Moving to 40s: Need advice on wheels and tires

Once you get to a 12.50 width on a light Jeep you're running in 4wd in snow and ice anyways so that whole good on snow and ice thing is sort of moot.

You can only go so fast safely in the slick stuff on road...you're in 4wd...get the baddest ass toughest tire you can get.
Go big or go home.

Super Swamper TSL/SX II

SX2-15

40x13.50x17

https://www.intercotire.com/tire/148

How are you preparing to brake with 40's? That should be a larger concern in my opinion than debating axle strengths that have already been debated.

thats like saying a dana 35 can handle 37s. Its not a matter of if its a matter of when
“If not when” I think that philosophy goes with anything non hardened? Poor driving, Is it locked? I’d go as far as saying you have little experience with both.

Keep an eye out on Ebay. I bought a set of Promcomp trilogy 75 beadlocks for $200 ea.

LOL again — yes, they're 37s, BFG Baja Champions, almost at the tail end of their lives with a solid 3/4 or so inch of tread worn down. Maybe with the high line fenders they look more like 35s. (shrug)

I do appreciate the concern over the axles. I understand y'all are just trying to look out for my best interests. That said, I had to laugh at the "do not run anything more than 35s with a Ford 8.8/Dana 44" comment. Hell, I wheeled on the stock axles with 35s! And I wheeled hard. Not sure where that comes from but gosh, that's way out of whack with reality.

For a lot of reasons I'd rather avoid a Dana 60. It's not off the table but I'd rather not deal with such a big diff hanging down. I think I can put together a JK axle (high pinion) with RCVs and another air locker and have everything I need. Not unwilling to discuss it, but quite a bit of thought has gone into this build to get to this point and I'm fairly convinced I've got a strong setup to wheel hard on 40s.

Wasn't intending to have to defend myself with my question, but we're talking Jeeps which is fun so it's all good.

Thanks again for the comments, I do appreciate it.

LOL again — yes, they're 37s, BFG Baja Champions, almost at the tail end of their lives with a solid 3/4 or so inch of tread worn down. Maybe with the high line fenders they look more like 35s. (shrug)

I do appreciate the concern over the axles. I understand y'all are just trying to look out for my best interests. That said, I had to laugh at the "do not run anything more than 35s with a Ford 8.8/Dana 44" comment. Hell, I wheeled on the stock axles with 35s! And I wheeled hard. Not sure where that comes from but gosh, that's way out of whack with reality.

For a lot of reasons I'd rather avoid a Dana 60. It's not off the table but I'd rather not deal with such a big diff hanging down. I think I can put together a JK axle (high pinion) with RCVs and another air locker and have everything I need. Not unwilling to discuss it, but quite a bit of thought has gone into this build to get to this point and I'm fairly convinced I've got a strong setup to wheel hard on 40s.

Wasn't intending to have to defend myself with my question, but we're talking Jeeps which is fun so it's all good.

The big issue is how various folks define hard. Your currently described set up will not be wheeled hard in my part of the world for a few reasons. First is wheelbase. Without at least 108", you may as well stay on 37's because the 40's will handicap the rig's performance and the 8.8 won't let us get the 40's installed without at least 2" wheel spacers on a 4" backspaced rim. Only then if you have the Super 88 installed which I am unsure of since I didn't see you mention that you have it. If you don't, the stock axles won't last more than a couple of runs before torque twists them and makes the flanges wobble.

We also can't get by with less than a 66" wide WMS to WMS front axle due to the tires hitting the frame and other bits if you plan on turning all the way.

That's our reality, yours may vary a bit. Oh, I wouldn't build a free JK front for what you want to do.

Reactions: D M and TimboSlice

Your type of wheeling back east isn't the same as out here in the western 11 states.
Or at least as I remember it. Most are gunna tell you 40's are too much tire BUT if they aren't where you are at then they don't know the type of wheeling you do or what works.

