Moving Light Mounts

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
This is an older picture, I've changed the bumper setup, but it works for illustration purposes. I have a pair of Hella fog lights that I'd like to move. Under the current configuration the lights are to far forward, resulting in me ripping two of them off from tree branches. Additionally, they partially obstruct the yellow running lights. Because of those issues, I'd like to move them in tighter to the grill.

To do so, I'm considering drilling a small hole in the grill slots and mounting them there. The only issue I see is restricting cooling airflow. However, I don't think this is going to be problem. The picture shows where I'm considering positioning them. Has anyone done something like this and am I missing something else if I proceed?

ma4UmuR.jpg

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
My bumper has tabs welded on the back of the winch guard hoop for this. You might consider that. I wouldn't attach them to the grill or have them that close. The winch normally doesn't block flow because it sits far enough ahead of the grill but screwing something into the grill doesn't really give you much breathing room.

Edit: I don't think the flow is a big deal but there are so many other options that don't involve screwing lights into the grill, that's all

Last edited:
IF those are a true fog light, whether white or yellow, they'll be mounted too high to do much good.
And only using one mounting point on thin sheetmetal will make them shake on every little bump.
Have you considered using a more compact fog light, one with a flat beam pattern?