1. Want to have your TJ featured as the August 2018 "Ride of the Month"? The winner will receive a $200 gift card from Metalcloak! Click here to submit a photo of your TJ. Submissions are accepted until July 20th!
    Dismiss Notice

My 04 Rubicon build

Discussion in 'TJ Build Threads' started by Ranger_b0b, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy
    Supporting Member Ride of the Month Winner

Any response from JCR? I’m wondering what kind of specs those clips would need to hold the slider on the backplate under force.

2. Ranger_b0b

Ranger_b0b Rust Belt Heavyweight
    Supporting Member

what force are you thinking about?

3. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy

You know, "The Force." Midichlorians and all that!

I guess I'm wondering if I hit the slider on the outer edge from underneath, an upward force on the angled portion, what it might do to the four clips with stainless 5/16' bolts. Is it going to push the slider up and toward the tub? Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

4. Ranger_b0b

Supporting Member

You were replying while I was drawing this.

kT2cRusj5CPKZXy-r0FUKGlgTKoeUcSR5D14Wp-MBSZ-Vciam8ZO3RHXG0gNgb_tkAcw4WTMaoRVWOPRu6a=w996-h918-no.jpg

They should stay pretty well captured. The slider won't be able to move in, as its reinforced against the tub and bracket under the seat. It can't move up, because the torque box prevents that movement (unless the torque box collapses). The down force is pretty minimal...just you stepping on it or you have bigger problems (think rollover) . I think the clips would be fine, but I don't like them. That is why I installed the rivnuts. I'm just now thinking I told you the rivnut idea didn't work...and maybe you're confused. Let me try to explain...

The rivnuts on the backing plates...The ones that hold the slider where your foot would go, those worked great. The rivnuts I planned on installing into the torque boxes...Not so well...not that the concept is bad, but its VERY difficult to install 3/8" Rivnuts square, working on your back, without the proper tools. That is what I struggled with. Tried to use my impact, but over compressed them...used a ratchet and didn't compress them enough. I have one spinning on me now.

Also, When I installed the backing plate, I pushed it too high on the tub by about an 1/8". I'll need to slot my tub holes to get it lined up.

5. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy

This post is priceless. I was confused. I thought you were saying the rivnuts in place of the clips didn't work. I may have been confused on what you were originally trying to do with the rivnuts, though I do remember you saying you were going to use them under the tub since you didn't like the idea of bolts sticking up into the footwells, so maybe I was following, but I think I thought the problem with the rivnuts was where the slider connected to the backing plate. I think I follow now and see where you had trouble; under the tub installing rivnuts.

So, just for clarity, you suggest the following

1) use the supplied hardware to mount under the tub,
    2) use rivnuts for the four locations the slider mounts to the backing plate
    3) use bolts for the side of the backplate to the tub

Do I understand your process? Thanks for the drawing. I can really see how this would protect the tub.

6. Ranger_b0b

Supporting Member

You got it. I did just get off the phone with JCR. I'm not super impressed...They said the sheetmetal will give, but it will eventually stop (which I found). Then they said tight, plus a quarter turn. My engineering brain is jumping up and down saying NO, NO, NO, NO! Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to talk with the designer...only the Tech support guy that answered the phone. When you install yours, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

JMT likes this.
  7. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy

Did you have to drill out the slider mount on the backplate since you went with 3/8” rivnuts? I was just going to use 5/16”, so I can use the supplied hardware. I think the pilot hole is 1/2” for a 5/16.

8. Ranger_b0b

Supporting Member

Yeah I drilled it out to 17/32. It depends on the rivnut. The ones that are included with the sliders are 5/16 and they use a 17/32 drill too. so...measure the rivnuts you get.

