Mud dauber's 2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Mud dauber

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
On Sept 27, 2017 I took a ride in a friends Jeep and I decided I wanted one. I started looking. In February 2018 I was introduced to this by my friend. She was a project that a known local Jeep guy was working on. It was interesting to me because I liked the idea of a LJ and it was going to be cheaper because of the salvage title it would have. I told him I was interested. I saw some of his other refurbished vehicle and his reputation was good, so I waited for him to complete the project.

07B7+8S3REyS4g422x1qdQ.jpg

5y13m2gkQ7yaA9S+cwmJVw.jpg

bMs0AO3LTvW7sRz5lOhzUA.jpg

5b+Ks8D6S2iY%UJil2Z+JA.jpg

Reactions: Chris
June 18, 2018 I got her. I changed her oil spark plugs and air filter right off the bat. I balanced the tires, which she needed. I wanted to ride open air as much as possible so I wove some paracord together and enclosed the entire rear cargo area. It looks good to me and it keeps stuff from flying out. I also tinted the glass. I drove her around like this all last summer getting to know her.

IaoI7DZrQdaqC2oCcN8CGw.jpg

PDoepqdRR4m4qfk8OWrXyg.jpg

I took care of some items, like rekeying the rear lock to fit the door locks, zero cost out of pocket. I did that myself with help from Youtube. The locksmith wanted $100.00 to rekey the lock. I downloaded the build info for my vehicle and I realized that I could easily upgrade my rear view mirror to what was OE for this vehicle. I upgraded to the Dodge 170 AMP alternator in prep for a winch. I upgraded to the ZJ tie rod, which I recommend. I added dual purpose USB charging port which tells you your battery condition or if you have the phone plugged in it will tell you how much charge it is taking. I am using a Popsocket to mount my phone up above the rear view mirror for navigation. I added some LED light pods and yellow bulbs in the fog lamps, as. It all is working great.

56528026085__750BAA5C-408C-4E95-B2E4-E7440964F0B2.JPG

04H8Rag2Qi2qXnSEvMlvmQ.jpg

ytLKfr+7QFikkdwoYAkE4w.jpg

ckZPvHN+QzKqaAPBcQhCgg.jpg

56832458323__69D9A9E1-3472-45AB-A7C3-7E8CC5790859.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: bcon2010
I really had to address the elephant in the room! The rims and tires on the vehicle were limiting me to no end. I kept looking until the same friend who introduced me to my Jeep found a set of 2018 Jeep Rubicon tires and rims. I had looked all over for rims I liked in the aftermarket. I did not like any as well as these. Well I had to dress the next elephant in the room that walked in, suspension. I got a 2" Rock Krawler Stock Mod kit. I am limited to 2" lift by my low garage door. Now she looks like this and does this.

I have also made a receiver hitch cover that I can use at the range to rest my rifle to cool off the barrel. Summer trim. In the winter or off road I change over to the recover mode.

7yv0LZRUTXuw6sHcgUPMew.jpg

56832476197__AA41F300-647F-4D4B-B91C-DE772C49678A.JPG

KjQ+D0t2QX6f7%yzHpRoVg.jpg

4ZO5rmx0RM6JZCjcZFnaOA.jpg

fullsizeoutput_5ac6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_5ac7.jpeg

I have my recovery kit so we are pretty much set to go take a look at some local backroads. Not looking for too much trouble. My friends and I will head out soon to explore .

Last edited:
Like your receiver hitch "cover" idea! Love that LJ too. I gave up looking for one in silver when I found my TJ with 52k miles on it last year. Too nice to pass up.
ZqtTJUzQSdqrZ2j+z+q%gw.jpg

Reactions: Mud dauber
OK guys it update time. I have been very busy dodging Covid for the past year. And doing quite well at that!
I hope everyone is well and safe!

My Jeep has been running fine. A little snag with the radio install in the Jeep. I read that to go on Jeep Jamboree you need a radio. I decided to put a 2 Meter ham walkie talkie radio in my Jeep. Hams call them HTs. I got my FCC license and decided one radio was not enough. I got a Stryker CB and 10 Meter radio in there as well. Then I got the radio bug and I have two base stations, one of which I can run portable in the Jeep which allows me to talk all over the country and sometimes the world. I went way overboard into ham radio.

