My 16 year old did a thing

Stevemack

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Saved up his tip money from bussing tables and bought himself a ZJ....1995 Jeep GC, 4.0 L 6cyl, Auto...175k...bunch of new mechanicals...super clean inside and out...It will serve as his school runner...couple of miles a day...hoping he gets a year, year and a half or so out of it at least....$1200

He wanted a TJ, but he’s the first out of his friends to get his license and wanted something he could fit his boys in for rides to school....

C9916E43-2ADB-44F8-B525-33682520FB62.jpeg

62F8CC94-9C58-4AF3-95E2-20834B0ABD5F.jpeg

Not bad at all for a first Jeep!

Wonder what his insurance is? I know it ain't cheap for young boys.

Reactions: Stevemack
Very nice, what size are the tires and lift height?
My son has a 96. He got it when he was 16 and is still going strong 5 years later. It took him through high school and now through college. Great car for him. Good luck.

WP_20160821_16_06_58_Pro.jpg

Not bad at all for a first Jeep!

Wonder what his insurance is? I know it ain't cheap for young boys.

We are torn between teaching him a life lesson by making him get his own insurance, which would probably run way more then it's worth or just adding it under our policy. Which we did with our first son and that was no picnic either with coverage either...

Reactions: Chris
Very nice, what size are the tires and lift height?
My son has a 96. He got it when he was 16 and is still going strong 5 years later. It took him through high school and now through college. Great car for him. Good luck.

View attachment 72459
That's a real nice looking ZJ...I'm glad to hear it's still going after all this that time. Prior owner said it was about 3" spring lift, with longer control arms. I haven't crawled under it yet other then to make sure nothing was going to fall off during the pre-sale inspection. Weather has been too cold to lay on my back in the driveway and get a real good look and see what we have. The tires are 33x10.5 BFG's on spacers. Which I'm not a huge fan of.

I'll be dragging it over to my buddies shop next week, to throw it on the lift and check things out, maybe take the spacers off, who knows. We've got some time to thoroughly inspect everything before he takes his road test.

Reactions: DuncLJ
We are torn between teaching him a life lesson by making him get his own insurance, which would probably run way more then it's worth or just adding it under our policy. Which we did with our first son and that was no picnic either with coverage either...

Yep, I know it ain't cheap for young kids, that's for sure!

That's a real nice looking ZJ...I'm glad to hear it's still going after all this that time. Prior owner said it was about 3" spring lift, with longer control arms. I haven't crawled under it yet other then to make sure nothing was going to fall off during the pre-sale inspection. Weather has been too cold to lay on my back in the driveway and get a real good look and see what we have. The tires are 33x10.5 BFG's on spacers. Which I'm not a huge fan of.

I'll be dragging it over to my buddies shop next week, to throw it on the lift and check things out, maybe take the spacers off, who knows. We've got some time to thoroughly inspect everything before he takes his road test.

Thanks for the reply. the reason I ask is that I was thinking about putting the 32's from my LJ onto the ZJ with a 2" spacer lift. We'll see....

Btw: We put the ZJ under our insurance policy, and my son pays that portion of the premium to us monthly. If he were to get his own policy, the premiums would exceed the vehicles worth after 6 months.
That way he gets the life lesson of paying for insurance, but not being punched with it all at once.

Personally, I’d add him to yours, but have him pay the premium. Throw him a bone.

If he abuses it, well, that’s when the tough love comes in.

That’s how my parents worked it. I payed them the extra money every month which was significantly cheaper than my own policy. Stayed that way till I moved out.

My brother kept getting in to accidents so my parents dropped him and he had to get his own.