and then from east to west. The first time was on the company nickel with a not-to-exceed reimbursement and the second time was on me. You WILL save money if you forego the moving company and do the job yourself. I looked into the PODS, and for me, it didn't pencil. YMMV. As you will soon see if you go the professional mover route (i.e. Mayflower or the like), it is a pretty shady business and you have to really make sure they estimate your weight correctly and that you have it in writing that your final cost is your final cost. In my case from west to east, the local Mayflower low-balled the estimated weight and they were well below the actual weight (tools are heavy, who knew? :ROFLMAO: ). The long and short of it is there was a brief pissing match between the trucker (his fees), me, and Mayflower. Fortunately, I had a guaranteed estimate and Mayflower had to eat it.

I'm guessing that you may be a more do-it-yourself guy who doesn't mind trading a little sweat to save some money $$$$. If so, compare pricing on the biggest truck available between Uhaul and Penske. Budget may rent them as well, but they were far more expensive so I ruled them out pretty quickly. I went with Penske because they were about $400 cheaper and their trucks were diesel, which I ASSumed would be better for towing and the hills ... Wrong! My Penske truck was a dog. It had cruise control ... keep the pedal to the floor and you'll hit the speed limiter (60 mph?) on the flats and 35 mph up the grade. The driver has an air-ride seat and the passenger seat sucks ass. The Uhaul, on the other hand, is essentially like driving a heavy duty truck with the box built on the back. The final straw for me was when I was limping up the grade at about 35 mph and I got the doors blown off by a gasser Uhaul that was towing a vehicle on a carrier (I wasn't). That said, I did get there. Price them out, take a look at the trucks and see what works for you.

Rent a trailer and haul one of your vehicles behind the truck. Have the wife and kid(s) follow you in your truck(?) and have them either tow the third vehicle on a trailer (if you have one to bring) or a Uhaul enclosed trailer if all your stuff doesn't fit in the main truck. The pet(s) can ride in the big truck or chase vehicle. Plan your motels in advance and you'll find plenty of pet friendly options. I only had one dog at the time and traveling with her was a non-issue.

Use the move as an opportunity to dump or sell all the things you don't think you'll need or want to keep. I sold a lot of things, tossed a bunch of things, and ended up leaving behind a lot of stuff which I thought I'd miss, which I didn't. I will confess to moving some boxes back which were never opened from the original move. Ooops!

Any vehicles which you can't transport yourself can be sent via carrier. I sent one open (the minivan) and one enclosed (classic vehicle). Everything I learned about shipping vehicles is to enter into a contract directly with the transport companies and NOT third-party sales companies. You can google on that, but I've read horror stories of additional charges after the fact and extra fees. The cheapest way to send a vehicle is open carrier and for you to drop off and pickup the vehicle from one of the company's hubs rather than door-to-door. For comparison, I paid about 2.5X the cost to have door-to-door enclosed transport thru Passport than the open-carrier thru DAS. FWIW, both made the trip without issue, though one was perfectly clean and got to share the ride with a Bugatti. :ROFLMAO: Plan on allowing up to three weeks for auto-transport if you want the cheapest price. It might sit in the yard until there is a spot on the truck which is passing through your destination.

Oh yeah, you can hire local crew on each end to load and unload your truck through Uhaul. I went this route rather than sourcing my own help since I figured there might be less chance for issue since they are backed by the large company. You can also choose how many hours you need them so there is no issue as to whether the job was estimated correctly. I was pleased with the crews that loaded and unloaded and even later directly hired the unloading crew a year later to move some heavy stuff for me. Even after tip, it was pretty reasonable and my back thanked me.

Lastly, I suggest creating a spreadsheet with all rentals, costs, dates, confirmation numbers, phone numbers, etc. so you have that all at your fingertips to verify prices, call if late or changes, and to see how much money. you saved when you are finished so you can remind yourself it was worth it while you are swearing you will never move again!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh yeah, I sent a bunch of the kids ahead via airline and travelled with the skeleton crew. Lastly, I'd recommend paying for the insurance which will allow you to walk away if you rack up the vehicle and even reimburse you for damaged goods if you so choose. Truthfully, I loved it and saw it as a great adventure. Good luck to you!!!

I've done this twice; once from west to east and then from east to west. The first time was on the company nickel with a not-to-exceed reimbursement and the second time was on me. You WILL save money if you forego the moving company and do the job yourself. I looked into the PODS, and for me, it didn't pencil. YMMV. As you will soon see if you go the professional mover route (i.e. Mayflower or the like), it is a pretty shady business and you have to really make sure they estimate your weight correctly and that you have it in writing that your final cost is your final cost. In my case from west to east, the local Mayflower low-balled the estimated weight and they were well below the actual weight (tools are heavy, who knew? :ROFLMAO: ). The long and short of it is there was a brief pissing match between the trucker (his fees), me, and Mayflower. Fortunately, I had a guaranteed estimate and Mayflower had to eat it.

I'm guessing that you may be a more do-it-yourself guy who doesn't mind trading a little sweat to save some money $$$$. If so, compare pricing on the biggest truck available between Uhaul and Penske. Budget may rent them as well, but they were far more expensive so I ruled them out pretty quickly. I went with Penske because they were about $400 cheaper and their trucks were diesel, which I ASSumed would be better for towing and the hills ... Wrong! My Penske truck was a dog. It had cruise control ... keep the pedal to the floor and you'll hit the speed limiter (60 mph?) on the flats and 35 mph up the grade. The driver has an air-ride seat and the passenger seat sucks ass. The Uhaul, on the other hand, is essentially like driving a heavy duty truck with the box built on the back. The final straw for me was when I was limping up the grade at about 35 mph and I got the doors blown off by a gasser Uhaul that was towing a vehicle on a carrier (I wasn't). That said, I did get there. Price them out, take a look at the trucks and see what works for you.

Rent a trailer and haul one of your vehicles behind the truck. Have the wife and kid(s) follow you in your truck(?) and have them either tow the third vehicle on a trailer (if you have one to bring) or a Uhaul enclosed trailer if all your stuff doesn't fit in the main truck. The pet(s) can ride in the big truck or chase vehicle. Plan your motels in advance and you'll find plenty of pet friendly options. I only had one dog at the time and traveling with her was a non-issue.

Use the move as an opportunity to dump or sell all the things you don't think you'll need or want to keep. I sold a lot of things, tossed a bunch of things, and ended up leaving behind a lot of stuff which I thought I'd miss, which I didn't. I will confess to moving some boxes back which were never opened from the original move. Ooops!

Any vehicles which you can't transport yourself can be sent via carrier. I sent one open (the minivan) and one enclosed (classic vehicle). Everything I learned about shipping vehicles is to enter into a contract directly with the transport companies and NOT third-party sales companies. You can google on that, but I've read horror stories of additional charges after the fact and extra fees. The cheapest way to send a vehicle is open carrier and for you to drop off and pickup the vehicle from one of the company's hubs rather than door-to-door. For comparison, I paid about 2.5X the cost to have door-to-door enclosed transport thru Passport than the open-carrier thru DAS. FWIW, both made the trip without issue, though one was perfectly clean and got to share the ride with a Bugatti. :ROFLMAO: Plan on allowing up to three weeks for auto-transport if you want the cheapest price. It might sit in the yard until there is a spot on the truck which is passing through your destination.

Oh yeah, you can hire local crew on each end to load and unload your truck through Uhaul. I went this route rather than sourcing my own help since I figured there might be less chance for issue since they are backed by the large company. You can also choose how many hours you need them so there is no issue as to whether the job was estimated correctly. I was pleased with the crews that loaded and unloaded and even later directly hired the unloading crew a year later to move some heavy stuff for me. Even after tip, it was pretty reasonable and my back thanked me.

Lastly, I suggest creating a spreadsheet with all rentals, costs, dates, confirmation numbers, phone numbers, etc. so you have that all at your fingertips to verify prices, call if late or changes, and to see how much money. you saved when you are finished so you can remind yourself it was worth it while you are swearing you will never move again!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Oh yeah, I sent a bunch of the kids ahead via airline and travelled with the skeleton crew. Lastly, I'd recommend paying for the insurance which will allow you to walk away if you rack up the vehicle and even reimburse you for damaged goods if you so choose. Truthfully, I loved it and saw it as a great adventure. Good luck to you!!!

Great advice! Thank you sir!

I only moved about 30 miles last time but I got a 40’ container from IIRC Dart. Loaded the container and they moved it to my new house for me to unload. Also had one truck since we had to move out and in in the same day.

I don’t know if Dart ships that far but it was fairly reasonable for my move.

