My 99 pops out of gear sometimes. Time to rebuild?

Jeeper_sleeper

It also grinds when shifting sometimes but not often

Does this sound like a big problem? It’s got almost 300,000 km on it.

My friend said it could be bad syncros. Should i wait until more symptoms pop up or should i fix it soon and possibly just rebuild it?

Besides these, there’s no other symptoms. Overall, it still drives fine.
Should i start saving for a transmission rebuild now haha?

It also grinds when shifting sometimes but not often

Does this sound like a big problem? It’s got almost 300,000 km on it.

My friend said it could be bad syncros. Should i wait until more symptoms pop up or should i fix it soon and possibly just rebuild it?

Besides these, there’s no other symptoms. Overall, it still drives fine.
Should i start saving for a transmission rebuild now haha?

A lot of grinds can be fixed or made significantly better with Redline fluid. Pop-outs on the other hand...

It is possible, just shooting the shit here because it has happened to me, that a transfer case drop (even just an inch) can cause 2nd, 4th, and possibly reverse to pop out of gear. When the transfer case is dropped, the transmission is dropped, which means the shifter boot fights the stick and pushes it out of gear because it was never fully engaged in the first place.

But honestly, after that many km's, those brass cones are likely just worn out. Please fill out your profile so people can guide you a little more personally depending on your transmission. If you have a 6 speed it's a no brainer that the Mercedes box full of gravel unit is worn out. The 5 speeds, especially AX15 are pretty durable.

A lot of grinds can be fixed or made significantly better with Redline fluid. Pop-outs on the other hand...

It is possible, just shooting the shit here because it has happened to me, that a transfer case drop (even just an inch) can cause 2nd, 4th, and possibly reverse to pop out of gear. When the transfer case is dropped, the transmission is dropped, which means the shifter boot fights the stick and pushes it out of gear because it was never fully engaged in the first place.

But honestly, after that many km's, those brass cones are likely just worn out. Please fill out your profile so people can guide you a little more personally depending on your transmission. If you have a 6 speed it's a no brainer that the Mercedes box full of gravel unit is worn out. The 5 speeds, especially AX15 are pretty durable.

So how do you fix a transfer case drop?
I have a 5 speed manual. Sorry literally just registered my account.

It doesn’t happen all the time though just once every blue moon

Well, first off, check your fluid. Pop the fill plug and stick your finger in it a little. If you feel fluid, you're pretty good. A transfer case drop is done to correct the pinion angle between the output of the transfer case to the pinion on the rear axle after a lift (sometimes on a 2 or 2.5 in lift it isn't needed. Mine had one at 2.5". If you're not lifted, you don't need and likely don't have a TC drop). The skid plate should be flush and touching the frame. If you see washers or cut cast iron pipe to put a gap between the frame and skid, it's dropped. The only way to fix it is a slip yoke eliminator. That's much, MUCH, more involved and involves transfer case work and new control arms. Most just use a leather shift boot. Mine was a Crown bag.

But as I said, those brass synchros are probably just shot. I wouldn't expect anyone, regardless of how they shift, to get much more than 300k out of a synchromesh gearbox. If you were just grinding, I'd see a fluid or clutch hydraulics issue. High mileage and pop outs point towards a transmission who has simply lived its life.

Last edited:

are you stock or lifte

might be shifter bushings are worn out , under 20 bucks on Amazon

Well, first off, check your fluid. Pop the fill plug and stick your finger in it a little. If you feel fluid, you're pretty good. A transfer case drop is done to correct the pinion angle between the output of the transfer case to the pinion on the rear axle after a lift (sometimes on a 2 or 2.5 in lift it isn't needed. Mine had one at 2.5". If you're not lifted, you don't need and likely don't have a TC drop). The skid plate should be flush and touching the frame. If you see washers or cut cast iron pipe to put a gap between the frame and skid, it's dropped. The only way to fix it is a slip yoke eliminator. That's much, MUCH, more involved and involves transfer case work and new control arms.

But as I said, those brass synchros are probably just shot. I wouldn't expect anyone, regardless of how they shift, to get much more than 300k out of a synchromesh gearbox. If you were just grinding, I'd see a fluid or clutch hydraulics issue. High mileage and pop outs
Well, first off, check your fluid. Pop the fill plug and stick your finger in it a little. If you feel fluid, you're pretty good. A transfer case drop is done to correct the pinion angle between the output of the transfer case to the pinion on the rear axle after a lift (sometimes on a 2 or 2.5 in lift it isn't needed. Mine had one at 2.5". If you're not lifted, you don't need and likely don't have a TC drop). The skid plate should be flush and touching the frame. If you see washers or cut cast iron pipe to put a gap between the frame and skid, it's dropped. The only way to fix it is a slip yoke eliminator. That's much, MUCH, more involved and involves transfer case work and new control arms. Most just use a leather shift boot. Mine was a Crown bag.

But as I said, those brass synchros are probably just shot. I wouldn't expect anyone, regardless of how they shift, to get much more than 300k out of a synchromesh gearbox. If you were just grinding, I'd see a fluid or clutch hydraulics issue. High mileage and pop outs point towards a transmission who has simply lived its life.

ok thank you very much for your insight. Mine is stock so i’ll try to check it using the method you described.

If worn synchro is likely the cause, should i just replace those or rebuild the whole transmission? Not sure how much that would cause and if it would be worth it to just rebuild the whole transmission

Ok thank you very much for your insight. I don’t have the expertise enough to DIY but i’ll take it to a transmission shop very soon

ok thank you very much for your insight. Mine is stock so i’ll try to check it using the method you described.

If worn synchro is likely the cause, should i just replace those or rebuild the whole transmission? Not sure how much that would cause and if it would be worth it to just rebuild the whole transmission

If you have an AX-15 it's pretty okay. The NV boxes are hard to get parts for as NV is out of business

I would drive it but mine is not my only ride so I would address it as soon as you can no sense in tearing up more than is needed