F5A0C7F8-DBEA-4075-B04C-614F7A2E4D4C.jpeg

FD33F24A-75E0-435D-AA32-A8F993F2297C.jpeg

After the radio detour in 2019. We hit Covid and not much happen. Except a 22 state RV trip where we decided to take a scooter along for transportation. Boo!! But I set the stage for another RV trip with the Jeep.

Fast forward Spring 2021. We got some dirt under the wheels. And got the green light to move forward with getting the Jeep ready for her maiden voyage out west. Since I could not swing the TJ Fest and the wife is still working remotely it’s going to be a three month trip to Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. Two months in south central Colorado and Utah and a month hitting in Wyoming and Montana. Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Rocky Mt National Parks. TJ Fest was just not going to be enough time for me! Ha.

51E50B28-D62F-4427-8D7F-750B0256F694.jpeg

Reactions: Ardenlonewolf
Hello There,

How do you say Macho in Chinese!

I have been running around for 3 1/2 years without a winch and frankly not needing one because I rarely get the time to use one. That’s about to change!

I installed a Harbor Freight Apex winch on a Smittybuilt bumper. Fear No Evil!

The wife and I are heading out to Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Montana. We are going to flat tow this Jeep and while there basically turn the Rockies mountains into a pile of dust. So we can say been there done that! 🤣 That’s what brain says; reality is we will manage to get around fine off road.

We are stationed in Crested Butte for two months. There I plan to tackle routes near Ouray and Telluride. Hopefully a trip to Moab if it is not too hot. I’ll have to watch the weather.

Around September 1st we start to make our way north to into Utah and onto West Yellowstone. Then onto Glacier. Then back down the east side to Cody, Wyoming. The Tetons are on the list then onto Rocky Mt NP. Then make it to the Alabama Old Miss game to Tuscaloosa as a finale. That should be enough I think.

86C0D4E1-EEF4-4FB9-8E88-DB46FF42035D.jpeg

907219AA-2020-4DB3-8423-0E962A4E926D.jpeg

Reactions: chimmike
Flat towing an LJ is heck of alot easier than a TJ at interstate speeds, it'll will track nice and straight behind you instead of swaying around like my old 98 sahara. Sounds like an awesome trip!!!!

Reactions: Mud dauber
Flat towing an LJ is heck of alot easier than a TJ at interstate speeds, it'll will track nice and straight behind you instead of swaying around like my old 98 sahara. Sounds like an awesome trip!!!!
Let me ask this, I am actually starting to load and pack items in the Jeep such as my compound bow fishing gear, recovery gear and whatever else the wife does not have room for.

Should I keep weight forward, aft or a balance between the two axels for flat towing? Or very little weight in the Jeep? Thanks in advance.

Keep the jeep light. We flat towed 2500 miles for TJ Fest, and even in light form the wind kept waggying the TJ. You might have better luck with the longer wheel base.

Let me ask this, I am actually starting to load and pack items in the Jeep such as my compound bow fishing gear, recovery gear and whatever else the wife does not have room for.

Should I keep weight forward, aft or a balance between the two axels for flat towing? Or very little weight in the Jeep? Thanks in advance.
I've got about 5000 miles flat towing my LJ behind a 30' Class A MH. I usually have some tools and recovery gear along with a 60# BBQ loaded in the back of the Jeep. Not a bunch of stuff, but I haven't noticed any tail wagging or any other issues.

Make sure your caster angle is good. Buddy of mine had an issue with that on a CJ he was trying to set-up to be a tow'd. Not enough caster and the jeep wanted to sway badly. His experience has me SERIOUSLY considering locking hubs on my jeep so I can keep enough caster in it to prevent sway

I think thats totally fine, I've flat towed my LJ with 2 honda mini trail CT70s in the back of it, bunch of tools and recovery gear on the interstate and dirt roads. As long as the your tow vehicle weighs more than the jeep and has decent brakes. I tow mine with my Dodge Power Wagon.