JMT likes this.
  9. Ranger_b0b

Supporting Member

Finally got the ol' girl a winch! Yeah, its not a Warn...is a Gen 2 Smittybilt X2O. Seems pretty nice so far. Synthetic Rope, Runs pretty fast, seems a lot smoother operating than the other Chinese Winches my Buddies run. Fit and Finish are pretty good too. The wires are nice and flexible (which means they used a High strand count wire ->higher quality), Overall, I'm Happy with my purchase

Only had one installation issue...My discount Chinese Bumper did not have a big enough opening for the fairlead.
    n4sIRyNb5MEqkKF9apPZueoyfYwLjlAnfn59PJ_oGN1_o0gz9_SLwTuWYkxMHOOgamh3ambraM3aKN6aAq=w1129-h635-no.jpg

Since its a synthetic rope, I didn't want that edge there. I was afraid of abrasion. Out comes my trusty die grinder with a carbide burr and opened the hole up. Had to do both sides. Other than that, it was smooth sailing.
    8gO3i6cxk8fmn_VXxkHowT7u5iFMkrWi2g3HdoO-qY9NBHoL3j4VVfxGehiaA3YWw8wZ4UW88c_xeNJcPH=w1129-h635-no.jpg

My yard isn't big enough to unspool the whole rope and pull it in under a load to stretch it, so I need to do that still. I also want to get some loom for the wires to the battery.

10. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy

Coming along very nice; rust at bay, sliders and now winch. Looking great!

Ranger_b0b likes this.
  11. Ranger_b0b

Supporting Member

Ssshhhhhh...Don't wake up the rust monster...

Squatch, IPerkWVU and JMT like this.
  12. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy

P.s. when I first got my bumper like that I ran it with the hook and one D-ring. It rubbed under the top edge of the bumper. Just letting you know. I’m sure the best solution is a thimble.

13. Ranger_b0b

Supporting Member

Yeah, I would like a thimble, but gonna wait a bit. I could probably just run the hook to the fairlead, the way its assembled, the hook isn't going to pull through.

14. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy

That was my final configuration. I don’t like it against my aluminum fairlead, but it’s the best I could come up with. In TX we have to boast a front license plate, so I have a Tuffy that closes over the fairlead and hook. It swings up out of the way if AND when I need the winch (to pull someone else out, of course). :D

#294 JMT, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Squatch likes this.
  15. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

I've been running the same winch for a while now. I almost bought the Warn like I had on my last TJ. However, I know so many people around here who wheel the piss out of their rigs. All of them are using this same Smittybilt winch, and some of them have had it for years, using it almost daily, without any failures whatsoever.

Inspired by that, I decided to buy one for myself (especially since you can't argue with the price). I figure I won't even use it half as much as these guys do (nor in the same extremes as they do), so I can't go wrong.

It seems like a great winch for the money.

16. Ranger_b0b

Supporting Member

Well...I am looking at tires and wheels. The jk setup just isnt doing it for me after my lift. I have my guy quoting a set of American racing ansens, in 15" diameter, with some General Grabbers. Not sure if I'm going 10.5 or 12.5 yet. I'll probably do 12.5, just because it looks so damn good. Functionally, I know the 10.5's will be better.

Here is the wheel I'm looking at. 15 x 8 with 3.75" backspacing. Should look pretty sharp.

Screenshot_20180711-202517_Chrome.jpg

Kathy, JMT and Squatch like this.
  17. Squatch

Squatch Still plays with cars...
    Supporting Member

Silly man. Don't you know?

Rust Never Sleeps......:eek:

Ranger_b0b likes this.
  18. Squatch

Squatch Still plays with cars...
    Supporting Member

Check out Tirecrawler.com and see what they have for prices. While I always buy Toyo tires, and Toyos have free shipping, I would be curious to know what kind of price difference you encounter when shipping is factored in. If your guy can match this place, I'd be impressed. :)

Specs
    Part #: 04506840000
    Tire Size: 33X10.50R15LT
    Service Description: 114Q
    UTQG: N/A
    Mileage Warranty: N/A
    Load Range: C (6 Ply)
    Side Wall: SRL

$182.59 each general-tire-grabber-x3.jpg

Quantity:
    Set of 4
    $730.36
    Estimate Shipping

Starrs and Ranger_b0b like this.
  19. TJ2

TJ2 TJ Addict

Squatch you need a timeout. No wrenching for a week.

Squatch likes this.
  20. JMT

JMT The Jeep Guy

Very nice wheel choice. 12.5” really does look so good. There’s a point in a build where there’s more Jeep than tire and then a point when there’s more tire than Jeep. It’s right at the point where there’s more tire that I go, “Ahhh.”

I like that the edge of the wheel is black rather than machined because if you do happen to grab a rim, it’s easier to touch up black than it is a machined surface. Good call. That will really change the look of your Jeep! I really already like it as is. Just saying!

Ranger_b0b likes this.