But as Blaine said I don't think a JK44 is gunna do it for you. Either look at custom built one or seriously think about a Dana 60 front axle. But I get not wanting that diff hanging down so low. Again you are there and if others you run with are running that drivetrain then GO FOR IT.

There are plenty of 8.8s in TJs. I would also say the 8.8 is not the ultimate solution either, but it can be a more comfortable rear axle swap over the dana 35. Especially if you have the skill set to set the axle up yourself to save some money for other upgrades. The super 88 kit is what will separate your 8.8 from most of the 8.8s in the sport. Its is one of the best designed drivetrain upgrades ive seen yet in its category.

Sure, the front axle is a decision in process so I appreciate the insight there.

I'm pretty comfortable with the 8.8 in the back. It's a 35 spline axle. As for the front, a Dana 60 isn't out of the question but I'm trying to avoid it.

The shop I work with does a lot of custom fab and runs everything from buggies to Jeeps in competition. I don't wheel the way they do (they hit it much harder than me) but I'm leaning on their recommendations and experience to some degree. I was warned in advance that if I asked for advice on social media everyone under the sun would insist that anything less than the Dana 60 would detonate. They were right on that prediction (lol!) However they prefer a built up JK Rubicon Dana 44 axle housing with RCVs and have run that with 40s successfully and enjoyed the clearance advantage. Money isn't holding me back from a Dana 60, it's the pumpkin clearance. Why go all the way to 40s to have this huge diff hanging down... etc. But again, the final decision has yet to be made and I am considering what is being said here.

I do wheel in the NE and the likelihood of this Jeep ever making it out west is pretty slim. I do agree that this might be a different calculus if I was wheeling out there.

Not to be a heretic but I'm hoping to get the Bronco out there, actually... (hides)

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
Why go all the way to 40s to have this huge diff hanging down... etc.
Dynatrac’s Pro Rock 60 has more ground clearance than a Dana/Spicer 44. A spidertrax 10 inch ring gear axle has even more clearance than that.
However they prefer a built up JK Rubicon Dana 44 axle housing with RCVs and have run that with 40s successfully and enjoyed the clearance advantage
Maybe they are unaware of what possible solutions are out there on the West Coast that offer added benefits for them and their rigs.

Sure, the front axle is a decision in process so I appreciate the insight there.

I'm pretty comfortable with the 8.8 in the back. It's a 35 spline axle. As for the front, a Dana 60 isn't out of the question but I'm trying to avoid it.

The shop I work with does a lot of custom fab and runs everything from buggies to Jeeps in competition. I don't wheel the way they do (they hit it much harder than me) but I'm leaning on their recommendations and experience to some degree. I was warned in advance that if I asked for advice on social media everyone under the sun would insist that anything less than the Dana 60 would detonate. They were right on that prediction (lol!) However they prefer a built up JK Rubicon Dana 44 axle housing with RCVs and have run that with 40s successfully and enjoyed the clearance advantage. Money isn't holding me back from a Dana 60, it's the pumpkin clearance. Why go all the way to 40s to have this huge diff hanging down... etc. But again, the final decision has yet to be made and I am considering what is being said here.

I do wheel in the NE and the likelihood of this Jeep ever making it out west is pretty slim. I do agree that this might be a different calculus if I was wheeling out there.

Not to be a heretic but I'm hoping to get the Bronco out there, actually... (hides)

Well if you read enough thru different discussions the reason most do not like the JK44 is that it's barley any better than a TJ 44.
If you want the clearance of a Dana 44 the get a RockJock44 or ProRock44 . Or do like I did and a old Ford HP44. They have larger axle tubes and stronger ball joints. So no we all aren't telling you to run a Dana 60 but we are saying don't go with a JK 44.

If I was building a front axle again I'd use a HP44 center section with Jantz J54 kit & have Dana 60 inner "C"s put on it and run Dana 60 outers with a 35 spline ARB & D50 ring & pinion gear.