Started purging stuff last Nov with the anticipation of selling our house and moving 1500 miles away. Really thought i was down to bare minimums with tools, toys, and necessities, Sold or gave away tons of stuff. After we moved out of the house we sold, i had (2) 10x36 storage units packed full and a 8x28 enclosed car hauler engorged with stuff going on the first trip out. After 5 trips out, im down to about 2/3rds of stuff in a 10x36 unit. Everything in that unit is being contemplated by levels of importance, some of it couldnt be moved until certain things were done at the new house. I only borrowed the 8x28 for the first trip, latter trips have been with my 6x12 enclosed or my open 18ft car trailer

Wife and i are self employed and plan on working til we have everything moved and sorted. Currently take a week or two off every month to haul another trailer load out. Winter will curb what i haul, rather be safe than sorry.

I only condone this method of moving because we are in no hurry. We dont have kids, we dont have jobs pending in the new area, we have time. I did have a few movers throw estimates at me, one 10x36 unit was about $9600 the other was around $7300. So far its cost me about $700-800 in expenses for a round trip, ive done 5, and thinking i have 2-3 more larger loads yet. Last 2 trips have been on the lighter side. This is the least overwhelming way to move. You only have a small amount of stuff to think about vs everything lumped into one pile on your doorstep. So far its been working

There is plenty of bad for this method as well, Stuff you just cant account for. Ordered a new sectional couch, was initially told 10-14 wks, they just added another 12-14 wks on to that (+6 months total) Sitting on lawn chairs in the new house is humbling !! New garage door was 10wks, couldnt bring all my garage items out til that was done. Wheel bearing shit out on my truck in Nebraska, gouged $2300 for repairs. Weather has been hit and miss lately, high winds mostly. You place the amount of risk onto yourself rather than just simply paying a mover or PODs

Im not rich, this is the best method that i could afford ($18K makes me shudder) So far its working

There is no right or wrong, do whats best for you, your family, and your wallet

• Wow
I did, we are moving to Missouri.
You pick a town already?
Missouri! Damn, that’s the last state you’ll ever have to worry about turning blue. Shit, hell would freeze over before Missouri turned blue 🤣
Don't be so sure, KC and STL are pretty blue and both large population centers.

Most people don’t seem to know that you can ship stuff using Fastenal for very cheap. Just pack it very well and they will ship your stuff to the closest store near you new location. You pick it up from there.

Congratulations on the move and the guts to do it. I've lived all over, and if I want to stay married we will move to Wyoming in about 5 years (wife has political road rage about living in Oregon now). I'd prefer western NC or eastern TN, but I'm too old to give up half my shit.

I've moved several times, but thank God the only thing I had to do was buy beer and pizza for the movers.

You pick a town already?

Don't be so sure, KC and STL are pretty blue and both large population centers.

We narrowed it down to a few, Buffalo, Lebanon and few others. Will fly out in April to look and hit you up.

As for it staying red, we hope it does for a while. With current events, we are honestly not sure the state of things. We are buying property and hoping to be left alone.

We narrowed it down to a few, Buffalo, Lebanon and few others. Will fly out in April to look and hit you up.

As for it staying red, we hope it does for a while. With current events, we are honestly not sure the state of things. We are buying property and hoping to be left alone.
Oh, you'll be fine down here away from the big metro's, I don't think the State will flip anytime soon. Will be interesting to hear your opinion on the area once you've had boots on the ground.

Reactions: mrjp and Rick Flair
Congrats on pulling the trigger @Rubi04. I move quite a bit but i always do so on my company's dime, so I don't have much to offer here except well wishes. Our move from FL to UT back in '16 was a cool $28k including vehicles, by the time everything was said & done with the expenses my company covers it was a shade over $50k which I'm told is about the cost of a standard CONUS move package 😳. I can't imagine doing it on my own with the little kids, pets, cars, etc., but I also can't think about writing that check on my own for a move.. Good luck to you!

The movers packed everything (including waste baskets and ashtrays without emptying them
Lol yeah they sure do that. when we were unpacking from our last move I unwrapped a box to find the contents of what was on the kitchen table at the moment of packing at our old house. A vase with some fake flowers, A napkin holder (with a single napkin), a dirty plate, a fork, and a placemat. Apparently one of my kids had just finished eating before the tornado of packers came through lol.