MPG ~ Arithmetic vs Jeep

Shatto

TJ Enthusiast
***** Miles Per Gallon ~ Arithmetic vs Jeep *****
I haven't completely figured out the MPG setting on my Jeep; I suspect it has both instant MPG and average MPG, which would be perfect.
But, while the readout is interesting and often amusing, the old fashioned longhand method is accurate, especially over many recipients.

upload_2018-8-4_12-26-56.png 20180802_082812 (1).jpg

20180803_102212.jpg

Wait... is that a JK?

My Subaru Outback has all these bells and whistles, though it seems pretty accurate in terms of MPG.

Reactions: Shatto
***** Miles Per Gallon ~ Arithmetic vs Jeep *****
I haven't completely figured out the MPG setting on my Jeep; I suspect it has both instant MPG and average MPG, which would be perfect.
But, while the readout is interesting and often amusing, the old fashioned longhand method is accurate, especially over many recipients.

View attachment 50031 View attachment 50033
Ok that is a little off.

To me it looks like they wanted to slip one past the unsuspecting owners who don’t do their own math because the computer must know what it’s doing. lol....there’s no telling how many people out there think their Jeep gets 23mpg. I can just hear the conversations right now......”no, it actually gets a lot better than you’d think! I average 23mpg....see it says it right there on the dash” LMAO

To me it looks like they wanted to slip one past the unsuspecting owners who don’t do their own math because the computer must know what it’s doing. lol....there’s no telling how many people out there think their Jeep gets 23mpg. I can just hear the conversations right now......”no, it actually gets a lot better than you’d think! I average 23mpg....see it says it right there on the dash” LMAO
The reason for my comment about not understanding how the Jeep works is because I owned a Cadillac and it could show 'instant' and 'average' MPG, my wife got 90 MPG once on a long downgrade on 101 north of Eureka, anyway, I never reset the 'average' setting and it showed the cumulative MPG through all the fill-ups. All that was confirmed by calculating a year's receipts.
Since the Jeep book doesn't have an answer, I'll ask the Jeep people.

The reason for my comment about not understanding how the Jeep works is because I owned a Cadillac and it could show 'instant' and 'average' MPG, my wife got 90 MPG once on a long downgrade on 101 north of Eureka, anyway, I never reset the 'average' setting and it showed the cumulative MPG through all the fill-ups. All that was confirmed by calculating a year's receipts.
Since the Jeep book doesn't have an answer, I'll ask the Jeep people.

It says average right there on the gauge...my experience with other vehicles is that you can rest the average but if you never reset it, it would be a total average from the start. In my Ford truck, I reset it once and it floated around a little then by about 300 - 400 miles and it was right back where it was before I reset it.

It says average right there on the gauge...my experience with other vehicles is that you can rest the average but if you never reset it, it would be a total average from the start. In my Ford truck, I reset it once and it floated around a little then by about 300 - 400 miles and it was right back where it was before I reset it.

chatAgent.png
Amber: Hi, my name is Amber with Chrysler Customer Care, How may I help you today?
chatAgent.png
Amber: Hello Michael, how are you today?
chatEndUserMessage.png
Michael Shatto: Amber! My question is about the MPG readout of my Jeep
chatAgent.png
Amber: What was it you were wondering?
chatEndUserMessage.png
Michael Shatto: My Cadillac had two settings; 'Instant MPG' and 'Average MPG' and I wonder if my Jeep has that feature?
chatAgent.png
Amber: I would be happy to check for you, Michael! Was this for you 2012 Wrangler?
chatEndUserMessage.png
Michael Shatto: It is.
chatAgent.png
Amber: Thank you, just one moment
chatEndUserMessage.png
Michael Shatto: I never reset the 'Average MPG' on the caddy and it gave a very accurate MPG readout over time, as verified by doing arithmetic with all the gas receipts.
chatAgent.png
Amber: I'm glad to hear you find it to be accurate, the longer you go without resetting it the more accurate it will be!
I do not see that you would have the option of Instant MPG, I am only seeing the Average Fuel Economy as an option
chatEndUserMessage.png
Michael Shatto: So, it will continue calculating average MPG over filling the tank .... forever?
chatAgent.png
Amber: Well the averaging will restart when enough new distance and fuel data is accumulated. But yes it will continue to calculate the average MPG, if you do reset it though it will not be as accurate in the beginning.
chatEndUserMessage.png
Michael Shatto: Yay! The average is important, not being able to take a picture of it showing 26 Mpg. .... Thank you Miss Amber.
chatAgent.png
Amber: You're very welcome, Michael! Have a wonderful rest of your day!
chatAgent.png
Amber: Thank you for contacting Chrysler Customer Care. Please chat with us again if you need further assistance or Chrysler Customer Care at 1-800-247-9753. You can also look for updates on our website www.chrysler.com. Have a great day!
chatAlert.png
Amber has disconnected.

I use “instant” all the time on my VW when on a long trip. Helps to modulate the pedal to keep it in the sweet spot. That said, I would never trust the “average since fuel fill-up” or “historical average” over calculating by hand on any vehicle. It’s just plain wrong on many vehicles and is still off a bit on the most of the sophisticated ones. On a Jeep it should just say “Forget about it!” LOL. On a more serious note, calculating the fuel economy by hand, or even watching for variations on the computer, is a great way to gauge if a vehicle is performing as it should. Compare to others using Fuelly, even if you don’t have an account.

Last edited:
Hahaha, that’s great stuff. :)

I mean, it’s only like 50% or so off....not that bad. Lmao

Look, if they put the real numbers there people would freak out lol....they would be like....it’s a v6 why does a Ford F-350 crew cab, extended bed, towing package, 4x4 get better gas mileage??? :)

Maybe it doesn’t actually stand for Miles Per Gallon.....that’s their trick....let’s see, what else could it stand for???

oh I know! It’s probably Minutes Per Gallon and you have to keep up with your average speed and work the math backwards to find the miles per gallon....that’s how they hide it from you!