A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending

Anyone happen to know the part number on the mirror so I can look for one online? Oh, and the part number for that temp sensor, I'm having trouble finding it.

I just bought the mirror and harness off eBay, brand new (new old stock). Paid $50 for the mirror and $60 for the harness, both brand new.

The sensor is already there on the passenger side of my grille, so I should be able to just plug this in and go.

I hate you guys for making me spend money! ;)

Reactions: Starrs
I just bought the mirror and harness off eBay, brand new (new old stock). Paid $50 for the mirror and $60 for the harness, both brand new.

The sensor is already there on the passenger side of my grille, so I should be able to just plug this in and go.

I hate you guys for making me spend money! ;)
do you have the link or was it a one off auction?

do you have the link or was it a one off auction?

It was a one off auction, but here's another one for a damn good price:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=253606150919

That's the cheapest one on eBay now that I bought mine. I've been reading all morning on this, and it appears that the GNTX-221 is the mirror that came in the later model TJs. It's a universal mirror that was used on Subarus, Lincolns, Fords, Chryslers, etc. In other words, you can get one from just about any late 90s or early 2000s vehicle and it will fit just fine.

You need the factory wiring harness that goes from the dash up to the mirror though, which is part number 56047087AC and looks like this:

71TggNWo4dL._SL1500_.jpg

That wiring harness plugs into the plug right by the passenger side defrost vent. It runs up the A-pillar, and across the windshield header trim, where it then plugs into the mirror.

You can get one of those here:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=183229396732

Note that everything above is for 03-06 models. It may or may not work on earlier years, but I can't confirm that.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
If you want to add a mirror, the GenTex 341 (Sebring convertible mirror) is really nice. It adds homelink and map lights that open with the doors in addition to compass and temperature.

Here is the pinout for the 341:

1-constant 12v
2-no wire
3-ground
4 and 5-temp sensor
6-switched 12v
7-back-up
8-map/door lights
9 and 10-no wire

The 341 pins are smaller than the pins in the factory harness jumper, so they have to be changed (or spliced). The dash side is plug and play and it is already wired for the map/door lights. I guess the penny pinchers changed Gentex mirrors to save money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andersen24 and JMT
If you want to add a mirror, the GenTex 341 (Sebring convertible mirror) is really nice. It adds homelink and map lights that open with the doors in addition to compass and temperature.

Here is the pinout for the 341:

1-constant 12v
2-no wire
3-ground
4 and 5-temp sensor
6-switched 12v
7-back-up
8-map/door lights
9 and 10-no wire

The 341 pins are smaller than the pins in the factory harness jumper, so they have to be changed (or spliced). The dash side is plug and play and it is already wired for the map/door lights. I guess the penny pinchers changed Gentex mirrors to save money.

Damn! Had I known that before I bought this GenTex 221 I would have just got it instead. Oh well I guess! I'll be happy with this 221 even if it's mostly just for aesthetic purposes.

The plug is there for the sensor, but alas, no sensor. Harness it also there behind the dash grill. so I would need a sensor, a mirror, and harness to the mirror. All that so I can know how hot it is outside? Meh.
Today is a good day for me lol. I said no to something haha. Or missed out on something lol either way I kept my money ;)

Does Chris know that his new mirror is also auto darkening? :shh:

Does Chris know that his new mirror is also auto darkening? :shh:

Is it? That’s awesome. I always liked that feature on my other vehicles. It’s nice when you get some jackass behind you. Of course I’m probably taller than most of the other vehicles on the road, but you never know.

Is it? That’s awesome. I always liked that feature on my other vehicles. It’s nice when you get some jackass behind you. Of course I’m probably taller than most of the other vehicles on the road, but you never know.
It helps. Now you'll be blissfully unaware of all the ricers and brodozers with Chinese LED scatter headlights on your tail.

Reactions: Chris
It helps. Now you'll be blissfully unaware of all the ricers and brodozers with Chinese LED scatter headlights on your tail.

Is your temp sensor on the passenger side or drivers side of your grille? Mine is on the passenger side, but then on the drivers side there is an empty plug, and I'm not sure what that's for.

Is your temp sensor on the passenger side or drivers side of your grille? Mine is on the passenger side, but then on the drivers side there is an empty plug, and I'm not sure what that's for.
I didn't look at mine after that link with pics was posted. I'll check tomorrow.