Moving Evap Canister

sunnysideup_lj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I cut my rear wheel wells to clear my tires. I was able to get enough clearance for the tires, but I am not happy with how the Evap Canister is right at the edge of the wheel well.

Anybody here moved the evap system? Even if its just back towards the back of the tub a few inches. I've done some searching around, But haven't found much info on this topic.

You can see the edge of the evap can and mounting bracket slightly on the rear edge of the wheel well.

Thanks

Wheel Well 2.jpg
Wheel Well.png

I saw a couple stretched TJ's where it was relocated to inside the tub. One was just above the fender well exposed, the other was behind the fender well with a sheet metal cover. Not much room under there as is, might be an option?

Reactions: sunnysideup_lj
I saw a couple stretched TJ's where it was relocated to inside the tub. One was just above the fender well exposed, the other was behind the fender well with a sheet metal cover. Not much room under there as is, might be an option?
I’ve seen a few moves into the tub... but I do value my tub space. I’m trimming up the mounting bracket now, I’ll see if I can drill new holes and slide it back about 1.5”. Being on an LJ I have a little more room to work with

Reactions: AMS417
Do you have emissions where you live? You could just remove it altogether. That's what I am doing with mine, but we also live in a county with no emissions testing, and mine is also mostly a trail rig only at this point anyways.

Reactions: sunnysideup_lj
There’s not much room between the back of the Evap Canister and the rear corner sheet metal. If you trim part of the bracket housing at the rear, you may get 1 1/4-1 1/2” would b Emmy guess. It will be close. Then you just have to find a way to secure it by tapping a couple of new bolts

Do you have emissions where you live? You could just remove it altogether. That's what I am doing with mine, but we also live in a county with no emissions testing, and mine is also mostly a trail rig only at this point anyways.

I don't think you can just remove it without throwing a code. And why would you even want to? It doesn't hurt anything; it only helps. Your Jeep is going to smell like an old gas station without it.

Why in the heck did Chrysler move the canister from under the hood to the rear of the vehicle anyway?

I don't think you can just remove it without throwing a code. And why would you even want to? It doesn't hurt anything; it only helps. Your Jeep is going to smell like an old gas station without it.

Why in the heck did Chrysler move the canister from under the hood to the rear of the vehicle anyway?

You're right, that's why I use HPTuners to get rid of the code.

I've only decided to remove mine because it's almost exclusively an off-road vehicle at this point. The less stuff I have to worry about messing with, the better. It will smell like an old gas station, but having come from my 69 Camaro SS, I grew used to that smell and oddly liked it.

As for why Chrysler moved the canister, that one I am not 100% sure of. Mine has the cruise control servo in place of where the evap canister goes on the earlier models, so it could be that, but I think there is more to it.

I’ve seen a few moves into the tub... but I do value my tub space. I’m trimming up the mounting bracket now, I’ll see if I can drill new holes and slide it back about 1.5”. Being on an LJ I have a little more room to work with
We slide them back to almost touching the rear wall where the tail light is. You have to drill a new hole for the emissions hose that shoots up vertical but not hard to do. For the ones where we run a lot more stretch, we flip it to the front side of the axle and build a mount for it to use that space right inside the rock rail.
DSC_5380.JPG
DSC_5378.JPG

You're right, that's why I use HPTuners to get rid of the code.

I've only decided to remove mine because it's almost exclusively an off-road vehicle at this point. The less stuff I have to worry about messing with, the better. It will smell like an old gas station, but having come from my 69 Camaro SS, I grew used to that smell and oddly liked it.

As for why Chrysler moved the canister, that one I am not 100% sure of. Mine has the cruise control servo in place of where the evap canister goes on the earlier models, so it could be that, but I think there is more to it.

The charcoal canister requires no maintenance, and it doesn't use any power to operate. Like a PCV system, it only helps.

If you do get rid of it, you are going to need a vented gas cap to evacuate the vapors from the gas tank.

The charcoal canister requires no maintenance, and it doesn't use any power to operate. Like a PCV system, it only helps.

If you do get rid of it, you are going to need a vented gas cap to evacuate the vapors from the gas tank.

Yep, I’m aware of the vent needed to evacuate vapors. I did a lot of digging into it just to see how others had done it.

We slide them back to almost touching the rear wall where the tail light is. You have to drill a new hole for the emissions hose that shoots up vertical but not hard to do. For the ones where we run a lot more stretch, we flip it to the front side of the axle and build a mount for it to use that space right inside the rock rail. View attachment 223505View attachment 223506
Thanks Blaine. This will get me headed in the right direction

I’m not sure how the charcoal canister works on later models, but on my 97 I just rearranged the way the inlet/outlet hoses ran so that the inlet line to the filter fed directly into the purge solenoid. This does create some pressure in the tank when I go to remove the gas cap so I’m thinking of a way to safely vent the fumes.

I did this due to my canister already having been “fixed” to the point that it was beyond actual repair and I didn’t want to deal with screwing up another $50 purge solenoid.

Edit to add:
I have yearly emissions where they plug into my obd2 port and read whatever data is stored on the computer. There is no probe in the tailpipe like the obd1 days, but it passed. YMMV

You said you are planning on removing it, just to get it out of the way or to not have to worry about one more thing?
Yes, because at this point my TJ is mostly just a trail rig anyways.

Moving the canister wasn't Mopars idea.
Our " highly knowledgeable" friends in Government at the EPA mandated the move.
Don't you realize that the old under hood setup has a hose that ran to the front of the Jeep
to the canister. What if that hose got a hole in it and " raw hydrocarbons" spilled out into
the atmosphere. Of coarse we MUST mandate a relocation close to the fuel tank !
Do it now, " For the children " ( and of course the polar bears).:rolleyes:
The truly sad thing is we pay these folks to solve " problems " of their own making.