My clutch is going out

CounterEMF

Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I would like to upgrade. Clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, etc. Any suggestions, please. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Yes, go strictly with the Luk clutch kit which is also the OEM the factory installed. This one... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CICYZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Don't bother wanting an upgraded clutch, that Luk is what you want... it is well known to last over 200k miles even when abused. I regularly literally smoked my Luk clutch disk for years while rock crawling and it was still in superb condition at 162k miles when I replaced it as a precaution after having been invited to do an exceptionally tough rock crawling trail.

Especially don't go with a Centerforce like you see advertised everywhere. Centerforce's design is for high rpm/high-hp racing applications where the higher the rpms, the tighter it holds... not something needed or desirable with a TJ.

Luk has a superb reputation, that's the only clutch I will recommend.

This is one of the many times I smoked my previous TJ's Luk clutch. I probably drove on that clutch another 50k miles after that photo was taken.

0a50a5c0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CounterEMF
x2 what Jerry Said!

I replaced the original clutch/pressure plate/flywheel/throw-out bearing at 100,000 miles and you could barely tell the difference from the new one. The only reason I replaced it was because I already had the jeep apart. The only thing I found worn were the throwout bearing, the nylon pivot-ball, and the wire clip that hold the fork to the pivot.