Mudding pic thread

Too much cleaning up afterwards? If so, I can relate to that 100%.

Honestly, for me the clean up was never that bad. I would throw a sprinkler under the Jeep for a half an hour and that got rid of the big stuff, then a pressure washer to finish. It's what the mud and sand and crap does to u-joints, bearings, and other rotating parts over the long term, not to mention the worry of water in the transmission and differentials.

A lot of people with the 32rh don't realize how low the vent is (inside the bell housing, behind the torque converter, just above the pump housing). When I had my transmission rebuilt (unrelated to water or mud, thankfully) I had the vent relocated, just in case. It's nearly impossible to avoid water and mud completely here in Florida, but I sure do my best and try to take every precaution.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
Honestly, for me the clean up was never that bad. I would throw a sprinkler under the Jeep for a half an hour and that got rid of the big stuff, then a pressure washer to finish. It's what the mud and sand and crap does to u-joints, bearings, and other rotating parts over the long term, not to mention the worry of water in the transmission and differentials.

A lot of people with the 32rh don't realize how low the vent is (inside the bell housing, behind the torque converter, just above the pump housing). When I had my transmission rebuilt (unrelated to water or mud, thankfully) I had the vent relocated, just in case. It's nearly impossible to avoid water and mud completely here in Florida, but I sure do my best and try to take every precaution.

Good point, that's something I didn't even think of. With the kids, I don't have as much time to go mudding as much as I probably would otherwise. But you're right, all that stuff that gets up in the driveline really can do a number on stuff.

The transmission is another thing people don't think about. That's why I always laugh when people want to put a snorkel on their TJ and go fording through rivers. There's another forum member on here (I want to say that it's @JeepNWilly) who can speak to the damage that is done from driving your TJ through large bodies of standing water. That water gets in there and slowly destroys your transmission.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
Does this count? I used to build and race off road cars in the '70s. The average guy didn't have a pressure washer back then. I spent a fortune in quarters at the car wash at the end of race day.
upload_2017-8-12_23-43-4.png

The transmission is another thing people don't think about. That's why I always laugh when people want to put a snorkel on their TJ and go fording through rivers. There's another forum member on here (I want to say that it's @JeepNWilly) who can speak to the damage that is done from driving your TJ through large bodies of standing water. That water gets in there and slowly destroys your transmission.

Ah yes water and mud specially the sandy sandpaper like mud we have here in South Florida. Basically I call it cancer because it will eventually down the road when you least expect it it will show up. Breather lines are very important for anyone who plans on wheeling through deep water/mud basically anything higher than the center of your wheels. Going through a short pass is not as bad as fording through miles of deep water.

As @Serbonze said u-joints, bearings, and other rotating parts plus add Starters as I have gone through more of them than I want to remember lol. Water in the manual Transmission (NSG370) since it has a breather cap instead of a hose. I have never had issue with Axles or any issues with electrical connectors. I have also never added a snorkel because I am sure If i had one I would have sunk my Jeep lol. Deepest water it has been in was about the bottom edge of the headlights with a 4" lift.

My old 1961 CJ 5

My TJ

Video of a friend in a lifted Explorer and I was taking pic in the foreground.

Love the sunblock or is it rust proofing...lol

This is what we call 'murdered out' in a Jeep....Well done for getting down n dirty.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: sweld
Did this a month after I got my tj. Broke a shock and I'd bottom out everytime I hit a pot hole and my radiator blew on my way to school about a week later (had no top or doors on if 50 degrees) my schools auto shop had it fixed with a new radiator by lunch time. I had so much fun but just can't bring myself to go back to the red mud pit. I still have my milk jugs full of clay laying in my garage.

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG